Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 April, 2024, 12:50:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hand throttle  (Read 4940 times)
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« on: 09 May, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »

David Wheeler (or anybody else with an aprilia)
It would be a great help if you could take a couple of photos of the carburettor area of your aprilia, in particular the hand throttle linkages and the location of any return springs that act to close the throttle when you take your foot of the pedal.I would like to reconnect mine but can't fathom it out from the parts book only.

For the hand throttle, I have  the original bracket with sprung arm which mounts on the bulkhead near the carbs but I am missing whatever connecting pieces (rods and springs?) are required to bridge the gap.With 2 carbs instead of one on my car (and yours david), the carb is closer to the bulkhead than would originally have been the case so i'm assuming the hand throttle linkages are modified (shortened connection pieces ) to make this work.The hand lever is a pulling action which must be converted in some way to a rotational movement to act on the throttle lever. I simply cannot visualise from the parts book how this worked.As I said, I currently use the redundant lever to operate the radiator shutters but if I could reinstate the hand throttle I would find another solution for the shutters.
« Last Edit: 09 May, 2007, 06:58:51 PM by Scarpia » Logged
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2007, 04:33:21 PM »

Hi William,
I will try to explain the opperation, but it's a bit difficult without pointing to the bits on the car!!
You will need your parts book! .... The rod 38-63528 & 38-0844A rotate on the mounting plate 38-0848AR, the return spring is the big circular one, 38-63532. The hand throttle acts via lever 38-0848A/IR (which is tapered) onto the nipple on rod 38-63528, thus making the pulling action into a rotational action. The throttle pedal 38-63544 is connected to rod 38-844A via rod 38-63555 using ball and socket  joints. You will need to shorten rod 38-844A to work with your twin carb set up, assuming everything lines up! I hope this makes sence, it won't to anyone reading this without the parts book!!
Will you be on the Sliding Pillar Rally? If so I'll se yu there. Regards Ade Rudler

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »

Ade,

Many thanks for the explanation.Unbelievably to other readers who must think we have some secret coded language, this is clear to me and just the explanation I was looking for. I now understand how the parts in the exploded diagram fit together and can grasp the required actions to get the thing working again. I am missing  rods 38-63528 & 38-0844A described and on my car rod 38-63555 simply links the throttle pedal assembly directly to a rotating lever on the rear of the two carbs ( both carbs then linked by a bar to open simultaneously)
Am I right that you pull the dashboard lever to increase throttle and the tab of metal underneath the sprung arm on the mounting plate 38-0848AR "pulls" on the nipple on 38-63528 to rotate it and open the throttle?
Thanks again for the time and trouble to check all this against the parts book,it's a great help.I hope to make it at least for the sunday to the sliding pillar and possibly the saturday also depending on family commitments.Be nice to see you again.
thanks and regards
William
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »

Yes you are correct about the working of the lever, pulling against the nipple on the rod.  I will look in the Aprilia spares I have left to see if I have the two rods, but I think I let them go with my car when I sold it, as they were not fitted on the car at the time because it had a big carb and I had the same problem as you that everything would have had to been modified to fit, and as Harry Manning used to say "If it works, leave it alone!"
Hope to see you in Belgium. Ade

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »

Sorry, I was away, but it seems your problem has been solved anyway.  Mine is a bit of a botch from a previous owner but seems to work OK.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2007, 07:36:47 PM »

Ade,my sliding pillar preparations turned into a disaster. I left my carbs for cleaning in the hands of a scoundrel before the sliding pillar with the assurance I could collect them before the event. You can guess the rest...I eventually recovered them in worse condition than I left them last week (more than 2 months later.) I hear I missed a really nice weekend.
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »

Hi William, I did wonder why you hadn't made the Sliding Pillar. It was an excellent weekend, perfect weather, lovely driving roads and good food all enjoyed with many like minded friends! Ade.

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd