Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:31:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At the car wash...  (Read 12586 times)
andymc

Is that a Golf with a bodykit?

« on: 20 February, 2012, 11:38:30 PM »

I have always got a list of jobs i would like to do next and try and tick them off at a rate of one or two a year.

Last year was oil leaks and rustproofing but its probably a sign of "getting there" that the first job this year was purely cosmetic.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=252851

1993 integrale Evo 2
Jolly_Club_6
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:25:58 AM »

Stunning job mate, impressed !  Wink
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »

Looks great,
Which arm did you have cut off Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »

Very nice Andy ! - especially the cream cake look Smiley

Did they clean the whole engine bay or just the cam cover ? I've always worried a bit about doing mine (John Brain said best not)

I also noticed from the picture that your speedo reads 20mph at rest - my daughter commented on mine at the weekend at traffic lights Smiley

Nice reference guide to cleaning products used on the various bits though - especially the exhaust which I just tend to use a bit of WD40 on.

How do they know how thin the paint is ? and is yours original paint ?

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

Nice job, the snow foam picture looks good, they did a pre-wash or cleanse before the hand wash.

Steve, there is a device that these people use to measure the thickness of the paint and then they can determine how hard or vigorous they can polish the paintwork, no idea what depth is normal, unless someone here knows?

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Jolly_Club_6
« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »

Looks great,
Which arm did you have cut off Grin

Just my hand, above the wrist.  Grin
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »

Wow......................how divine does she look now...........Smiley

P

Frank Gallagher
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »

Looks fantastic Andy , have a good show at the weekend. Don't think we'll make it this year.

I think you have had coil over suspension fitted since we last spoke how do you find it compared to standard ? What's the ride like etc ? I still have a brand new pair of rear dampers safely tucked away in the loft but the day will pobably come when the change will have to be made.

Steve , just had a quick look at my car and standing still , engine off it reads 12mph and 500 revs ! I always said it looked like it was moving whilst standing still  Wink. I think Andy's car reads in kmph.

I use Autogylm Fast Glass to clean in and around engine bay with a piece of rag on a stick to get at awkward places , also if you remove the
battery and tray and air box this gains a lot of access to inner wings. A light going over with their vinyl /rubber care spray improves the under
bonnet appearance no end. Walkers also told me never to steam clean the engine bay.

Steve
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2012, 10:47:58 PM by SteveGales » Logged
andymc

« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »

Thanks all.

Brian - its a bit of a treat but wasn't extorionate in terms of price. Think 40 visits to your friendly local east european car wash.....

Steve P - they spot clean engine components by brushing on a cleaner, wiping it down and then dressing it to make it look shiny. I guess they must use some water but they were really keen to point out they would only do what was safe. In terms of paint the orginal bits are bonnet, roof and doors and rear quarter panels and one wing. This was where it was thin. Bumpers, tailgate, windscreen scuttle, cills and and one wing have all been painted over the last 5 years. As Neil says they go round the car with a paint thickness guage and this determines how aggressive they can be. In this case the answer was "not very"

Steve G - yes after a lot of consideration I thought I would try some coilovers. These are the RSR ones. At first i thought I had made a huge mistake as they weren't set up correctly but after replacing the drop links, a worn gearbox mount and rear track adjusters I got it properly aligned and am now pleased. The stability in high speed corners is superb and there is far less roll and it also feels like it will have dialed out alot of understeer. Don't believe the ride is vastly improved and it pogos a little at speed which i think is common with firmly sprung short wheelbase cars. I will keep a set of originals in the loft!

Andy
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2012, 08:48:40 PM by andymc » Logged

1993 integrale Evo 2
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »

I am going to show this to the Cubs when bob-a-job week comes around.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 22 February, 2012, 07:32:51 AM »

Ben, you are a hard man !!!!!!!!!!

Andy
nic038
Lapsed

« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »

Top work again Andy.
maybe we should all book in before silverstone, it would be like the lancia production line running again.  Smiley

1994 Delta HF integrale
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 22 February, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »

I'd be amazed if any had completely original paint ...

... and I noticed the coilovers and was going to ask the same question as Steve G - not that I want to change.

I was also thinking it's time to change the wheel bolts on mine to bring that up to standard .... Shocked)

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
andymc

« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:42:09 PM »

Looks great under the lights.

Makes me want to decorate and carpet my garage!!!

1993 integrale Evo 2
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »

I thought that's why you done it ... Smiley

Garage is not carpeted - so I can spot oil leaks Smiley

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: