Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 April, 2024, 01:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Temp/Oil Cooler  (Read 880 times)
Spider2

« on: 26 October, 2023, 11:51:15 AM »

I am thinking of removing the oil cooler on my S1 Sport as I have read they are not really necessary with modern oils and they were only fitted to certain early S1 cars anyway. It really clutters the engine bay and makes cam cover removal/installation less than straightforward.
I am thinking of fitting a sump plug oil temp sensor. Has anyone done this and if so what sort of oil temps are typical on say a 2 hour French motorway drive at 80mph.
Am I correct in thinking the sump plug tread is M22 1.5? Adaptors are readily available to take a 1/4 or 1/8 NPT sensor. Even better would be to wire up the sensor to a wireless/blue tooth transmitter so I can read the oil temp on an app on my phone. I really do not want to spoil the dash with a gauge.
Anyone done this?
Thanks

nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2023, 05:56:57 PM »

Zagato Fulvias tend to run hotter than coupe and berlinas. Something to bear in mind when crusing at 80 mph for hours. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2023, 09:18:15 PM »

If your oil cooler is plumbed with a Lancia oil filter mount then there is a fitting (maybe blanked) for an oil temp sender as the dash clock was replaced by a temperature gauge by the factory. If you have this mount it should have a thermostat to control the oil temp.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Spider2

« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2023, 11:35:38 AM »

It just seems strange that the 1.3 sport did not have an oil cooler but the 1.3s did. I cannot imagine that an extra 4BHP would cause an increase in oil temp. I am guessing Lancia thought that buyer of the "S" model would drive in a more spirited manner.
I assume I have the Lancia oil filter mount. I will look for a blanking plug.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2023, 03:21:06 PM »

It just seems strange that the 1.3 sport did not have an oil cooler but the 1.3s did. I cannot imagine that an extra 4BHP would cause an increase in oil temp. I am guessing Lancia thought that buyer of the "S" model would drive in a more spirited manner.
I assume I have the Lancia oil filter mount. I will look for a blanking plug.
It is round the back and rather difficult to see with a filter in place.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2023, 05:22:56 PM »

Why not keep the oil cooler, after all that’s how it was built. So many people buy aftermarket oil coolers for touring on the continent in a classic…..you’ve already got one 😉
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2023, 05:37:29 AM »

I enjoy the appearance of my oil cooler and oil hoses as part of the underbonnet equipment, and always gain satisfaction in feeling that it is hot following the professional core rebuild using a brass matrix with new hoses.

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2023, 08:12:30 AM »

I enjoy the appearance of my oil cooler and oil hoses as part of the underbonnet equipment, and always gain satisfaction in feeling that it is hot following the professional core rebuild using a brass matrix with new hoses.

Richar
I agree, keep it, as it was original, I had Rallye Coupe but not an 'S' and I can't say I ever missed not having the oil cooler.
On continental runs in my 2c that has only 1091cc and works hard,  but also I've never had a problem, over the Pyrenees and Alps, where it was a lot of low gear work, with lots of revs.
Although I'm sure in the coupe performance envelope there are times when it could come in handy.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Spider2

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2023, 10:31:16 AM »

You are all correct, of course. Why fix something when it ain't broke. A bonus for keeping it is that I have just noticed that there is what looks like an oil temp sender already installed in the base of the oil filter housing. Its small, next to the oil pressure sender. Now I can rig up an oil temp system reading on my phone. I do not want to loose the clock, it looks correct in the panel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd