Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Valve Clearances  (Read 4772 times)
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« on: 07 October, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »

I have looked through all previous posts for Fulvia and can't see any information or advice on setting valve clearances.....surely something done fairly regularly by owners. Have I missed this?

Am I right in saying the clearances on the 1600 are greater than for the 1300? Specifically 0.2mm inlet and 0.3mm exhaust, as opposed to 0.15 and 0.25 respectively on the 1300.

Is there a tool, or something that can be improvised, to adjust clearances?

Any other pitfalls or experience greatly received.

Charles
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »

I don't know anything other than feeler guages and spanners?
« Last Edit: 07 October, 2017, 07:24:53 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »

I also remember that the clearances on 1.6 were different to 1.3.
Omicron used to sell a nice little gadget to help you adjust them finely. It was not expensive and I guess they probably still do them. Otherwise as Richard says, feeler gauges and spanner.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2017, 03:24:55 AM »

I have a lovely gadget that sets tappet clearances based on the required clearance and the thread pitch of the adjustment screw.
The principle is very simple, a 'clicker' system gives an audio output to the angle through which the adjustment screw is turned, which can be translated into a gap measurement based on the thread pitch.
This far too difficult to describe in words ..... here is a link to a currently available version!!

https://www.frost.co.uk/gunson-clikadjust-tappet-adjuster.html

I hope I can find mine as it is so simple ...... Recently I have been using a spanner and feeler gauges, but the tool is far quicker and easier.

Andy
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »

I seem to remember those values quoted are correct.

The clicker adjuster (I have one too) is designed for agricultural machinery with tappet adjusters with a slot in the top. Hence mine has not seen any use on a Lancia as Lancia Fulvia engines use a 3mm? square top.... so you need a little slot spanner (and feeler gauge)

The clicker type of adjuster is great in as much as it takes out wear in the top of the valve stem where it is being hit by the tappet. This may be an issue (was for me on one engine) if the engine has been rebuilt with valves without hardened (stellite) tips. A feeler gauge goes stright across the dent in the top of the valve giving a false reading/ very tappety engine.

I have a lovely gadget that sets tappet clearances based on the required clearance and the thread pitch of the adjustment screw.
The principle is very simple, a 'clicker' system gives an audio output to the angle through which the adjustment screw is turned, which can be translated into a gap measurement based on the thread pitch.
This far too difficult to describe in words ..... here is a link to a currently available version!!

https://www.frost.co.uk/gunson-clikadjust-tappet-adjuster.html

I hope I can find mine as it is so simple ...... Recently I have been using a spanner and feeler gauges, but the tool is far quicker and easier.

Andy

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »

Great information thanks.

I will contact Omicron on Monday!

I measured about 3.5mm for the top of the adjuster......will a 4mm spanner work? Or modify a 3mm spanner?

Where is the best place to measure clearances...top of valve or top of the short pushrod?

Sorry for all the questions , but I want to get it right.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »

I use a small adjustable spanner and remeasure after locking up. I measure between the push rod and tappet and directly on the valve for those without pushrods.. It is a bit fiddly on the Fulvia

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator