Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:26:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OIL COOLER HOSE FAILURE  (Read 9165 times)
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #15 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:36:07 PM »

Hope it is ok, a rumble is probably not as bad as a knocking, mains rumble, ends knock, fingers crossed 

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« Reply #16 on: 30 August, 2017, 10:28:15 PM »

Thanks again for your contributions, hopefully the damage won't be too bad but I'm prepared for the worst if necessary.
I will be exploring the idea of dispensing with the oil cooler. It would save money on a new hose for starters, although blanking off will have a cost but I guess will be less. The big benefit would be peace of mind as if I continue with the cooler I may spend more time watching the oil pressure gauge than the road, checking for the slightest sign that it's about to blow again.
The Flavia isn't subjected to prolonged driving at speeds, abuse, high mileage and has a yearly oil/filter change which is every 3,000 miles max. I was advised to use Valvoline. I presume an oil temp gauge can be fitted to monitor the situation and i presume if needed the cooler can be refitted.
I have got some good photos of the Flavia from yesterday outside Derek Jarman's cottage and garden in Dungeness which I'll post on the Flavia Facebook page in due course as I can't figure out how to post them here.

peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »

Hi Mike

To post photos you click on the Additional Options below the text box and then click on Choose File option, then select the photo file to add. You can add extra photos by clicking on the more attachments option.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »

Hi Mike

To post photos you click on the Additional Options below the text box and then click on Choose File option, then select the photo file to add. You can add extra photos by clicking on the more attachments option.

Peter
and make sure they are small photo files..... c1mb? I tried 4mb and failed....Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »

I think removing it is the best option if the engine can work without it. I had the opportunity to fit an oil cooler to my 1300 Fulvia. After a bit of thought I decided not to because it's an extra complication and something else to go wrong. Plus of course, Lancia didn't think it necessary to fit one to my Fulvia to start with. As you say, you can keep it and it will nag at you every time you drive the car or remove it and never have another problem with it, ever.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »

Lets face it,  we don't exactly live in a tropical climate Roll Eyes

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« Reply #21 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:05:38 PM »

I contacted Omicron who told me that oil cooler hose end fittings are unobtainable and that they refit the old ones.However they found that using too much pressure to crimp the end on results in failure and that their contractor knows just the right amount of pressure to set the crimping machine at.I was also advised not to dispense with an oil cooler as this would disturb the oil's natural flow.
I went to see the mechanic who looks after the car and we had a useful discussion and agreed that the first thing to do is to get the car into his workshop drop the sump and assess the extent of any damage.
The work can't be scheduled in for a week or more and I guess the Flavia won't be back on the road for sometime.
With global warming is the present climate in East Sussex comparable with Italy's 47 years ago? As an increasing proportion of the local population now wear shorts all year (for non sporting purposes)I do wonder.
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #22 on: 02 September, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »

A solution might be to replace the existing oil cooler with a modern one?

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 03 September, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »

I contacted Omicron who told me that oil cooler hose end fittings are unobtainable and that they refit the old ones.However they found that using too much pressure to crimp the end on results in failure and that their contractor knows just the right amount of pressure to set the crimping machine at.I was also advised not to dispense with an oil cooler as this would disturb the oil's natural flow.
I went to see the mechanic who looks after the car and we had a useful discussion and agreed that the first thing to do is to get the car into his workshop drop the sump and assess the extent of any damage.
The work can't be scheduled in for a week or more and I guess the Flavia won't be back on the road for sometime.
With global warming is the present climate in East Sussex comparable with Italy's 47 years ago? As an increasing proportion of the local population now wear shorts all year (for non sporting purposes)I do wonder.
Mike I may be wrong but I think the access to big ends is through a panel at the top of the engine. Remove the carb/manifold etc and starter motor to access. You cannot get to main bearings without the engine removed as you need to split the crankcase. This is very expensive. I suspect you may have started to run a bigend and you may get away with fitting a new set of shells.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« Reply #24 on: 03 September, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »

Thanks for the info about access to the big ends. I think I'll contact Colin from the Flavia Consortium to ask about this and other issues such as can the engine be run without an oil cooler.I suspect I'll also need advice about sourcing parts once the extent of the damage is identified.
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #25 on: 27 September, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »

Mike,

I know this is probably a bit late, as I have only just seen your post.

I concur with Tim about "Anglia Hose and Hydraulics", they are very good, and know their stuff, I have had them make up all sorts of hoses, not only for my Flavia, but also for my old motorbikes, and they have always been first class.

In addition DON`t use anyone who re-uses the old end fittings !

I hope it all turns out well.

Bob

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: