Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:24:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OIL COOLER HOSE FAILURE  (Read 9164 times)
Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« on: 29 August, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »

Bugger-hope the damage isn't too bad!
Went to the Lancia Club meeting tonight and about a mile or so from home noticed the engine making rumbling noises. Coasted back home with engine off and once in garage obvious what problem is. One of the oil cooler hoses has come apart denuding the engine of oil.I suppose won't know until a new hose is fitted what the damage to the engine is. At night needle on oil pressure gauge difficult to see so may not have noticed pressure dropping until too late.
Have been out in the Flavia all day and it was running great.
New hoses were fitted last year only a thousand miles or so, not happy at the moment.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:18:15 PM »

Bugger-hope the damage isn't too bad!
Went to the Lancia Club meeting tonight and about a mile or so from home noticed the engine making rumbling noises. Coasted back home with engine off and once in garage obvious what problem is. One of the oil cooler hoses has come apart denuding the engine of oil.I suppose won't know until a new hose is fitted what the damage to the engine is. At night needle on oil pressure gauge difficult to see so may not have noticed pressure dropping until too late.
Have been out in the Flavia all day and it was running great.
New hoses were fitted last year only a thousand miles or so, not happy at the moment.
Commiserations and everything crossed Roll Eyes

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:25:04 PM »

Thanks Brian.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2017, 06:31:41 AM »

Hope you switched off in time!! Good luck.

Andy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »

Fingers crossed for you Mike, hope theres a happy ending!

P

Frank Gallagher
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2017, 07:30:01 AM »

I had this on my Fulvia once but luckily noted the oil pressure had disappeared. No damage done to the engine. Hope the same for you.

A photo of the damage to the hose would be interesting. I have yet to remake the existing original hoses on my Flavia (did 500 miles over the weekend - was I taking a risk??).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
BlueKSO

63 Flavia Coupe

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »

Disaster!!  Bad news Mike. 

Heading home from the same meeting in my coupe with very dim panel illumination it occurred to me that I had no idea what was going on under the bonnet.

Where exactly did the hose let go ?  Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Cheers,  Peter

Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »

Hi firstly thanks for all the good wishes and advice.
The hoses were  replaced in Feb '16 when the garage I use got a replacement made for my leaking original oil cooler.Since then it's done less than 4,000 kilometers.
The hoses were made by Pirtek of Crawley who operate as a franchise all over the UK and Europe,and have a mobile fitting system.From what I gather they reused the old end fittings. The hose has failed at the engine end where the "Banjo" joint is crimped to the hose.
This morning I contacted the guy who runs the Crawley franchise who basically said hard luck, at one point saying "I shouldn't be telling you this but basically we're not supposed to mend old hoses".He told me that his records show it was tested to 120 psi.
I've been in touch with the garage that fitted them who is going to get back to me once he's given the matter some thought.
Obviously the first thing to do is get a replacement hose and in view of this experience I'll not be using Pirtek. Please can anyone suggest the best option for getting one?
What sort of pressure should the oil be going round at as 120 psi seems more than it would be subjected to.Indeed I wonder if a couple of jubilee clips would suffice??
Why does the car have an oil cooler? Is it because of hotter temperatures in Italy or because it's a flat 4? It's the first car I've owned that has one, I've always thought it's the type of thing that mini coopers used to have.I'll try adding some pics in a separate post. Thanks Mike
Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »

Sorry can't work out how to upload my photos of the offending part!
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #9 on: 30 August, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »

Hope it is OK
as to why it has an oil cooler I think it is to do with the oil used back in the 60s the more modern Fulvias do not have one see p93 of Weernink's " The Lancia Fulvia and Flavia"
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 30 August, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »

Think it was probably more a case of more standard equipment in the 'S' not thought necessary on my Rallye coupe, or my 2c.
Can't say i've ever felt it necessary, including a day crossing Spain in 90f heat, from Salamanca to Pamplona.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Mike Anderson
Lapsed

« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 30 August, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »

From what I gather they reused the old end fittings. The hose has failed at the engine end where the "Banjo" joint is crimped to the hose.
This morning I contacted the guy who runs the Crawley franchise who basically said hard luck, at one point saying "I shouldn't be telling you this but basically we're not supposed to mend old hoses".He told me that his records show it was tested to 120 psi.

Obviously the first thing to do is get a replacement hose and in view of this experience I'll not be using Pirtek. Please can anyone suggest the best option for getting one?
What sort of pressure should the oil be going round at as 120 psi seems more than it would be subjected to.Indeed I wonder if a couple of jubilee clips would suffice??
Why does the car have an oil cooler? Is it because of hotter temperatures in Italy or because it's a flat 4?

Mike

I lost my oil when the hose parted company to its aeroquip union that I had temporarily lashed up with a very strong jubilee clip. Dont follow my example. Also where I have my hoses made at Anglia hydraulics and Hoses they refuse to remake the old terminations which means I lose some originality and pay a bigger bill! Its how they guarantee their work.

I think the oil cooler is there for Italian summer climate and continuous "high speed" (at c4000 all day long) driving. Not sure about the Flavia but the Rallye S and HF Fulvias were fitted with oil coolers that had a thermostat switch so would not open before c80C (you can on the Fulvia oil pressure gauge after a bit of a hot run the oil pressure drops slightly as this valve opens and gves the oil pump more work to do). I would suspect there would be a thermostat as you dont want the oil to be unnecessarily cooled as this would be detrimental to the engine. I notice on my Flavia it builds up heat on log motorway journeys so I am grateful we have this accessory.....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
brian
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 30 August, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

My Flavia Sport has had the cooler removed. I use a 2000 oil filter and pressure sender and now have much more space around the left front spark plug and the whole bay looks tidier. The 2000 did not ever have a separate oil cooler so I think that the assessment of being needed for 1960s oil is probably right.

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »

As far as I know all Flaminias have an oil cooler. I suspect it was just the quality level Lancia worked to then. Presumably this carried over to the Flavia initially till costs started to be cut.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd