Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:45:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Subframe outriggers  (Read 3728 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 24 June, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »

Can anybody tell me if the Fulvia subframe outriggers can be removed/replaced without removing the entire subframe.  One of mine (S2 Coupe) was replaced by the previous owner. I'd like to remove the other one to take a closer look at it, and I'd like to get a better look at the mounting boxes.  It looks like it should be possible to remove the outriggers, but I'd appreciate any advice on where the car/subframe needs to be supported (jacks, axle stands) during their removal.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2017, 06:50:14 PM »

I guess with 68 "reads" and not a single comment I must have been doing/saying something wrong!  I suppose my ignorance was not worth commenting on.  Misled by the two bolts on the outrigger (which I now understand are for the crossmember) and by the fact that outrigger sections are available to purchase, I wrongly assumed that the outrigger might be a bolt-on part.  After closer inspection, and  some feedback on Facebook, I now understand that the outrigger is an integral part of the subframe and can only be replaced by welding.  One of the problems of being new to the mechanical side of things is that I ask stupid questions sometimes! Bear with me - there'll be more I'm sure!

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »

Hi Norm
I am quite sure that in the past plenty of subframe outrigger welding repairs have been carried out with the subframes still in situ.
As you have now discovered however to do the job properly the subframe needs to be removed. It is quite likely that with the frame separated from the car you will find areas of the main part of the frame that need attention as well as the outriggers.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »

Thanks Ben.  It will be interesting to see what the rest of the subframe looks like when out of the car.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Mr Dunamis
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »

Sorry late to the party but they can be successfully replaced with out removing the whole subframe.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2017, 11:19:38 PM »

Thanks Adrian.  Can you elaborate on what is involved with regard to how to support the car and subframe while the outrigger is removed prior to replacement.   I'm still angling towards removing the subframe completely, but am interested to understand other options.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Mr Dunamis
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »

I didn't carryout the job personally the work was carried out by Omicron. I'm sure if you gave them a phone call they would let you know the procedure; but I'm pretty sure they used a jig of some kind.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2017, 08:43:40 PM »

I did the job many years ago and repaired the boxes at the same time. If the outrigger has gone then it probable that there will be some issues with the sills/boxes

If that is the case, the best (only ??) way to do it properly is to cut off the bottom 8-10 inches of the outer wing so that you can get at it. Not as scary as it sounds because good replacement panels are available, so get those first and cut off to that height

The boxes and sill sections are easy to remake if you have the dimensions (available) - it just takes a bit of time and care and can be done in a normal garage

I repainted to the waistline on each side, in front of the door

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd