Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:57:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake advice please!  (Read 15123 times)
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #30 on: 31 July, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »

Somebody tell me if I'm talking rubbush but I also think you have to wet the inside of the M/C with brake fluid before you reinsert the refurbished piston otherwise the new seals can tear.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #31 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »

I usually apply the special brake grease but if this is not available, brake fluid should be OK, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 31 July, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »

The bores should always be lubricated for re-assembly. I have always simply used brake fluid. I hope all the work goes well and a successful result!!

Andy

Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »

Past Parts have looked at my MC and after re-sleeving and not getting the MC working have come to the conclusion that what they're calling the 'secondary piston' is damaged.

Not sure how this could have happened as I was very careful the whole way along. Perhaps the vigorous brake pumping...? Anyway that's all a bit moot since I'm now faced with the pretty rubbish situation that unless I can source said piston I'll have to not only purchase a new/refurbed MC but also recompense Past Parts for their efforts. :-(

Before I go this rather frustrating (and expensive!) route does  anyone happen to have a Fulvia's MC internals going spare they'd be willing to sell?!
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #34 on: 24 September, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »

I have just had the same problem with my master cylinder . The pedal went straight to the floor . I ordered seals from omicron , put it all back together an it's spot on ! Perfect brake pedal after bleeding , there was some light scoring on the bore of the mc and this does not seem to cause any problem . I spoke to omicron and they said they can re sleeve the mc . They have to see how much work there will need to be done to it before they will give me a price . The brakes are fine for now but this will probably have to be done sooner rather than later . Thanks . David .

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #35 on: 25 September, 2017, 06:28:11 AM »

Scott
Sent you a pm.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #36 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:58:18 PM »

Quick question on this topic as the master cylinder is next on my list to do - is it as straightforward as unbolting everything to get it off the car? Had a look and it seems like it should be OK but want to be sure before I start. Having read through the thread I have decided to send mine to PastParts, they look to have done a great job on the rear calipers so I'm happy to use them again. No idea if there is anything wrong with my m/c but as the car has stood for nearly 30 years it seems a sensible precaution.

Also wondering about getting the servo refurbed at the same time (assuming this is possible) - any thoughts?
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #37 on: 30 September, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »

Yes, get the servo refurbished.  I had mine done a while ago and cannot now trace who did it but this website   http://www.jlspares.com/  looks familiar.  Note the thread on getting the length of the piston rod right!   Taking it off is easy.  Taking the master cylinder off is also easy in theory and you can leave it attached to the servo (I think) but undoing the unions can be a pig.   Have you had the front calipers done as well?  And replaced the hoses? (from Omicron).  Then you could change to Dot4 fluid.   And get yourself a vacuum bleed kit!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #38 on: 30 September, 2017, 03:05:06 PM »

David

Do you mean change to Dot 5 silicone as all the system needs to be new and clean from old hydraulic fluid....

Yes, get the servo refurbished.  I had mine done a while ago and cannot now trace who did it but this website   http://www.jlspares.com/  looks familiar.  Note the thread on getting the length of the piston rod right!   Taking it off is easy.  Taking the master cylinder off is also easy in theory and you can leave it attached to the servo (I think) but undoing the unions can be a pig.   Have you had the front calipers done as well?  And replaced the hoses? (from Omicron).  Then you could change to Dot4 fluid.   And get yourself a vacuum bleed kit!

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #39 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I've had the rear calipers rebuilt by PastPart so far and they have said they can do the master cylinder and should be able to do the servo. Once I've had them done I'll get the front calipers rebuilt. I haven't got a big enough garage to get right round the car so currently sorting the rear then will get the car out to do the front.

Interesting thought about the fluid to use, I'm changing the flexible hoses but not planning to replace the metal pipes as they are still OK.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #40 on: 02 October, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I've had the rear calipers rebuilt by PastPart so far and they have said they can do the master cylinder and should be able to do the servo. Once I've had them done I'll get the front calipers rebuilt. I haven't got a big enough garage to get right round the car so currently sorting the rear then will get the car out to do the front.

Interesting thought about the fluid to use, I'm changing the flexible hoses but not planning to replace the metal pipes as they are still OK.
I have found it ok to flush the metal pipes and compensator through with silicon fluid as part of the bleeding process. I changed the Silicon fluid on my Sport after 11 years as the purple had started to fade. No water of nasty corrosion came out of any of the calipers.....

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator