Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1967 Lancia Fulvia 2c  (Read 5433 times)
balderz
Lapsed

« on: 07 July, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »

Well, its been short lived, but I don't want this car any more.

She is lovely, but she hasn't worked for me properly since I got her, and after paying £800 in garage costs, she still doesn't want to play ball.

Currently she turns over but wont fire. I drove her back from work a week ago fine. Its happened before, and it appeared that the fuel was running back into the tank as there was no pressure keeping it in the line.. I'm sure this would be an easy fix for someone with any kind of mechanical skill, but I have none, I just want something that will just work.

I'm sure you have all seen the thread on her in the Fulvia section. So any other questions, please ask away.

Since I have had her, I have had inertia belts fitted front and back, I still have the statics for the front which came with the car. I had fitted new Italy style mirrors from a company called Holden vintage and classic. Still have the clip on overtaking mirror the came with. As the cars speedo is in Km's, I have recently bought a GPS speedo that can do both mph and kph. I so include that also. Not long before I got it, it had a new exhaust fitted. I also have fitted replacement aluminium number plates, with an Italian sized front. Full sized plastic ones included. I have bills for the works carried out, and also a bit of history from the previous owner in Scotland, and a load of Italian paperwork.

I know I would love to get the money back what I paid, but think that's unrealistic, so sensible offers will be listened to.
« Last Edit: 07 July, 2017, 07:22:03 PM by balderz » Logged
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »

Well, its been short lived, but I don't want this car any more.

She is lovely, but she hasn't worked for me properly since I got her, and after paying £800 in garage costs, she still doesn't want to play ball.

Currently she turns over but wont fire. I drove her back from work a week ago fine. Its happened before, and it appeared that the fuel was running back into the tank as there was no pressure keeping it in the line.. I'm sure this would be an easy fix for someone with any kind of mechanical skill, but I have none, I just want something that will just work.

I'm sure you have all seen the thread on her in the Fulvia section. So any other questions, please ask away.

Since I have had her, I have had inertia belts fitted front and back, I still have the statics for the front which came with the car. I had fitted new Italy style mirrors from a company called Holden vintage and classic. Still have the clip on overtaking mirror the came with. As the cars speedo is in Km's, I have recently bought a GPS speedo that can do both mph and kph. I so include that also. Not long before I got it, it had a new exhaust fitted. I also have fitted replacement aluminium number plates, with an Italian sized front. Full sized plastic ones included. I have bills for the works carried out, and also a bit of history from the previous owner in Scotland, and a load of Italian paperwork.

I know I would love to get the money back what I paid, but think that's unrealistic, so sensible offers will be listened to.
Neil please Dont give up on Emilia.
What you are talking about is usually easily fixed as its a common problem that we don't really understand, it is normally cured by fixing an electric priming pump, this is used for pulling fuel up to prime the carbs, and as long as you aren't tempted to use the throttle until after she's fired up with choke on, she'll start every time.
 By trying to churn the engine over to  start her, I'd lay money that you've wet the plugs, once that happens she will never start until you've removed and dried, and cleaned the plugs.
Starting is really a case of technique, with or without an electric pump,  I would doubt its anything else
other than possibly  electrics, but if you paid a garage to sort her, why not have a word with them, as they should have some responsibility .
If a Fulvia owner nearer to you  doesn't offer to help, I'll gladly come up with my toolkit, before you make a final decision to find her a new home.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
balderz
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »

Hey Brian, thanks for the help over the months. I think its got to a stage where its the wife or the car. She was never happy i bought it. Its gonna be cheaper and less hassle to get rid of the car.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »

Sounds like a petrol pump outlet valve problem to me where the fuel is being allowed to drain back although of course there should still be fuel in the carbs from the previous journey. Whatever it is, it's easily fixed I would have said.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2017, 04:46:01 PM »

Just in case you give it one last chance, here's my experiences. When I first had my coupe I had similar problems. Being mostly for fun at weekends it sometimes would turnover without firing. When I took it to my first Lancia meeting at Goodwood one of the Fulvia gurus asked me if I had trouble starting it sometimes? When I said 'yes' he said 'Get rid of those', pointing to the rubber boots on the spark plug cables. He explained they harbour condensation. I did, and at once there was a big improvement. However, leaving it for any great length of time led to a hit or miss situation, with the battery being used up just pulling fuel through. This has been 100% totally cured by fitting an electric fuel pump. I fitted it about 10 years ago and it has literally never failed to start since. Because of the winters and salt we get here it will sometimes sit from the end of November until end of February. I simply screw the Dis-Car-Nect device into the battery and away it goes.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
balderz
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »

This is all good info for a new owner. Thanks for the tips stanley, might try it when I wheel her out of the garage next time round.
balderz
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2017, 05:24:36 PM »

Car is now sold and with the new owner.
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2017, 06:57:51 AM »

Delighted to say I am the new owner!  I think the starting issue is because the battery is draining and doesn't have enough oomph to start the car.
I always book my 2000hf to a trickle charger for similar reasons.
Anyhow, got the Fulvia home yesterday and hooked it up to the trickle charger last night so this morning will be the acid test - report to follow!!
Had to get recovery yesterday because the Fulvia was going to overheat. Set off and temperature climbed and climbed to just under 100 Deg C. Stopped and let her cool down  - there's a small leak from the top of the radiator. Thought it might be a stuck thermostat but the recovery guys prized off the hose to reveal that there is no thermostat! General consensus is that the radiator needs a good flushing. Although when I added some water with engine running the water wasn't flowing through the top of the radiator as I would have expected - not as it would on my previous Fulvia series 2 and 3 coupes.
Anyhow I am absolutely delighted to own the Berlina and will get the overheating sorted out and go from there. BTW - the engine runs very smoothly, ticks over very nicely so I don't think there are fuelling issues.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:08:01 AM »

Great the Fulvia has found a new home "in house", do let us know what transpires!

P

Frank Gallagher
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:16:51 AM »

Will do - I think I should start a new thread in the Fulvia section or continue with existing thread; in fact the original thread would be best as it contains the complete history of the car since import into the UK.  Going there now!

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »

You could link this thread to it for reference and continue, or Steve might come along and amalgamate the two!

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd