Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:41:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LMC Promotional Leaflets  (Read 4348 times)
2Lancialan

« on: 26 June, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »

I'm delighted to have received some leaflets with the latest (June 2017) edition of Viva Lancia, to help promote the club and to attract some new members. I'd also be delighted to take some along with me to various classic car events and to hand them out to prospective new members. I note however that the banner photo features four left hand drive cars, all driven by men, (with one slightly terrified looking lady in the Integrale's passenger seat), no young drivers/passengers and nobody from any ethnic minority community either driving or a passenger. I therefore have to ask the question: Is this consistent with the image that the LMC is currently trying to project?
Ciao,
Alan
srawlins

« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:45:50 PM »

I'm delighted to have received some leaflets with the latest (June 2017) edition of Viva Lancia, to help promote the club and to attract some new members. I'd also be delighted to take some along with me to various classic car events and to hand them out to prospective new members. I note however that the banner photo features four left hand drive cars, all driven by men, (with one slightly terrified looking lady in the Integrale's passenger seat), no young drivers/passengers and nobody from any ethnic minority community either driving or a passenger. I therefore have to ask the question: Is this consistent with the image that the LMC is currently trying to project?
Ciao,
Alan

I would hazard a guess that, of the entire LMC membership, males between the ages of 30 to 75 form the largest percentage.

I may be totally incorrect in that assumption, but I would be surprised if women or ethnic minority groups were more numerous.

I would hope we would appeal to potential new members on the strength of our collective passion for the marque, rather than the perceived gender/race/age on a promotional flyer.

Although I do not tick the ethnic minority box - I am a female and I currently own both left hand drive (Thesis) and right hand drive Lancias.

No - there are no women in the driving seat on the flyers.....nor is there a Thesis. Am I annoyed? Concerned that the LMC does not represent my interests?

Of course not! You cannot please all of the people all of the time. I cannot see that race, gender, age, religion, political leaning etc etc should bear any relation to joining a car club.

As long as there is a Lancia (or three!) on the promotional material..........then job done, IMHO.

« Last Edit: 01 July, 2017, 07:31:02 AM by srawlins » Logged
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »

Well put. Smiley

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2017, 02:15:07 PM »

I might be wrong but I'd be very surprised if these shots were taken specifically just for a free flyer - the photography cost would be monstous unless a club member volunteered.  I suspect these are shots from elsewhere and therefore not tailored to suit specific demographics.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
2Lancialan

« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »

Well, I was merely making an observation about the content of the leaflets, so I'm a little surprised by the reaction I've received. However as I was discussing last week with Tim Heath, the club's Press Officer and prospective new club President, I believe that the club needs to promote greater diversity and a much broader appeal, if it is going to achieve much success in attracting new members. Now what could possibly be wrong with that suggestion?

Surely the LMC shouldn't just be for Lancia aficionados or purists. The club needs to attract more women enthusiasts, younger people, families and people from a wider range of ethnic and cultural backgrounds. There are an awful lot of people out there who have never seen or even heard of a Lancia, for reasons that we all understand, so this is something I think that the club needs to try and tackle.

I was disappointed with the promotional leaflets the club has produced, as they seemed to be a bit narrowly focused in their appeal and might be portraying a certain kind of image to prospective new members, that might not necessarily be the one that the club wants to project.

As for your point about the LHD cars featured in the photo, well surely we should have featured some RHD cars too. After all, this is a predominately UK based club and there are still an awful lot of RHD cars still around, that are more suitable for UK use.

I take the point about the artwork and the availability of suitable photos, but perhaps in future we should try to feature the club's own photos, or those from club members, to provide a more personal appeal, rather than using commercially available images.

As for myself, well certainly I fall into the category of the middle aged 30 - 75 year old males who comprise the majority of the club's membership. However I wanted a Lancia when I was in my late teens and I have owned Lancias of one kind or another for the last 40 years or so. Wouldn't it be good if we could spark a bit of interest in our wonderful cars from a younger and more diverse selection of enthusiasts.

Ciao,

Alan
DELTONA

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:22:09 PM »

I realise my response to the various posts about the promotional leaflets is ridiculously late - however as they say better late than never. Also I must add before any further debate is raised I am not a committee member and have just volunteered to look at any design work/promotional material (in between running a design agency and the usual family commitments one has when having a 3 and a 5 year old) when I can as its what I do as a day job. First and foremost when any new material is called upon one of its main objectives is to improve upon what the club already has - amoungst other criteria of course. With this in mind for those of you who remember the old one - I think I have succeeded in bringing it to at the very least this century. Design as we all know is subjective and to a large extent there is no real right or wrong unless we have any typographers amongst us here. I recieve feedback or criticism call it what you will everyday for the work/designs I produce therefore I am not precious before that wand is waved - I say if its consructive the more the merrier - I've been in the industry too long to be a prima donna. With regards to the 2 images in question, I was prepared for the " why isn't there a LANCIA etc etc or a LANCIA etc etc in there? " However what the authors of these fair questions need to be made aware of before asking them is; do you have any idea how long and what a process of committee agreeance takes with a club such as ours? or maybe the element of cost and what I mean by that is a cost of a photoshoot, and all the subsequent issues of owners of various models meeting up in one location, on the same day, all insured and the hiring or use of a private road and above all praying to the heavens above not to rain? I hazard a guess here but I think the answer maybe 'no'. Therefore when you are called upon to design/create such a leaflet as this with: a) no money or budget   b) whatever image you use needs to be legal i.e.: have the owners permission 3) show the largest selection of LANCIAs you can find. With all of this in mind what I did was research and find one of the worlds best automotive photographers working today, upon doing so this particular individual believe it or not happened to have photographed one of the largest selection of Lancias on a private track in decades and hey presto this was my ticket to getting the best images I could muster up without any cost to our club. Seems easy enough? well not quite it took the best part of 2 months and many many emails to many many individuals in the US and also a couple of late night/early morning phone calls to get the permission to finally use the 2 images you see on the leaflet.

The point and the awareness I am trying to make here is, how long and what lengths of organisation would it take to get all the LANCIA models, the correct demographic of human being i.e: male, female, old, young, middle aged etc etc to get that perfect image or a selection of perfect individual images? The answer I reckon is thousands of pounds, so its do-able and at the next AGM everyone is happy that we have all the LANCIAs and correct demographic of people in the image on the leaflet BUT then we will all complain that the club has spent a ridiculous amount of money on 2 photographs!! Come on people lets see it for what it is, its a leaflet trying to entice new blood to join our club and thats it no more no less - so if it hasn't got a specific LANCIA on there you have picked out I don't think its going to put a potential new member off joining just because that particular model is not on the leaflet.

1993 LANCIA HF integrale | 1969 LANCIA Fulvia Coupe 1.3 Rallye S | 1972 FIAT 695 Elaborazione ABARTH | 1982 FIAT 127 1300GT | 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA | 2010 Alfa Romeo 159ti TBI
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »

I am conscious that we always need to be aware of "what message are we sending". To that extent there is some merit in at least being aware of the demographic we are portraying. I think we actually have more of a problem with the socio-economic group the club represents rather than the age or gender profile. On the whole I find the club to be focussed on comfortably off, middle class people. I know of Lancia owners who avoid the club because of that.

My point is that you can find any number of ways in which the club is narrow in the way it projects itself. The easiest solution on a flyer is not to show people. Let the cars speak for themselves.

As to which cars to feature, looking at the new membership list the most popular cars (so perhaps the ones most likely to attract new members) are Fulvia, Beta and Delta. Add to that the pivotal designs from Lancia's history (Lambda, Aprilia and Aurelia) and you have the perfect mix.

Finally I greatly doubt there would be difficulty in getting a competent, or even expert, member to provide suitable images which, with the license plates blanked out, the car owners would be proud to see on the club flyer.

Of course I would consider a Dedra Station Wagon, a Y10 Fire and a Flaminia Berlina to be the best representation of the perfect (middle aged male) club member.
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »

From my own experience and having produced the website it is really difficult to get 'plain' pictures of cars. I wouldn't have believed it ( and am always looking a few good ones ) but taking into account things like weather , relections, surrounding objects it has always been challenging .... I'm also colour blind and don't have photoshop which doesn't help Smiley

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2017, 12:04:52 AM »

I think that it's good that we have a new flyer that we can hand out, and I was also suprised to see the cars used.
Having read Deltonas reply and the problems involved, I think all that remains to be said is that all comments be taken into account for next time; and our thanks to those involved in its production Smiley
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd