Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 04:48:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lambda leaf springs  (Read 5741 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 19 June, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »

Old Boot's rear springs have developed negative curvature which probably is implicated in her slightly unpredictable steering (all else being in vg condition).   Has anyone had any made recently or can advise re. a spring maker and also specifications?

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »

I was talking to someone last week on the SPR about broken leaf springs on Lambdas ! They said that they had remade the first leaf for about £50 each

I can't remember who it was (I talked to a lot of people !!) but can probably work it out if no-one comes forward

Senility at 52 !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »

I was at the SP, but no Lambda spring talking to Simon (or the wine tasting must have erased my memory...)

But I did ask some offers here localy to have the complete rear spring pack remade and this varied from 500/750 Euro per spring.

I'm still looking into the parts I received tough, trying to get a grip on the leaves I still have here, comparing them to the drawings.
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »

It was Mike Wheeler, whose Lambda broke a spring on its way to Fobello last year. He was in his March Augusta this year. Regards, John
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2017, 04:11:30 PM »

I sent the springs to Jones Springs and had many discussions with Kev.  I supplied him with John Vessey's 1926 Rolls-Royce figures and he set up the springs accordingly.   I had the devil of a job to fit them as they were in effect too short and they then looked to set the car much too high when I lowered it to the ground.  I went and had a cup of tea and a think and returned with a lever with which I levered the shackles into a more reasonable position accompanied by a groaning from the shock absorbers(!).   She was still sitting a bit high but I have bounced around some Cumbrian back roads and they are now exactly right.   Moreover, she steers much better, partly due to having firmer back springs and partly, I think, due to correction of the castor angle.    Conclusion - money well spent and Kev at Jones Springs know exactly what to do to set up later rear springs.
« Last Edit: 21 August, 2017, 01:02:53 PM by davidwheeler » Logged

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »

Reading David's post, and with the help of his 'data sheet', I set out on investigating the remains of Lambda rear leafs I received with my project.  I was told it was an incomplete set so never gave the box much attention, but now with, thanks to David, all the data at hand thought it might be worthwile.

It turns out I have two complete springs, albeit with one main leave obviously being a poor quality refabrication.
They have rust and pitting, but I feel they will do ok once cleaned and treated.
I will however have the two main leaves remade new, as I feel those are the most important with regards to safety.

I started sandblasting the top (counter) leaves and found markings stamped in the leaves.  Now I wonder off course if anyone knows the meaning of those...

Both leafs are marked "26" in big near the center hole

One leaf is further to the end marked "N430" and "K310"
The other is marked "N435" and "K300"

In order for the 'data sheet' to be more readable for us continentals I re-typed in in excell and converted to metric see attached.

Any idea's on the meaning of these markings?

* data rear spring leaves.pdf (31.37 KB - downloaded 222 times.)

* P1080996 (Large).JPG (332.14 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 380 times.)

* P1080997 (Large).JPG (310.33 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 387 times.)

* P1080998 (Large).JPG (301.04 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 384 times.)

* P1080999 (Large).JPG (239.31 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 375 times.)
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »

Glad to see that the notes my father made at R-R when he was in the experimental department and was responsible for dismantling and calibrating the suspension of the Lambda R-R bought are proving useful.

His note book went to the R-R archive at Paulsbury after I sent copies to John Vessey as it contained information on R-R engines and other items not just the Lambda notes.

Don

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »

Well, stap me!

Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »

Dear Don,

Is there a copy of this study available for interested readers?  I always found it a very intriguing story, but have a feeling the study might disclose more interesting knowledge about our favourite car...

with thanks,

Koen
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

I gave John Vessey a photo copy for the Consortium don't know if the Consortium still has it.  I will search my files to see if I have a copy.  If so I will copy when I master the scanner!

Don

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »

Hello Dikappa

Are you and your Lambda known to the Lambda World Register?

Then you could ask Joachim if he has the original Lancia drawings for the leaf springs. The drawings should give explanations on those markings, and also the correct factory figures.

I would try to obtain those drawings if springs are to be remanufactured.

And if advertised in the LWR Gazette, maybe you find other Lambda owners willing to share the costs for a batch.
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »

Don,

To my knowledge John Vessey's files on Lambda were given by his son Richard to the LWR.

I think Joachim has them, however I don't know if he has had time to sort and catalogue all received documents.
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »

John Cundy has spent some time trying to understand the work at RR and their analysis of the Lancia suspension. It would be lovely to see the original source documents for the RR investigation.

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »

@sebastien: yes me and the car are known, and I have the available drawings, they do give some measurements, but David's notes on the individual leafs are more helpfull then the fractory drawings, I have a feeling there must have been also some sort of table with individual leaf data which maybe is lost.

@ Don: that would be great, but I will drop Joachim a mail, one never knows...

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »

I have posted some in the technical information thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd