Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:05:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Tank Removed  (Read 5419 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 04 June, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »

Today I removed the fuel tank, filler neck and associated bits and pieces.  I was not looking forward to doing it but it proved to be reasonably straightforward. I couldn't get my siphon to work after pushing the hose in through the filler opening.  It may be that baffles stopped the pipe getting to the bottom of the tank.  I then removed the sender and put the siphon pipe in that way, and was able to siphon off most of the fuel.  The drain plug was hard to loosen as the edges of the plug opening had been burred somewhat, and my first attempt just ended up with the wrench slipping out.  I was able to gently tap it a few more millimetres into position using a hammer and that did the trick, thanks to a 20" tommy bar.  The last half gallon or so of fuel then drained out.  The most difficult job was removing the ring attaching the filler neck to the tank.  I'd researched this in old forum threads so was very careful not to damage the ring as it seems replacements are hard to find.  The ring is made of a hard plastic.  I read somewhere that earlier models had a brass one.  I tried a strap wrench but it wouldn't budge, so I used a chain wrench to get it started and then the strap wrench.  Predictably, the captive bolts that held the tank in place didn't want to budge.  Three came out OK and the other seven snapped!  Now I can get on with de-rusting and painting the inside of the boot. 

* IMG_6228 copy.JPG (1044.9 KB, 1701x1276 - viewed 443 times.)

* IMG_6232.JPG (713.94 KB, 1757x1017 - viewed 463 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »

Getting back to bare metal. Elbow grease and poly discs, flap discs and dremel.

* IMG_6298 copy.JPG (1191.59 KB, 1984x1488 - viewed 699 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:02:21 PM »

Do you have sympathetic neighbours who'll put up with the noise from power tools Norm?

I'm about to find out! I've got a lot of fibreglass to trim back with a power file and a few holes to drill in the chassis of StratosRep2 - you may be able to hear it from there - I'm just down the hill in Netherton (and work on Derby St in Ormskirk!)

Guy
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2017, 06:18:47 PM »

Hi Guy - I'm retired, so can mostly work while my neighbours are not home!
I knew you were on Merseyside but didn't realise you were so close. I'm in Aughton.  I'd love to see your car. We must get together for a beer some time.
Cheers, Norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2017, 07:28:21 PM »

That's how the seeds of a Manchester monthly meeting are sown.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »

Frank - you're not in the North West are you?

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »

Hi Norman, drop me a private message and feel free to drop in any time! Or drop me your address and I'll pop round one evening when the weather is dry and I fancy a quick blast up the hill!

Cheers

Guy
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

Sorry Norman, I am Herts and Beds otherwise I would join you like a shot. However we run on a hard core of about half a dozen people of which sometimes only three or four can get to a monthly meeting so if you have two potential members you can live in hope.
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2017, 10:25:08 PM »

Summer is coming - there's usually an eclectic meet at the Scotch Piper in Lydiate on a Monday night. I think they've restarted it after last year's thatched roof fire... Been a couple of times now..
Guy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »

Satisfying work.

What tool(s) do you use with the dremel?

David Laver, Lewisham.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »

The 115mm poly disc got most of the paint and rust off.  I used the Dremel in three areas: (1) Along the right angle join between the floor and wheel arches.  Here, the edge of the poly disc didn't reach right into the join so I used a small wire brush on the Dremel.  In fact I used three or four each side as they don't last very long.  (2) At the small radius end of reinforcement impressions in the boot floor.  The poly disc diameter is too large for these so I used a combination of Dremel grinding wheels and wire brush.  I used the approximately 1" diameter wheels doubled up as a single one breaks too easily.  (3) For the area around the pairs of captive nuts either side and towards the front of the boot floor.  I used small wire brushes on the Dremel to get around the edges of the nuts.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd