Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 07:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flavia and Flaminia brake servo rebuild  (Read 11287 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 02 April, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »

Can anyone fast track me to the solution for Flavia brakes locking on.

Getting my Vignale back on the road ready for an MOT I took it for a quick go round the block and deduced the servo was not functioning - brakes needed a firm shove to stop the car.

So I have just rebuilt the servo (very satisfying - new seals, diaphragm push rod and secondary diaphragm). Recognising the critical component was the servo push rod, I set this to the same length as the old one. A couple of hours of priming and bleeding through gave a firm pedal and servo assistance. Car was transformed on going round the block again, but on the second confirmatory run the brakes locked on outside my house!!!

They freed off after I undid the rear circuit servo bleed nipple. It looked like the system had self pressurised and c 5ml of fluid needed to be released - only the rear circuit.....

I have read before about this but cannot find any information to sort this problem out.

Any one know what the solution is?

MOT is pending this getting sorted.....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »

Tim, as the originator of this thread I feel duty bound to comment, but sorry to say I have no solution to offer you! I never experienced the problem that you describe; although I heard other Flavia owners relate the same story.

Brakes binding on with Fulvias can be explained by the push rod being too long to allow the master cylinder pistons to retract enough to uncover the return port to the reservoir. Maybe this is the same for Flavia. If it’s any consolation, I heard that Harry Manning thought there were design faults with the Flavia servo arrangement.

Colin
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:23:27 PM »

Thanks Colin. Well another day in the office and I could not repeat the fault......

I have joined the Flavia jam jar and 10mm spanner club to rectify it as and when it manifests itself.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator