Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:26:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Calliper Refurbishment  (Read 10049 times)
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #15 on: 12 March, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »

If the calipers are off the car, completely immerse them in penetrating oil or paraffin for a few days. Meanwhile get yourself a hydraulic pump off of a press/ body jack and fix up a pipe to connect to the calipers and press them out, maybe whilst applying heat. I know access to these things isn`t easy but it has worked for me  a few times.
Good Luck.

1600 HF. S2.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »

If you have a compressor you can use that instead of hydraulics. I can't say it will work on 45 years of gunk but might be worth a try before setting up complex hydraulic solutions.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »

I have used a compressor satisfactorily on wheel cylinders, however beware they can shot out with some force ..... careful with eyes, teeth, bodywork etc

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Barry.Cook

« Reply #18 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:30:36 PM »

I used my air compressor as he callipers were off the car. The fronts came out o.k. but the rears were more of a challenge. I sprayed plenty of plus gas on them for a couple of days before trying to get them out. I wound the regulator on the the compressor to the max and pulsed the pressure. As said before keep your fingers out of the way because when they do go they fly out. Good luck.
I am now trying to clean the callipers before fitting the new seals. Not easy.

Barry

Cars Owned
1972 Fulvia 1600 HF Lusso
1966 Triumph TR4a
2Lancialan

« Reply #19 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »

Thanks very much for the suggestion Richard - I'll give it a try. The main problem will be trying to get a good grip on the sides of the pistons without damaging them.
Regards,
Alan
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 12 March, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »

Adjustable pipe grips (mole grips)? The piston may be scrap anyhow

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
2Lancialan

« Reply #21 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »

Thanks very much for that suggestion Richard - I will give it a try and see how we get on.
BTW, yesterday I contacted Bigg Red to enquire about caliper replacement/refurbishing. They asked me to send them some photos of the caliper and to let them know what the diameters of the pistons are. I must say that this did not exactly inspire me with confidence that they had any idea what they would be doing with the calipers on my Zagato, so I'm contacting Past Parts and Omicron as alternative suppliers.
Regards,
Alan
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

a good tip from James Parry which I have used to good effect when compressed air did not work nor mole grips....

fit a suitable grease nipple in the place of the brake line with bleed nipple closed and use a grease gun. uses a bit of grease but that can be smeared somewhere. Obviously a good clean of the caliper afterwards is required...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:59:45 PM »

Is it possible that Big Red were being especially diligent and seeking to be sure precisely what they would be quoting on before committing themselves to a price. Too often in the past I have ordered things from people who made out they knew all about it only for them to prove conclusively that they didn't have a clue. Perhaps I am being too hopeful in this case.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #24 on: 14 March, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »

Thanks very much for that suggestion Richard - I will give it a try and see how we get on.
BTW, yesterday I contacted Bigg Red to enquire about caliper replacement/refurbishing. They asked me to send them some photos of the caliper and to let them know what the diameters of the pistons are. I must say that this did not exactly inspire me with confidence that they had any idea what they would be doing with the calipers on my Zagato, so I'm contacting Past Parts and Omicron as alternative suppliers.
Regards,
Alan

PastParts sounded knowledgeable when I spoke to them last week - I certainly got the impression they had done Fulvia calipers before. Slightly cheaper than Omicron so I think I will use them when i get mine off the car - finally got the back end jacked up yesterday and the wheels off so hopefully can get them sorted soon. Then need brake pads and shoes......
Barry.Cook

« Reply #25 on: 20 April, 2017, 06:52:20 PM »

Right, callipers all refurbished but I've done a really stupid thing. I can't find the calliper bolts. I tried to order some from Omicron but they don't have any. Does anyone know anywhere that can supply them? The thread is standard (M10 x 1.25) but they are shouldered as the hole in the calliper is about 11.4mm so it's not just a case of ringing the usual bolt suppliers.
No doubt they will turn up eventually but I don't know if I left them in the workshop where the Fulvia is stored or in my own garage which is awash with bits of the TR4 and I want to get it back on the road ASAP.

Thanks,
            Barry

Cars Owned
1972 Fulvia 1600 HF Lusso
1966 Triumph TR4a
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd