Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 05:36:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.3s Sport Lighting  (Read 3318 times)
kevbo
Lapsed

« on: 30 October, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

Hi all, I've been trying to improve the dipped beam light output on my S2 Sport.  The main beam is very good giving a nice white light, the dipped beam though is a bit yellow and weak.

I've had a go at cleaning up various earths local to the lamps but noticed that the volts at the lamp are about 11v with battery at 12.8v (idle).  At the fusebox, volts at dipped beam fuses are around  11.5v.  So, is my problem the solenoid output?should the volts at the fuse be close to 12.8v?  I have halogen lamps fitted. 

I've also got a dim generator light on all the time the car is running but the volts across the battery approach 14v when the engine revs above idle.  Also the main beam warning lamp is very dimly lit too.  I guess this is poor earthing?
Thanks
Kevin
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

Dim red light may simply suggest that the wire from the alternator back to the switch has high resistance (bad contact/wrong size etc).

More difficult is the issue of dim dipped beams. The Zagato has different electromagnetic relays from the coupe: maybe the wiring is simply incorrect. This needs careful checking bearing in mind that the circuit is always positively charged and that switching on the lights simply grounds the related circuit. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
kevbo
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »

Thanks for you reply Andrea.  Sounds like more investigative work with the multimeter is required.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »

I have seen a Lancia bulletin issued back in the day to change the 3w gen warning light bulb to 4w to stop it glowing. I have a glowing (dim) gen warning light on my S2 1600 sport but have yet to change the bulb. I routinely check the charging when the engine is running which is easier than distrubing the rats nets of wires behind the dash board.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

I think that this is what Tim referred to, taken from a French dealer document in the early 70's:

ALLEZ LANCIA
Lancia France Network - Information Bulletin
Number 76 26th Jan 1970
Workshop note
Subject: Flavia Berline 819 - fitted with alternator
---------
You may notice under certain conditions, and especially whilst driving at night, a slight glowing of the alternator charge light.

This slight glow is not, as one may think, a charging fault. In order to avoid this inconvenience, we advise you to replace the 3w dash warning bulb with a 4w bulb

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd