Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:23:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surface rust on new body panels  (Read 3430 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 17 October, 2016, 11:32:05 AM »

I got back from six weeks out of the country to find surface rust on the new body panels that I bought for my S2 coupe.   As I won't be getting the panels fitted to the car until the Spring it seems like I should treat the panels to eliminate the rust and stop further corrosion.  I've attached a picture of the panels showing the surface rust around the edges.  Can anybody recommend appropriate measures?  Is there a substance that I can use to clear the rust or should it be sanded off?   Should I then spray the panels with weld-through primer?   As always, advice would be very welcome.

* IMG_2713.JPG (474.95 KB, 992x1323 - viewed 330 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »

carefully zip wheel (wire rotary brush that is attached to angle grinder) then wrap in catering cling film and store in a dry place like your lounge.....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »

I would use a flap wheel as less likely to dint the panels and then some Jenolite to phosphate them then zinc undercoat - then wrap them in clingfilm behind the sofa!  But you will still need the wire brush wheel just use a fine not a coarse bristle.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »

My favourite is a polydisc, removal of panel material is virtually zero and they are so quick!! They are unbeatable on flat panels for paint and light/medium rust. For heavier corrosion with evidence of material having been eaten away then the zip wheel favoured by lancialulu is probably the best bet. For more detailed areas and in the folds of panes I use circular wire brushes in an electric drill. There are many shapes and sizes of these brushes and it is just a matter of choosing the most appropriate one. They have the advantage of being smaller in diameter than a zip wheel which is usually around 115mm, being in a drill they have a lower speed of rotation, say up to 2000rpm compared with up to 15000rpm for an angle grinder and thus are easier to control are far far more forgiving when you inevitably catch the brush on an edge!!!!

Have a look here for polydiscs:-   https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=poly%20abrasive%20disc

Andy

PS Storage once cleaned, not the bathroom or kitchen, but the bedroom, lounge, airing cupboard are all ok. Just make sure you have the tacit agreement of household management!!!
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »

What product do restorers use to prevent rust on bare metal? I remember when Graham Bates was rebuilding his Fulvia and it spent a long period in bare metal, often being rolled outside to make room for other work. When I asked if it was coated in something he said 'Yes, otherwise there'd be nothing left by now'. But I never discovered what it was.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Barry.Cook

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:16:44 PM »

Hi Norman,
                 Once you've killed the rust (Jenolite as recommended above is good) I wouldn't use weld thru spray to protect the panel. Its needed where you are welding two panels together but the level of protection is not great. The best two options would be bondaprimer (old school, but good) which you can get from Ebay or C&W Berry in Leyland stock it. Even better is epoxy primer. Epoxy primer is impervious to water and air which means the 'fuel' for corrosion is prevented from getting to the metal. I sprayed the body tub of my TR4a with it last October and stored it whilst the engine and chassis were restored. The tub has just gone off to be sprayed this week and the epoxy has done its job well. For what it's worth I used Lechlar epoxy which seems to get good reviews.

Good luck,
                Barry

Cars Owned
1972 Fulvia 1600 HF Lusso
1966 Triumph TR4a
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd