Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:39:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hub Tool  (Read 8213 times)
dannels
Megaposter

« on: 14 October, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »

Hi All,

Some time ago I made a tool (below) to open up my front hubs and replace the wheel bearings.

From the grumbling from behind it seems I now need to open up the rear hubs. Does anyone know if my tool for the front will fit the rear?

Cheers
Dave

* hubtool.png (588.46 KB, 470x652 - viewed 810 times.)

1961 Flaminia GT, 1966 Matra Djet V
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »

Hi Dave, I hear the rear hubs is a much bigger job, I can email you an article how to do it if you want, although I also remember that Mr Fridd has posted an entry when he did his, recently. 

I had a very slightly loose rear bearing when I purchase the car 6 years ago, but it seemed to have stiffened up over the years, although I do pump them full of grease every year (2000miles)   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »

Yikes - just saw this on Richards thread!

* IMG_3550.JPG (84.42 KB, 640x480 - viewed 700 times.)

Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »

That looks like the short version............Wink

But to get the bearing off the Aurelia was a mammoth task! Don't think the tool we mad would fit yours unless someone can clarify, you're welcome to borrow same?

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »

The Portuguese version....seems like it went on for ever into the night sky.....

P

* Hub 50213 002 141016.JPG (157.44 KB, 480x640 - viewed 696 times.)

Frank Gallagher
Dave Gee
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »

Dave
The tools in the picture are mine (apart from the scaffold poles). As you can see, it is quite a big set up. If you want to borrow it, you are welcome, but it would need picking up. Send me a PM if you want to borrow it.
Best wishes

Dave Gee
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »

Well... given the previous conversation I expected this to be challenging. Let's say I wasn't disappointed!

It started with a welded on drive shaft 'muff' connector. I had that thing glowing red and still it held off any attempts to shift it. After grinding and chiselling it finally gave up the battle. This was of course swiftly followed by the shock of the cost of a replacement of the part just butchered! Luckily no damage to the drive shafts which was removed easily after that

After attaching the tools pictured above loaned by Dave Gee (many thanks!) I then experienced the joy of a resistant hub. After trying as much force as a few of us dared and a bucket of heat I decided to pull the axle to avoid any (expensive) collateral damage from applied brute force.

Axle removed (second muff more compliant) we decided to call it a day. End of part 1!

Cheers
Dave

the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »

Good luck Dave. With my B20 we resorted to all of the above, but it eventually gave way with the use of a pneumatic impact wrench!!!!

The good news is that you may be assured that with enough effort the thing will actually give way .... you will overcome.

Andy

PS A piece of advice provided after we had succeeded was that rather than use a long bar and lots of force, it was better to use an excessively robust 'spanner' with a short handle and hit it with a large hammer!!! Our eventual success with the impact wrench would seem to support that theory!!
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »

Having seen the ease which the CV hub nuts came loose on my Beta with a decent impact wrench (after my efforts with long levers etc), I can only agree. The guy at the garage saves this particular wrench for the 'difficult' jobs so as not to wear it out.....

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 10 December, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »

Thanks all - I'm in the process of getting the axle and hub bolted to the floor - so will try the impact method first

Cheers
Dave

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 14 December, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »

Update - hub finally opened up - axle bolted to the floor . Impact method wasn't working so resorted to heat and 2 people hanging on a scaff pole - it finally gave up the fight.

It's clear the reason for the bearing failure was the failure of the oil seal so regular greasing was not enough to keep it healthy in this case.

It's amazing how something as small as the hub nut coming free can make you so happy!

Cheers
Dave

the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 14 December, 2016, 04:50:35 PM »

Update - hub finally opened up - axle bolted to the floor . Impact method wasn't working so resorted to heat and 2 people hanging on a scaff pole - it finally gave up the fight.

It's clear the reason for the bearing failure was the failure of the oil seal so regular greasing was not enough to keep it healthy in this case.

It's amazing how something as small as the hub nut coming free can make you so happy!

Cheers
Dave

That might be the best Christmas present you get this year!!!! It's a damn good way to start the season!!!

Good luck with all the rest of it,

Andy

dannels
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 20 December, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »

Thanks - just been out for a drive - it feels much more planted at the rear now.

Here's an image of my axle bolted to the floor - with a new tool added to the wheel bearing removal kit!

* IMG_0603.JPG (291.58 KB, 576x1024 - viewed 366 times.)

Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 20 December, 2016, 04:30:30 PM »

So you removed the rear axle from the car, I bet that was a job. One of my rear bearing had a very small amount of movement when I first got the car, but seemed to disappear after the first year. So fingers crossed it doesn’t fail.   

Although saying that I replaced a main bearing in the gearbox, as it had some movement, but the new bearing had the same amount, but replaced it anyway.

What else is there to do on the car?

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 21 December, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »

and the mop to soak up the blood, sweat and tears .....

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd