Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:49:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurelia rear dampers for disposal  (Read 5446 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« on: 27 July, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »

I am trying to make some room on my shelves and in pursuing this dream I have realised I have a surplus of good Aurelia rear dampers which I am unlikely to use. I find that Aurelias with tired rear dampers are not very nice to drive  due to the front rear imbalance (because the front suspension doesn't deteriorate in the same way at the same rate).

Early coil sprung cars used Lancia made lever arm dampers which are fully adjustable and a work of art. I have a few of these for disposal in good used working order. No idea of price to be honest.

Later de Dion cars used very well made quite heavy duty telescopics (made by either Sabif or Lancia? - not sure) which are very robust and which can be taken apart if necessary. Interestingly 4th Series B20 and B12 had an adjustable version of these fitted whilst B24 Spider, Convertible and 5th and 6th series B20 used a non adjustable version of the same damper. I have a pair of the non adjustable version in good working order available but again no idea of demand or price.

I also have a pair of newly fully refurbished (by a man at the Koni factory in Holland)  adjustable  Konis Ref 80C - 1144 dated 1961 (which were a special order back in the day) which could be available. They will be expensive as the refurbishing which included new internals was costly and time consuming.

And then finally I have a pair of 'once-used' adjustable SPAX dampers ref G001 - AX4 for disposal. The new list price for these is £95 each (and they are usually discounted down to £85 each)  but I am happy to accept £80 + £10 postage in the UK for the pair if anyone is interested. 

I am not sure whether there is a demand for any of the above so I haven't researched prices but if anyone is interested perhaps they could do some homework before contacting me.

Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »

I am going to put the pair of 'once used' SPAX telescopic dampers suitable for all de Dion Aurelias on ebay at the end of next week if they are not sold for £90 delivered in the UK by then.
Chris

Chris Gawne
brian
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »

Chris,
tried to send a message but your box is full so could not! Will send by this route now.
My B10 has much-fettled and played-with units that have had broken internal threaded bits replaced and different oils tried but still they leave me with a bouncing rear after a hundred miles or so. The time has come to replace and try to stay more firmly on the road for longer - either send message or phone 01283 703136.
Ditto no idea of how much!
Brian Hands

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »

Something wrong there Brian. I received your messages in the usual way and there is plenty of room in my box. I deduce from your email ( and your car? ) that it's original lever arms you are after. Sadly those went months ago but I will double check my shelves later today and send you a pm.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »

SPAX telescopic dampers now sold.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »

I am incorrect in what I said in my original post.
 "Early coil sprung cars used Lancia made lever arm dampers which are fully adjustable and a work of art. I have a few of these for disposal in good used working order."

Upon closer inspection, 2 of my early coil-sprung Aurelia lever arms dampers are clearly marked SABIF. The rest have no markings other than a production number and side of car S or D as they are handed.
So did SABIF start making them and Lancia took over or vice-versa? It would be interesting to know.

Chris

Chris Gawne
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2016, 03:00:30 PM »

Chris, I seem to remember reading that Lancia bought Sabif. Can anyone confirm that? If so, it may be that was when the name was omitted.

Andy
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2016, 03:14:10 PM »

All of the available SABIF/Lancia lever arm dampers for coil sprung Aurelias are now spoken for.

I still have available a pair of original Lancia telescopic rear dampers (non-adjustable) in good working order, cleaned up, painted etc.

The original 1961 KONI fully adjustable telescopic dampers for de Dion Aurelias which I have just had completely rebuilt in Holland by Verbaas Preparations ex-KONI (at great expense) might also be available.
They are stamped

Special
Type 80C-1144  

as well as the usual Koni stamps and they now have KONI Classic transfers on and are painted red as original. Its been a pretty expensive, long winded exercise to renovate these but they are now 'as new' inside and out.
I suspect I will end up putting them on ebay Internationally.
I will put a couple of photos up later.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »

Sounds logical Andy.
Here are a couple of photos of the de Dion Aurelia KONI's referred to earlier.
Chris

* Aurelia Koni 1.jpg (86.52 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 406 times.)

* Aurelia Koni 4.jpg (119.54 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 455 times.)

Chris Gawne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd