Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 12:55:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20GT charging  (Read 3939 times)
terryunwin

« on: 29 September, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »

My B20GT's dynamo stopped charging on the way back from Como on Monday. Battery kept fuel pump and ignition working through to Calais but I had to be recovered from Dover, no real drama! However, do I have the dynamo overhauled of go for an alternator?

I have not found that I need the extra output though in countries requiring daytime running lights and if cold and wet too (wipers/heater fan) I might find the dynamo struggling.

As I plan other trips including shipping to other continents (USA east coast next year) my main concern is not to equip the car with items that could not be sorted local to where a failure happens if one occurs. (The electronic ignition already worries me though the car seems to run yet better so equipped).

Any thoughts?
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »

Hi Terry. I tried competing on Le Jog in the Appia, relying on the original dynamo, but it was hopeless. My local auto electrician fabricated a bracket and fitted an alternator, and apart from when reversing, I never looked back. Total cost, under £80.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »

If you wanted to stay somewhere near a standard look there are alternators available now in replica dynamo bodies. Hopefully a new alternator would be reliable enough not to cause problems.
Niels Jonassen

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »

I have never been fond of modifications, so I have stuck to the original ignition and the dynamo. We use the B20 very much, all over Europe. And in all the Scandinavian countries we have to drive with the headlights on. We have never experienced problems.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »

I have changed my tune over the years on this general question and now persist with original components as a rule. Dynamics and voltage regulators on Aurelias are fine if in good condition but are a bit marginal if all electrics are on at the same time - wipers, fan, headlights, spotlights, electric fuel pump particularly if uprated headlamp bulbs are fitted.
I am going through the process of retrofitting mechanical fuel pumps with new membranes to our Aurelias and removing the electric fuel pumps.
Ref distributors, again if the original unit is in good condition and set up correctly it's fine in my experience. I know that electronic ignition seems to give a smoother tickover but this can also be achieved with the original set-up if done carefully.
Personal choice but Lancia did always design things properly.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »

I've not had problems with dynamo and voltage regulator; would only do this after the dynamo is fully overhauled.

Travel long distance with a spare set of brushes.

I recently did a long trip at night, with lights and fan on, cig lighter charging the iPad, but no wipers, without problems.

The electric pump is turned on when needed, by switch, for starting or super hot driving. Generally off.

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2016, 12:11:56 PM »

The Flaminia has a similar setup with dynamo and voltage regulator which is fine on long fast journeys during the day or night, with headlights and wipers on. However living in South West London most of my driving is in traffic with very low revs if any, and we all know dynamos are rubbish at this, hence the alternator. So over a period of time the battery slowly drains to the point that that I have to keep the revs up at traffic lights so others can see my indicators. Slightly trickier with the brakes lights in stop start traffic so either heal and toe or a bit of left foot action. Then if I remember I charge the battery or go on a long run.   

So been looking at replicate dynamo alternators, I think Wasp makes one, you just by pass the regulator and leave them insitu so no one notices the mod.   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Dave Gee
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »

If you look at a Flaminia post, under Flaminia upgrades, I posted a picture of an alternator that I had made to look like the original dynamo. This has been very successful. If anyone is interested, I can supply further information.

I have also fitted a new alternator to my Fulvia Sport. This was produced by a company called Wasp, and when I  have time I will post some pictures showing the fitting of it and give the model no.
Dave
Tony Stephens

« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »

Terry, I suggest you contact me in regard to B20 alternators, if that's the way you decide to go. There is a  good solution and some bad solutions,but I would say that because I originated the good solution!
My 4th Series has had an alternator since it came back on the road, but I know of other cars which have been through several in the same time. Heat soak from the block is a problem.
If you decide to stay original that's entirely understandable but everything needs to be in excellent condition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd