Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:00:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eighteen hundred year old Fulvia gear knob  (Read 4505 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 12 August, 2016, 06:34:31 PM »

My wife, knowing my preoccupation with all things Fulvia, bought me a Roman coin for my birthday.  It portrays Fulvia Plautilla, the only wife of emperor Caracalla.  I haven’t mentioned to her that the nasty blighter had her exiled and then strangled!

I’m thinking of buying one of those wooden gear knobs that has a circular emblem in the top, and replacing the emblem with this coin, ideally set in resin if that can be done. The second picture below shows the type of gear knob I was thinking of.  The vendor offers a range of different emblems so can probably provide the knob without one, to save me the task of removal.

Given that originality is not usually my thing, I’m guessing that somebody else in the club may have had a coin set as a dashboard emblem or, like I’m planning, a gear knob embellishment.

So, I have three questions that I’d appreciate some help with:
1) Has anybody tried anything like this and how did it turn out?
2) Any suggestions for what to set the coin in …. some sort of clear resin?
3) What’s the diameter of the gear lever thread on a S2 Fulvia Coupe?

This little side project will make a nice break from grinding rust off body panels!

* IMG_1660.JPG (151.64 KB, 640x640 - viewed 709 times.)

* s-l1600.jpg (85.93 KB, 1280x853 - viewed 345 times.)
« Last Edit: 12 August, 2016, 09:24:41 PM by nthomas1 » Logged

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2016, 12:14:43 PM »

I remember resin kits from childhood to make paperweights. If you google around 'resin paperweights' you'll probably find some good information out there on the stuff you need and how to do this.

The obvious drawback to using resin is that it's not going to be sympathetic to your historically valuable coin! Perhaps another route that is more sympathetic is to mount the coin in some suitable medium (black modelers clay, high density foam, thick card etc.) and then put this in the recess of the gear knob. To protect the coin and give a nice finish then consider using a watch glass instead of resin. These are inexpensive and come in a range of sizes and dome shapes; they'd protect the coin and it would be easy to remove and retrieve the coin if you ever changed your mind. A good site to view the vast array of watch glasses there are is https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/watch-glasses
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2016, 10:54:40 PM »

That's a great idea.  I was worried about irreversible damage to the coin.  I'll see if there's a watch glass that would fit the circular opening in the gear knob that I'm considering.  Many thanks.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »

Here's the gear knob ready to fit to the car.  Pity the car won't be ready for it until later this year!
I took Scott's very useful advice and found a domed watch glass.  The coin is held in place with blu-tac and the watch glass is a friction fit.

* IMG_4085 copy.JPG (783.7 KB, 2215x2349 - viewed 374 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2017, 04:39:17 PM »

Looks really good Norm, well done!

1600 HF. S2.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »

Love it ! But you'll also need an Augusta

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2017, 06:44:44 PM »

Looks great and you'll always have money for parking if you find a 2000 year old meter. If the blue tack doesn't hold up to vigorous gear changes a little dab of hot glue would also be non-damaging but very solid.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »

That looks good ... and glad my suggestion proved useful.
Just out of interest did you go for an acrylic or mineral glass dome?
Good luck for getting your Fulvia on the road in 2017.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:02:31 PM »

Simon - good idea, but I think I'll get the Fulvia sorted before I look for the next project! Smiley
Stanley - thanks for the suggestion ref glue.
Scott - I bought an acrylic one quite cheaply to see how it looked.  I will now look for a mineral glass.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd