Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:31:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2 Coupe rebuild progress  (Read 4472 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 29 July, 2016, 06:28:45 PM »

I'm making progress on my S2 rebuild. I've almost finished working on the interior metalwork - the usual grinding, sanding and rust treatment.  The bonnet, boot lid and doors are being worked on separately.  Here are two pictures taken a week ago.  Since then I've removed the rear windscreen and started removing the headlining.  It's funny how jobs that you expect to do quickly can take so long.  I had a few minutes left the other day and thought I'd remove the over-centre catches for the rear quarter lights.  The first screws came out easily but one on each side was frozen solid.  Despite using penetrating oil and carefully trying an impact driver I ended up having to drill them out.  I don't know what those screws are made of but I broke four drill bits in the process!   

The front of the car is tidier than the rear.  I picked up a rear panel, rear valance and inner sill repair section from David Ashworth last week.  I'm now looking for a competent body shop locally here in West Lancashire to do the welding.  The visit to David was extremely useful as I was able to pick his brains on a number of things.  He was ever so helpful.  While in the Wrexham area I stopped by Minera Tyres and Exhausts and had a good conversation with James Parry about wheel and tyre options.  The rear panel doesn't look too bad in the picture but it is distorted due, I think, to a minor rear end knock, and there's a lot of corrosion inside.

Tomorrow I plan to fully remove the headlining.  The only thing stopping me is the rear view mirror.  I've looked at the Parts Manual but the picture there doesn't reveal anything as to how the mirror support is fastened.  I'll play around with it tomorrow, but if anybody reading this can advise me as to how to remove it I'd be very grateful.

* IMG_0907 copy.JPG (1290.63 KB, 2126x1594 - viewed 292 times.)

* IMG_0910 copy.JPG (1342.34 KB, 2126x1594 - viewed 345 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »

I think the mirror unclips from it's base, then the base can be removed (three screws)?
« Last Edit: 31 July, 2016, 07:26:30 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »

Thanks Richard.  I'll take a look tomorrow.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »

Success! Knowing that the mirror unclipped made the job easy. Thanks Richard.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2016, 06:41:12 PM »

I have a "process" question for forum participants:

As I continue with my rebuild and have further questions, should I open a new topic for each, or just add them as extra posts to this one.  I have some questions next about external sill replacement, and am wondering whether to open a new topic with that as the title, or just add a post to this one.  Which approach is most likely to generate replies?

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »

As I continue with my rebuild and have further questions, should I open a new topic for each, or just add them as extra posts to this one.  I have some questions next about external sill replacement, and am wondering whether to open a new topic with that as the title, or just add a post to this one.  Which approach is most likely to generate replies?

Hi Norm

Guess there are no hard and fast rules, but if the post is a specific question about a new topic then start a new one in the appropriate section with a heading to give an idea of what is being asked. If it is a related question use the same thread, otherwise start a new one. That way the headings relate to the question which could help someone later.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »

Thanks Peter.  I'll try that approach.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 31 July, 2016, 07:44:14 PM »

Cool

Hi Norm

Guess there are no hard and fast rules, but if the post is a specific question about a new topic then start a new one in the appropriate section with a heading to give an idea of what is being asked. If it is a related question use the same thread, otherwise start a new one. That way the headings relate to the question which could help someone later.

Peter
Hi Norm,
It makes life much easier when using search if kept to a specific subject, otherwise it's often not able to find what you're looking for as it is buried within another subject.

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 31 July, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »

Thanks Brian - I'll follow that advice.  Some of the rebuild blogs that have been created over many months or years make fascinating reading - but they do make advice on specific topics hard to find.  Individual entries with meaningful titles must prove more helpful to others looking for information, so I'll go down that route.   Anybody following my questions will see that it's been my approach to date.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »

I have done a couple of rebuild threads and have recently changed how I post them. I have kept the same heading - eg "Aprilia Diary", but then added a more specific note eg "Aprilia Diary - Petrol pump rebuild"

I don't know if this will help searches because I have only just started to do it ! If it works, I will go back over the pages and "modify" the post to be more specific, hope that helps

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd