Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:36:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outer sill replacement  (Read 1600 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 31 July, 2016, 06:52:27 PM »

I'm facing another tricky decision as I progress with my Series 2 Coupe rebuild. Should I replace the outer sills?  The existing ones are in good condition as far as I can see, but a previous owner has riveted 'L' section strips over the flange under the edge of the outer sills. These make inspection difficult, and don't look that tidy.  As I'm having a full respray of the car, I'm tempted to remove these strips and replace the outer sills.

On the negative side, I'm worried about the amount of work involved in replacing them, especially as the ends of the outer sills seem to tuck inside the wings. Question: does replacing the outer sills involve cutting out a lower section of the front and rear wings corresponding to the projections on either end of the new sills? Also, how should the wings then be made good..... do fill-in panels have to be welded in place?  I can find pictures of people replacing outer sills at the same time as replacing the wings - but none of somebody replacing only the sills.

One more question: Looking at pictures of new outer sills, it appears that the lower flange is not full length. Can anybody tell me what makes up the end pieces of the flange under the sill that run to the wheel arches? Are they flanges on the bottom of the wing, or possibly on the rear floor panels?

Any advice, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd