Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:46:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LMC Revival starts here  (Read 24426 times)
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« on: 13 November, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »

This was a post I made under the Piazza thread, but was asked to re-post as the start of a new thread.  Thoughts?

Damn right. Now for the future - 2008 is going to be a good year.  I sense revival, new blood and change.  Indeed, I am feeling positively Churchillian...  Seriously, let no one write this club off, or paint us into a corner where, conveniently for them, we become quietly irrelevant.  This is a big club, a strong club and an effective club - we may have been dormant, but now we have been kicked awake.  We have looked in the mirror, not liked everything we have seen, and resolved to shape up.  A few late night metaphors for all...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
inthedark
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »

Well said, I totally agree, we are strong, we have a great magazine, and although we drive/preserve
old classics, we all look to the future with renewed vigour and await the return of a great Marque.
roll on 2008

'the colonel'
and I'm actually quite sober
Rodders
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2007, 12:11:18 AM »

Couldn't agree more!

Rodders
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2007, 12:33:21 PM »

Too true. What can be celebrated in 2008 ? - there must be an anniversary of something !

+ can't wait for a cheese and wine invitation from a Lancia showroom Smiley

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2007, 11:11:19 PM »

Hi,

Just a small suggestion but one that I've been meaning to make for some years now. We have some fliers which are printed which say "Do you drive a Lancia?". I think that it might have slightly better chances of pulling in new members if we say "Do you own a Lancia?". I know it won't make any difference to many, but over the years I have met people who have only joined once their car is going - and their struggle would have been made less daunting with the support of the club.

A very minor point, and overall I think the Club is run very well on minimal resources, but hopefully it is relevant to the thread.
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2007, 06:58:46 AM »

I think Jai makes a good point.I also let my membership lapse in the past as my cars were not in usable condition and I couldn't (in my mind) attend events for some time.Of course we want an active driving club but most members experience periods when their cars are not available for some time due to restoration or other problems and that's usually when you need the most help.Pre forum days that was not so relevant but now it can really make a difference."Do you own a Lancia is better".
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2007, 07:12:59 AM »

For Chris - whose "feeling positively Churchillian" (and I agree):

“We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire... Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down.  Give us the tools and we will finish the job.” (BBC radio broadcast 1941-02-09)

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
DianaW
Officer

« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »

Jai has raised a very good point.  Unfortunately the membership application forms were recently reprinted and we have a fairly large stock. 

I'll raise this point at Sunday's committee to ensure that the wording is looked at for the next reprint because people with non-running cars need the Club and the advisors' expertise particularly when they are getting the cars running. 

Diana
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »

The point Jai raises is well made, however, why restrict membership to owners and drivers?  Surely we should be welcoming to anybody who is enthusiastic about the marque, whether they own a Lancia or not.  I joined the LMC about two years before I bought my Fulvia.  Maybe we should go with something more like "Are you a Lancia enthusiast?".

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2007, 08:22:53 PM »

Can we get back to Churchill now?  Wink

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
timuth
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2007, 08:39:36 PM »

Oh yes yes yes..
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2007, 11:13:23 AM »

Tim's gone to Meg Ryan .... Smiley

Sorry, couldn't resist that ...

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »

must be "autoeroticism".....
« Last Edit: 24 November, 2007, 11:22:44 AM by Scarpia » Logged
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #13 on: 26 November, 2007, 09:15:11 AM »

I got my November (No. 472) “Viva-Lancia!” last week (things slow down dramatically once Royal Mail hands it over to those African runners with cleft sticks, I tell you  Roll Eyes), and was pleased to read Chris, Neil, and Lee’s excellent article about “The LMC Internet Forum”.

For a long time I’ve felt that members who only read “Viva-Lancia!”, are missing out on the many advantages of the LMC Forum, and the Forum is the poorer for not having them on board too, as the LMC’s “Speakers Corner” would be all the better for having a few more hecklers around.  Cheesy

From my own experience, really useful help is generally only a few days away after making a technical post on the LMC Forum, where the news is really fresh, as opposed to my latest V/L which is probably two month's old by the time I get it as an overseas member.  (I’m not knocking the excellent efforts of those involved in V/L, but that’s just the way printed, posted matter is.)

The Forum is also an excellent place to debate the way the club is run, and it’s future direction (obviously we know this, but those not on the Forum probably don't), provided it doesn’t become just another “room for an argument” like that infamous “Monty Python” sketch:

“Is this right the room for an argument?”
“I told you once”
”...I’m not allowed to argue unless you’ve paid.”
“I just paid.”
“No you didn’t”
“I DID!”

(This goes on and on at some length, with more nonsense like “Ah-ha. If I didn’t pay, why are you arguing?”  “…I could be arguing in my spare time.”, which sounds a bit like the LMC Forum at times!)

But the most telling line for me in this somewhat silly Python sketch is, “Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.”  Nota Bene!

The Ancient Romans (at the root of so much we Italophiles hold dear) knew and appreciated the tremendous worth of the Forum, even though at times it was disorderly, and now and then there was the odd murder…  Tongue

But having established a case for the LMC Forum, how do we overcome the obstacles of getting more LMC members online?

Once again from my own experience (especially as I don’t have Internet bandwidth worth speaking of, nor a full-time Internet connection), I’ve found it useful to:

• Dial up once a day, but stay ‘logged in’ indefinitely, keeping the Forum page open on my computer desktop.
    Read only the latest posts since my last visit.
    Pick out just the ones I’m interested in Shocked and quickly read them, then mark them all as read.
    Finally write anything that requires thought, or is lengthy, off-line, and simply paste it into the relevant thread next time I visit the Forum.

Quick and easy!  Grin

Still, I’m amazed that many high-profile LMC members don’t have an identity on the Forum, but given the vitriolic nature of a few posts, I can’t say I blame them.  On the other hand, nobody should feel obliged to have to answer every whim of just a few on the forum who behave like petulant children.  (Let’s get right down to it, and just call a spade a shovel here, shall we?  Cool)

But to those who haven’ tried it, I can only say that overall the LMC Forum has far more to offer than you could possibly imagine.

Kindest regards,
Guy

P.S. This post has been e-mailed to the LMC Editor for publication in V/L for those not active on the LMC Forum.

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
inthedark
« Reply #14 on: 26 November, 2007, 05:22:50 PM »

Ok, I'll wait for VL and read it then :-)

'the colonel'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd