Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:49:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIN Stereo in 1992 Delta HF Turbo?  (Read 8524 times)
Sensh

« on: 17 July, 2016, 07:36:08 AM »

As I get to know my "new" car here, I notice there is an aftermarket stereo head unit in the dash, but I also notice the original opening for the radio appears to be larger than a standard DIN size.  Whoever installed the current DIN head unit just kinda left it flopping around in the larger-than-DIN opening.

I'm going to replace the head unit, but does anyone have any insight into tips or tricks to make it fit and look correct?  Do I need to fabricate a panel?  Or am I already missing a factory panel that is supposed to be there?

I found this trim piece online, but I'm not sure if it's what I need, because I don't know if the Integrale opening is different:

http://projoe.nl/product/lancia-delta-integrale-radio-surround/

Any insight would be helpful.  Thanks!

Paul Misencik
Javea, Spain
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »

Out of interest - anyone know why the opening is larger than standard in the first place?   

In in similar vein I'm remembering metric tyres that used to go on some Alfasuds and the Betamax vs VHS battle.

In an earlier era were the 8-track units bigger boxes?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »

From memory when I fitted a radio (din) to both a Prisma and a Gamma I had to cut out from a blank radio panel and clip in a short din chsassis and surround, and anchor at the back and supoort with foam underneath.

Looked fine but was a bit of a fiddle.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Sensh

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2016, 10:47:38 AM »

Out of interest - anyone know why the opening is larger than standard in the first place?   

My guess would be that the OE radio was a different size, and not a standard DIN chassis.  It sorta looks like a 1.5 DIN height opening to me.  Maybe they had a little equalizer or something underneath.  Or maybe they just had a 1.5 DIN head unit from the factory.  Those certainly existed in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Paul Misencik
Javea, Spain
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »

quattros without a radio have a storage bin in the radio slot which is, I think, slightly larger than a din radio. There must be a standard replacement to carry a radio and somebody must be breaking a car you could get one from.
Sensh

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2016, 08:06:42 AM »

I ordered that "radio surround" from ProJoe in the Netherlands.  It's expensive, but I din't feel like fabricating something for it, so I'll let you know how it works.

Paul Misencik
Javea, Spain
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »

Wow! That is exactly what has been annoying me for the past n years and I haven't solved and was trying to find something to fit the hole! Please let me know how you get on !

Mine didn't come with a stereo but ( as Frank said ) a storage bin ( which is around somewhere ). If I can find it then I'll post a picture and hopefully we can complete this story Smiley

*I'm assuming that integrale are the same as Deltas - and now I'm also wondering what is in AndyD's car ( my ex ) as I don't remember what was there or having any problems .... Smiley
« Last Edit: 18 July, 2016, 11:33:01 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »

Where did "Quattros" come from in my post? Is it some weird auto correction or do I need to wash my mind out with soap!
Andy D

« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »

Here's a picture of the original (I think) Panasonic unit that is in my HF Turbo which may or may not help (it's the best interior shot that i have to hand).  I'd add that it isn't a great fit and is a tiny bit loose but thankfully not loose enough for it to rattle.  It has always been my intention to replace it (it sounds awful) but it's very rarely on when I'm in the car so it's not got done yet.  it's also a reflection of the fact that I've not done any long trips in the car for a while.

Panasonic JO1 by Andy, on Flickr

My 1300 LX hasn't had a radio in it since I got it as the previous owner didn't supply one - eh Steve?!  Grin

I can take a photo of the Prisma's slot/radio in a few days time if that would be of interest - it's the only car that is accessible to me at the moment.  I was actually out in it yesterday, if only I'd known....

1990 Delta HF Turbo i.e.
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »

Where did "Quattros" come from in my post? Is it some weird auto correction or do I need to wash my mind out with soap!

Smiley - I can explain that Frank - it's because you've committed the sin of spelling integrale with an extra r in the middle. We treat it like a swear word and change it for something else Smiley quattros seemed appropriate ... ( it's been a setting for years )

@ Andy : *cough* yes well I seem to remember it came with something that was a lash-up and didn't work version very well so I may have put in an old stereo which I may have had lying around - I'll see if I can find a picture of the car dashboard ....

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »

Delta GTie radio original dealer fit in France.

I took this out when considering putting in a CD head but found the hole too big.....

Tuned to Radio Classique.......

* gtie radio.jpg (71.75 KB, 448x252 - viewed 593 times.)

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »

Does it have a setting to interrupt the program for surf reports?

David Laver, Lewisham.
Sensh

« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »

Panasonic JO1 by Andy, on Flickr

Mystery solved.  That's definitely a 1.5 DIN unit.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I like being able to listen to something at times, particularly on long trips.  As Hunter S. Thompson once said: "I am convinced that with the right song on the radio, a car can go about fifty miles further before it runs out of gas."  And I like my podcasts, too.  But I also do a lot of traveling by car, and having a USB port in the head unit for an additional carrying port is very helpful.

The surround and my new JVC should be here over the next couple of days.  I'll post the results and my impressions when it's in. 

Paul Misencik
Javea, Spain
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2016, 09:10:36 PM »

Does it have a setting to interrupt the program for surf reports?
phone data allosurf.fr fab site

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 02 September, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »

@Sensh : Did you get this and how does it look ?

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd