Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:23:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia in World Endurance Championship...... if only  (Read 2453 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 27 March, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »

No Easter eggs for me this year, so spending a leisurely Easter Sunday catching up with some admin stuff and browsing through some folders of my old motor racing photographs.  I just paid the balance of the cost for my 2016 Le Mans trip and was idly day-dreaming how great it would have been had Lancia still been participating in endurance racing. Sadly that will never happen.  However, it would be great to see an Italian team in the LMP1 category up against the Audis, Porsches and Toyotas.  Marchionne  has hinted at F1 for Alfa Romeo, but WEC, with its greater technical diversity and road-car relevance would be a much better place to see the Italian flag flying again.  Here's a couple of my pictures of Lancia Group C cars that triggered this train of thought.  First is an LC1 from 1982 BOAC 1000km event, second is an LC2 from the 1983 running of the same event.  The third is an LC2 in the pits at Donington at the 2012 Historic Festival.  Happy Easter to all Lancisti!!

* P3240102.jpg (982.91 KB, 1134x851 - viewed 234 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »

Here are second and third pictures:

* P3240038.jpg (985.72 KB, 1417x945 - viewed 236 times.)

* P5064311.jpg (1390.28 KB, 1417x1063 - viewed 246 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Caracad

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »

Great pics Norm,
As you say wouldn't it be great if Lancia were still in motor racing. Oh and while they were at it, building some nice road cars as well. Not sure either of those things will happen.

Was following a BMW I3 the other day and thought Lancia could be making something like that. Innovative and super modern. It's even got the pillerless body side.  If it was a Lancia, it would of course be more beautiful.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »

Agree entirely Mark.  Though not very fashionable to say so, I actually think there is still is a very good niche opportunity for Lancia.   If you look at what Toyota did with Lexus, what Honda did with Accura and what Nissan did with Infiniti, there's still clearly a place for premium vehicles.  Even Ford are following this strategy to an extent with the Vignale nameplate, and Citroen with the DS brand.  The concept of a dual franchise for dealers with a volume product and a high-end one is well proven.  For Fiat, I would suggest that Alfa Romeo be the outright sporting brand and Fiat and Lancia become the volume/exclusive duo.  That would allow Lancia to build technically innovative stylish products that sit above the more mundane, though well engineered, Fiat product line. This would play so well to Lancia's historic strengths.  I spent 12 years in Detroit (working as an executive at Ford) and watched the emergence of all of these "premium" brands - all the time wishing that Fiat would do something similar with Lancia.  I haven't (quite) given up hope yet!!

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »

I agree absolutely. It is such an obvious route to go down. I think they got confused by making Alfa an executive as well as sporting brand which left Lancia with nowhere to go. Unfortunately I can't see current corporate management at Fiat having the sense to do this and they may now have fatally undermined the Lancia brand with their Chrysler badge engineering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd