Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:48:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving to bankruptcy  (Read 6990 times)
Harvey
« on: 18 October, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »

By 'eck, that MOT on my Dedra means I should be swapping my Bath flat for a cardboard box. What is it amongst us that causes us to cheerfully part with so much money on something so transient? Most Lancias are works of art (the Prisma is excluded from my list, mind) but at least if they were canvas you could nail them to the wall and watch them go up in value.

Well, if I'm being driven to bankruptcy by my love of cars, then I'm going to get there with the turbo on full boost and a grin on my face. If you're on the A36 this weekend, watch out for a joyously driven Dedra with a grinning maniac behind the wheel. You'll be safe, though. An eye-watering garage bill is testament to the fact the brakes are rather good now...
Rodders
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »

Tell me all about it (and steer clear of the A303 junction or our paths might cross.....)

Rodders (listening to Grieg)
A1.6HPE

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »

Hmm... yes continual rumours of 400gbp per year vehicle excise duty does make me wonder about downsizing to a Fulvia (or 2 :-) )
Plus Roddy Young keeps telling me about getting over 40 mpg with his 1.3 Sport.

Leo (listening to the voices)

Edinburgh Regional Co-Ordinator
Chris Hopkins
Librarian
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »

I can also recommend a 1972 Fulvia for good value. Although I do not think I have got anywhere near 40mpg and the superjuice plus additives it drinks takes the cost well over £1 per litre - but it is delightful fun as I can maintain it! (I will probably regret that boast)
I entered the MSA Norwich Union Classic for the first time, along with 3 other Fulvias and enjoyed the experience, especially driving the Hill course and Bowl at Millfield Test Ground. They advised 55mph on the Hill course and 100mph on the 2 mile bowl. Well being a first timer on the hill 55mph was a very sensible speed, especially with a full boot of spares etc! - very demanding and I would love to have a few practice runs with an empty boot. Then the high speed banked bowl. They said do not use the 6th lane - the one at the top of the banking next to the wall - again good advise. I settled into lane 2 and the Fulvia 1.3 easily got up to a indicated 110 mph before I had to slow for the exit. Mind you while I was cruising at the velocity a Cobra shot past doing what looked like about 50 to 60 mph faster in lane 4 - 100% fun - I can recommend it.
My son Paul navigated and then was rewarded with driving 2 laps of the Silverstone GP circuit to end the day and loved it even though he had never driven the Fulvia before. he did it so well I let him drive me home - he never stopped smiling all the way!
Ciao for now
Chris Hopkins
« Last Edit: 19 October, 2007, 12:33:40 PM by Chris Hopkins » Logged

Chris Hopkins
1971 Fulvia Berlina S2
1973 Fulvia Sport 1600
2011 Delta 3 Limited
2012 Ypsilon 1.2 Limited Edition
Lima
Megaposter

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows.

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »

Harvey

I've been there before.... quite a few times.

However, I'm glad to say that I never actually went through with the sale of either of my beloved cars in the end.  The pain of the bill passes, and after sacrificing other non-essentials such as soap and food, the overdraft returns to a more manageable level.

You'll look back and breath a sigh of relief that you kept the Dedra.  Then you'll get in, put your foot down and forget the whole sorry incident.

One final point... The nice flat in Bath provides you with shelter but won't transport you at speed around europe.  The Dedra (if push came to shove) could do both.

Marky

Lima

1968 Lancia Fulvia Coupe (Rallye)
2001 Lancia Y (Cosmopolitan)
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »

As chris said, a fulvia offers good value.Given the undervaluation by the marketplace the pleasure per pound rating is truly great.Strangely one of our cheapest cars to run in retrospect was a thema turbo.I think we paid 2 grand for it second hand, and ran it for 4 years and then sold it for 1400 quid.Put two front tyres on it and serviced it with Barry W when needed but had no really big bills at all.
Harvey
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2007, 08:17:58 PM »

Aaah. That's better. There were a satisfying number of trucks lumbering along the A36. That was about a month's worth of overtaking in normal circumstances.  Grin
My daughters enjoy the acceleration almost as much as I do. Stage 2: Sunday afternoon, return trip.

Now, I'd be thrilled to own a Fulvia - coupe not a sedan (sorry, Brian). I'm hankering after a Montecarlo and might even be tempted by a Gamma. However, the idea was to sell the Dedra to fund the purchase, whereas now I'm looking to sell the Dedra to fund getting it through the MOT test... Anyway, if you know of any Montecarlo owners who fancy something with a larger boot and a turbo, then drop me a line.

I'll be at the Bristol meeting (next Wednesday - plug, plug!) for a pint to weep over.
Harvey
« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2007, 08:53:25 PM »

I think the Dedra would make a great getaway car. Just need to hook out my tights and Wiffle bat...  Smiley
inthedark
« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2007, 09:41:40 PM »

It's slightly worrying that you have your own tights............

'the colonel'
Rodders
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2007, 11:50:17 PM »

Let me guess Geoff, still in stockings, like me?

Rodders (listening to the whisper of nylon)
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2007, 11:50:14 AM »

This "coming out" probably justifies a seperate thread but at least confirms some growing suspicions I had.

« Last Edit: 20 October, 2007, 03:38:49 PM by Scarpia » Logged
inthedark
« Reply #11 on: 20 October, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »

Lol
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 22 October, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »

Now I'm worried about the Wednesday meet ... !

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd