Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
18 April, 2024, 05:25:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "A Sicilian Dream" - film about the Targa Florio - featuring Series 1 HF  (Read 2309 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 01 January, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »

I’d like to make Forum participants aware of a superb film about the legendary Targa Florio.  It is called “A Sicilian Dream”, and was given a limited cinema release back in October, and then released on DVD and Blu-ray in December, presumably for the Christmas market.  It chronicles the history of the Targa Florio, and includes some terrific footage ranging from pre-WW1 black and white to sequences from the final races in the early 1970s.

The film features a blend of new on-location film, newsreel and archive footage, interviews and some period re-enactment.  The featuring of a Series 1 Fulvia 1300 HF in some of the documentary sections makes the film of special interest to Lancia enthusiasts, and there are a couple of fleeting sequences of Fulvia coupes and a Fulvia Sport in the actual race.  The HF that is featured is credited to Erasmo Bologna and Rosadele Facetti.

The story is told by racing driver Alain De Cadenet, who I greatly enjoyed in the “Victory by Design” seres of DVDs, and the charismatic Francesco Da Mosto, a Venetian of noble birth who made the TV travel programmes “Francesco’s Venice” and “Francesco’s Italy”. 

A poignant section covers De Cadenet’s near fatal accident in the 1971 race when he was pulled unconscious from his burning car after a heavy crash.  I subsequently learned that De Cadenet had thought for 40 years that he had been thrown clear when the car crashed, and only found out about his heroic rescue when he returned to Sicily to make this film.

The real stars of the film are the Sicilian countryside and the cars.   De Cadenet took his own 1931 Alfa 6C with him for the film.  A group of pre-WW1 cars are driven on the circuit….. Nazzarro, Fiat, Daimler, Lorraine-Dietrich, Straker-Squire, Sunbeam etc.   Vaccarella is shown in his Ferrari, and the blindingly fast Porsche 908 and Alfa T33 that were way too fast for the course are also shown, among many others.

All in all, the best automotive-related DVD I’ve ever watched. It is listed by Amazon for £12.99 as a DVD or £14.99 as Blu-ray.    I have no connection to the film, I’m just a Fulvia owner who was glad to come across it!      Norm Thomas (Ormskirk, Lancashire)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
ITSA

« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »

Sounds like 'must see'. A couple of related links:

http://siciliandreammovie.com/about

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=150971

Chris
Prisma, Dedra & Flavias from time to time