Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:47:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Jolly  (Read 11849 times)
LouK

« on: 30 November, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »

I have a confession.....we heard about the Padua Super Jolly and well, it's now in our garage  Smiley

New to Flavia's and of course SJs so all help and support gratefully received....
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »

Louise, looking forward to seeing the SJ.....

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »

A picture speaks a thousand words!!!!!!  Come along, photographs please!!!!

Andy
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »

Jason & Louise congratulations on your purchase, the Superjolly is a fabulous and for its time, very advanced vehicle.
I am sure Dikappa has told you some of the weak points to look out for, wheel bearings are not really up to the job, and you will have fun with the Dunlop braking system, twin calipers on each front wheel, and single on the back, plus of course the two servos.
From the photos I have seen it appeared to be missing the door over the spare tyre compartment, do you have this?
In the parts book of the SJ minibus there are three rows of seats in the back, was yours ever like that, or has it only ever had the two rows of back seats. This is however the only SJ minibus I have ever seen pictures of, and being an original 1800cc one it is probably the only one left! 

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
LouK

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »

Thanks Ade!  I'm not sure Jason needs congratulating as he's a rather hesitant supporter.

You're right that it's missing the rear door for the spare wheel (and the spare wheel!) and no we don't have this part.  I'm actually quite amazed at how original it looks although I qualify that with the fact I haven't seen many interior shots of one.  If anyone has any, I would be very interested.  I have the instruction manual and scoured the internet but information is quite scarce.  I need to do a decent check of the rear but it looks like it originally came with 2 rows of seats and I've seen adverts / materials mentioning an 8 seater (+ driver i.e. me!).  I'm not sure if the rear seats have been refurbished - someone has put new wooden panels on the sides of the van but up front everything looks original. 

The engine starts and the clutch engages and the van moves and electrically it seems sound.  However the brakes are not working at all even though it looks like someone has attempted a fix with evidence of new pipes.  Dikappa saw it at Padua and thought it had all the brake system in situ so we'll have to get to the bottom of this.  We'll outsource to an ex-RTCC mechanic who's worked on them in the past as Jason's not keen at all to attempt a fix without any experience.

It also needs wipers (the motor is in place and working), the horn doesn't work and the steering has huge amount of play with oil around the box.  I also need glass in the rear view mirrors.  However it certainly seems capable of getting an MOT although this is said without a thorough inspection.  The paint looks great from afar but less pleasing up close with a "blow over" at some stage.  I'm not fussed with this with the aim to get it on the road - an MOT and registration being the priority matters.  We've got others ahead of it in the queue for body / paint work so that will be a long term project.

I can't wait to get "Gino" on the road and active at Lancia events!

* Chappell SJ 30Nov15.jpg (86.47 KB, 960x540 - viewed 628 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »

Well done on getting hold of a brilliant vehicle. I am sure you will get a huge amount of fun out of owning it and driving will just be part of that!!!!

Hopefully you will not have too much trouble getting hold of the missing items. Good luck.

Andy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »

Well done....Lou, this might be of use......Smiley

http://www.subito.it/hobby-collezionismo/catalogo-parti-di-ricambio-lancia-jolly-furgone-ancona-144692690.htm

P

Frank Gallagher
LouK

« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »

Thanks Frank - this brochure is for a Jolly not Super Jolly so I'm not sure that any parts will be similar.

We've got the instruction manual in English and also an Italian version came with the van which has been very helpful to locate things and work out switches and dials although things seem very familiar to my Series 1.5 Fulvia (just sold).

Andy, thank you!  I really do think it is brilliant!  I'll admit to a big van / truck / station wagon fascination (hence the Thema SW) and to find a van with a Lancia badge means a lot and especially one crying out to be used.  I know that we face many "trying" times to get "Gino" on the road and reliable but I'm hopeful that the joy of ownership will greatly overshadow this.  It's amazing how many people (non-Lancia and non-car) have been fascinated by it. 
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 01 December, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »

Don't suppose it's worth joining the UK Super Jolly Club as you'll be sitting alone in the pub!

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »

Congratulations Louise. Jason will surely be won over. As to the bodywork, it sounds in eminently suitable condition for being used without having to worry. Is it to be your race support vehicle?

Frank T
LouK

« Reply #10 on: 02 December, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »

Jason very much likes the SJ but is a little worried about the Unkown as with anything new.  Also the question "why" has been muttered on more than one occasion.  I'm into vintage cycling, regularly taking part in events for vintage (pre 1983 bikes) in Italy and the UK so having a period van to carry my bikes (and now Jason's as I've bought him one too) will be a wonderful luxury.  I also race a modern carbon fibre so can see the van being used lots there too - that would be cool.  A period "cutting edge" van housing a tricked up modern bike!

Also taking the van to Lancia events and classic car shows will be on the cars - he's so unique I'm sure he will be appreciated.  Just means Jason and I will have to travel separately so we can ensure the other cars get some fun. 

I can see him being used for race support perhaps if we ever get another Goodwood Revival invite or indeed using him to get down there and park in the Classic car parking.  I guess for me the uses are limitless providing we have reliability.

Ha ha Stanley - I've already mentioned to Dikappa that we should create a club - it will have to be a European wide so I get some company!  Also very keen to learn lots and hear people's experiences.  Ade, that includes you!
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 02 December, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »

Hi Louise, nice it arrived!

I have a 'workshop' manual here and a parts book that I could run through the scanner if that would be of help.  I also have one brake booster which I will not be using and an original overhaul kit for the master that I will not be using since mine is missing the master cylinder completely.

I do'nt think the braking system is any mor complex thent the flavia/flaminia system, there's just a bit more of everything.

As Ade already mentionned wheel bearings are a weak point (not the bearings themselves but the way thay have to be set up on the original car)
I re-dedigned the front set up using iveco daily front bearings (still exactly the same outer diameter, so there's the connection!), but that is a costly affair requiring some machining and fabrication of new parts (although all still reversible if needed/wished for) so I would advice checking play on all four wheels and if OK-->leave alone!
As I said they will fail when not pre-loaded correctly (which is not easy to obtain in the original setup), but if setup right I feel they will be quite up to the job.

DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »

UK Super Jolly Club?   Make that a FAN club and I'm in!!!

I am SO pleased for you.  I'm so pleased for ME as my chances of seeing one have risen dramatically.

As a thought to amuse: with bearings I'm not sure if the lack of load is a help (what weight will it carry?) or Lou at the wheel a problem...  Then again I doubt a "period van driver" would have been any easier on it.

If the issue is setup not design then that's a reassurance, and the Super Jolly Club already has the Mk1 Work Round sorted.

So - does it/he/she have a name yet?

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »

Anyone got a wax tip for the paint?

A friend who runs a museum swears by this stuff:

http://www.picreator.co.uk/articles/3_renaissance_wax.htm

I expect there are much better products for cars...anyone got "rat rod" experiance?

David Laver, Lewisham.
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2015, 03:20:30 PM »

Perhaps this thread and the other one http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8386.0  should be moved and combined under the Lancia Commercials heading.

These are a couple of articles about the Superjolly, the first is from the Winter 1987 LMC Journal (No 80) and the next is about the gathering we had not long after Fulvia 25 from the Winter 1988 LMC Journal (No 83)

* SuperJolly001q.jpg (186.09 KB, 699x1008 - viewed 483 times.)

* SuperJolly002q.jpg (172.11 KB, 700x1005 - viewed 674 times.)

* SuperJolly003q.jpg (140.42 KB, 996x669 - viewed 408 times.)

* SuperJolly004q.jpg (186.81 KB, 710x992 - viewed 446 times.)

* SuperJolly 25001q.jpg (183.86 KB, 726x994 - viewed 513 times.)
« Last Edit: 05 December, 2015, 03:27:25 PM by Sliding Pillar » Logged

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd