Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Imports  (Read 17223 times)
toby2449
« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

cheers for that Chris! i'm off now to save an extra few bob each month so i can pay off my Mondeo motor loan quicker!!
Alan Temple

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »

Hi Toby

My Dad now lives in ROI. What's the situation with local ROI taxes if you import a car from the UK or Europe?

Is it different tax levels between brand new cars - less than 6 months old or less than 6k miles on the clock, if that's the benchmark - or used cars older than this.

I had a look on the Irish Autotrader site a couple of weeks ago and a 5 year old MINI One with three owners and 60K miles on the clock was £10.5k. This was the cheapest ROI MINI on there, although there were UK dealers advertising cheaper cars with the caveat "car in UK" or similar.

I then decided to have a laugh and looked at the price of a used Aston Martin DB9 which was a staggering euro 250k which is a lot more than a brand new car costs here inc VAT.

Any info or hints much appreciated.
toby2449
« Reply #17 on: 23 January, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »

Hi, well unfortunetly when we buy new cars here in ireland we get screwed into the ground.

We have two types of tax on cars, VRT & VAT.

I've looked into this recently & heres the situation. If you import a car which is less than 6 months old or has less than 6000km on the clock you'd pay VRT & VAT. The VRT (vehicle registration tax) is a percentage of the calculated IRISH value of the car, depending on engine size, this can be from 22.5% to 30% of the value, then on top of that you'd pay VAT @ 21%

If the car is over 6 months old, or has more than 6000km on it you'd pay VRT but not VAT.

The revenue in ireland is very open about the costs of importing a car, actually i'd have to say the revenue here are probably the most open of anywhere! below is a website constructed by the Irish revenue to help you calculate your costs...

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT
toby2449
« Reply #18 on: 23 January, 2008, 09:58:28 PM »

just one more point about bringing a car into ireland, just keep in my that "road tax" here is also based on the vehicle's engine size

here's a site that tells you what you'd pay each year....

http://www.whatcar.ie/roadtaxcalculator.php

if you need anything else just ask & i'll do my best!
Alan Temple

« Reply #19 on: 24 January, 2008, 12:35:09 AM »

Toby mate. Thanks a lot, that's great.

I'll let the old man know and keep you posted.

Cheers again

Alan.
Goff
« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »

Brian,

Your import saved me a lot of hastle!! I recently purchased the pocket rocket from Gerard and very pleased with it I am to.

Thanks for your previous advice

Regards

Goff
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2008, 12:18:30 AM »

Brian,

Your import saved me a lot of hastle!! I recently purchased the pocket rocket from Gerard and very pleased with it I am to.

Thanks for your previous advice

Regards

Goff

Hi Goff,
Pleased she's gone to someone who will appreciate her, she's a cracking little car, I asked Gerard for first refusal as I would have liked her back, now that I can use my right arm again, unfortunately I couldn't justify adding another Lancia to the fleet Sad
Gerard has looked after her very well and she looked great when I saw her last year when my Fulvia acted as wedding car for him & Christine.
Any help I can give at any time please ask, hopefully all the history file came over to you as well.
If you want any photos of her in early days let me know.

Brian
 Cool

* DSCF0011 Y & Fay copy Reduced.jpg (127.76 KB, 750x568 - viewed 349 times.)

* Y & Fay together again copy Re.jpg (99.54 KB, 700x455 - viewed 376 times.)

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lee69
« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2008, 02:21:18 PM »

Goff

welcome to the curvy world of Y! (I assume you bought Brian's Elefantino?).  I hope to see you around in it during the summer.
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #23 on: 09 February, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »

Best thing I ever did when it comes to buying cars!

Do lots of research and if a modern car make sure you get full info such as emissions (CO2, if diesel then NOx and particualtes) etc as the DVLA now base car tax on that.

If you drive on import plates then you are insured 3rd party across EU. Good idea to get UK insurer to cover you based on chassis number. Go to local DVLA with all docs and enough redies for first registration. Buy and fit plates and Tax disc - notify insurer of new number plate and away you go!

Result: Audi A2 1.2 TDI 86g/km CO2 therefore ZERO road tax and if careful 93mpg or around 70mpg at motorway speeds.

See: www.A2OC.net

My Fulvia racecar was also an import.

Beware VAT levels in EU have changed eg: Germany was 16% now 19%

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 09 February, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »

Never has a car been so woefully ahead of its time as the A2.  Poor-selling and over-priced when on sale, now that Audi have stopped making it, it is rapidly looking to be the sort of car every manufacturer wants in their range. Brilliant engineering, too soon for the market, and an equally poor decision to axe it, just before oil began its rise to $100 a barrel.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #25 on: 10 February, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »

Why do ultra economic and small enviro friendly (?) cars have to be so hard on the eye. Im sure the downfall of the A2 was its looks.   

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 11 February, 2008, 02:09:17 PM »

Actually I rather like the A2, but then beauty is subjective...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #27 on: 13 February, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »

Even better the tyres are the same as S1 Fulvia !  145/80 R14 Bridgestone and Continental.

And cost around £40 each.

The great thing about the A2 is the Tardis like interior - it has more boot space than a Golf and more leg room in the back than an A4. In many ways it is like a modern Fulvia Saloon - fun to drive, practical and incredibly aerodynamic and OK it's no Coupe in styling but my one has Cd 0.25 same as a 2 seat Honda Insight Coupe but with twice the pax capacity and yet similar MPG returns.

angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #28 on: 07 March, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »

Full write up on my little A2 in this month's Audi Driver magazine. Smiley

Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #29 on: 12 June, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »

This seems an appropriate thread to ask for some info/help.

In between times am thinking of buying a LHD Lancia/FIAT car in the EU, more likely France and with a French MOT, drive it back to UK

Has anyone done this recently, re insurance on a foreign registered car, plus breakdown cover?

All advice appreciated.

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd