Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, just how do you remove an Aurelia cylinder head.....read on!?  (Read 6146 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 29 October, 2015, 12:24:58 PM »

This is an article taken form the ALR newsletter by Peter Renou their membership secretary, am sure they won't mind me posting it up on our forum (Morris Parry is fine with it!)

Please see photos too, one top side, one side on (hoping these come out as they didn't appear as photos on my hard drive....oh dear didn't work) The photos are on the ALR newsletter site page 19 of July 2014 edition)

Aurelia Cylinder Head Removal

Removal of a stuck cylinder head is a perennial
Aurelia problem – Appias too for that matter.
All sorts of pullers have been tried including
hooks in the inlet and outlet ports with mixed
success. However, I recently visited Morris Parry
and he showed me the ingenious and
simple method he used to remove a thoroughly
stuck B12 head.
Morris’ puller is a 3/8” steel plate drilled so it
can be bolted to the rocker block mounts. It is
tapped 8x1mm over the available head studs on
the pushrod side of the head. The ten bolts were progressively tightened in
sequence and the head came off easily. The
1mm pitch of the bolts allows good feel of the
pressure being applied to the head studs. I can
provide a sketch which shows the centres of the
drillings. by email if desired.

P

PS Maybe some knows better how to save, then up load the photos?
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2015, 07:30:44 AM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »

As you say Frank, Morris and James used this technique on a B12. I did the same for my B20 (see 'A B20 Story') and also recommended it to 'Clarkey' for the Appia with which he is fighting at the moment!!! (The story so far)

It really is as effective as described, it just takes some time to actually mark out, drill and tap the plate. I found that some of the holes I drilled did not EXACTLY match the head studs, but enough did to make it an easy and effective puller.

Andy
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »

Hi all Clarkey here
anyone got a picture of this puller on a head still trying to visualise it... as the Appia head is inverted V is the plate flat or bent into an upside down V?
Puzzled of Hartlepool

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2015, 04:28:02 PM »

Hi Clarkey, there are two photos on this web site, go to members area, log in using vincenzo2go, choose newsletters 2011-15, then select July 2014 to download, go to page 19 for the photos

http://alr.org.au/members-area/newsletters-2011-2015/

P

Frank Gallagher
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2015, 05:58:34 PM »

Password protected?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »

Vincenzo2go

Assuming correct spelling of his name

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »

This is my puller on a B20 head. There are nuts on the 6 rocker block studs, they secure the head to the plate. The bolts in threaded holes through the plate bear onto the ends of the head studs. Simply by tightening these bolts the head may be lifted in a controlled true manner.

I am struggling to select the photographs, so I hope all is well.

Andy

* B20 head puller on engine, side view 2photo.JPG (510 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 405 times.)

* B20 head puller on engine , side view 1photo.JPG (396.58 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 370 times.)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »

Excellent Andy, so how is your engine coming along now?

P

Frank Gallagher
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2015, 07:15:27 AM »

Ahh... so it has 2 separate heads.. Be a bit tricky bending 3/8 plate to sit across the Appia head and then you would need to drill the holes at an angle perhaps 2 pullers plates one each side then bolted together somehow.. Don suggested locking nuts on the studs and taking them out then small wedges around the edges..
Thanks ever so much for sharing this
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »

That's an interesting conundrum. I guess you can't use the rocker mountings as the pickup point for the plate because they are not in the same plane as the head studs. Is there any alternative fixing to which you can attach the plate?

* Appia Vignale Convertible restoration mechanics .jpg (29.11 KB, 432x344 - viewed 574 times.)
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #10 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »

Hi
I will have a look next time I am at the unit but possibly the inlet and exhaust manifold mounting studs as they are at 90 degrees to the head studs. I have a spare cylinder head that came with the car to experiment on and I looked at the possibility of using the rocker shafts with some threaded bar and a U shaped bracket...
Clarkey

the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »

The only issue is how to attach the plate to the head. Based solely on the photograph of the dissembled engine,  I think that straps bolted onto the inlet and exhaust manifold studs and welded (could be bolted if you do not have access to a welder) to the plate would be sufficient.

Then it's all standard stuff!!!! Good luck.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd