Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:02:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof chopping on B20s - a thread from the Lancisti forum  (Read 22683 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 05 October, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showthread.php?8586-Roof-chopping-on-B20s

I am sure there'll be a few more opinions on these apparent goings on!

P

Frank Gallagher
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »

For a one off, you pay your money and take your choice. But another eight is a slightly different matter. The first car looked in perfectly reasonable condition for a restoration but the later pictures on instagram are of a complete basket case, if not worse. If the eight follow on cars are all based on projects in this bad a condition I can see the argument for creating something desirable but completely non standard.

I'm afraid this is a strong new trend in the automotive world of taking classics and radically modifying them into something of much higher performance, often with ultra modern mechanicals. This car is at least true to something Lancia could have built.

In a way I think it's a bit like embracing Stratos replicas or Alfa V6 engine Montecarlos. It's a different way of enjoying cars.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2015, 10:28:42 PM »

http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showthread.php?8586-Roof-chopping-on-B20s

I am sure there'll be a few more opinions on these apparent goings on!

P

Is the owner a friend of Snow White?
While I like the workmanship it's seems another case of someone thinking they can do better than Lancia did, shame they decided to butcher another lovely B20 to achieve something that to my mind is a retrograde step.
Why not have a complete car made from scratch if the owner has access to the sort of funding this must have required rather than orphanising another poor B20 for someones own vanity.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2015, 10:47:43 PM »

Anyone know the Augusta?

https://instagram.com/p/4PTVtKL3bO/?taken-by=rizzleperks

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2015, 04:01:50 AM »

An interesting roll cage has been slotted in, not least to help with seat belt mountings. Also, a change from right hand to left hand drive!!

Altogether though, a shame to butcher what appeared to be a pretty much sound B20.

Can anyone make out what engine that is?

Andy
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2015, 06:03:57 AM »

Some more info....

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/floored-by-a-fuorilegge-the-lowline-lancia/
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »

It's the March Special which was sold at the Brightwell's auction last year and recently was for sale at more than double the price it fetched. I see they have found its engine and gearbox - or another one. I like the look of the B20s and the photography is, as usual with them, excellent. It makes me think it would be worth while digging up the remains of my third series car which I buried in Berkshire in the 1970s, after driving into a hedge. 
Regards, John
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2015, 08:02:01 AM »

I think they have lost something essential in the lines by rounding off the back end of the rear side windows during the roof chop. The slight flattening of the curve on the standard car, and most (if not all) Lancia's own low roof B20s is a subtle but essential part of the Aurelia GT look.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »

It makes me think it would be worth while digging up the remains of my third series car which I buried in Berkshire in the 1970s, after driving into a hedge. 
Regards, John

John, can I sign up to said expedition, am a master metal detectorist, good with a shovel and make S**T hot tea.....Wink

P

Frank Gallagher
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 06 October, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »

It makes me think it would be worth while digging up the remains of my third series car which I buried in Berkshire in the 1970s, after driving into a hedge.  
Regards, John

John, can I sign up to said expedition, am a master metal detectorist, good with a shovel and make S**T hot tea.....Wink

P

Yes, sure. There's a B12 and an Augusta saloon there, too. If they don't suit you there's also my brother's Buick, which he drove down from London just to dump! Trouble is, they are a good few feet under - and I've no idea what's on top these days. Finding the correct field might not be all that easy either, but one day it will be worth while trying. By the way, I don't drink tea!
Regards, John
« Last Edit: 06 October, 2015, 09:55:43 AM by Parisien » Logged
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 06 October, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »

Everyone has their own view on "standard" or "mod".  Change the colour?  Electric fan and petrol pump?  Where do you draw the line?  Its a pub conversation that will always run to last orders.

Another point to divide people:  it seems like the motivation was to "put Aurelias on the map" which is either "about time" or a cynical "smart move having laid in a stock of project cars".

As for what they've achieved...as soon as you take the bumpers off you're down the "mod" road and things go out of balance.  "My" car ended up with different rear wheel arches in a different place and the rear window didn't look quite right with the rear sat lower.  "Mine" (its ten years on now since it went...) looks ok with the bumpers off but better with them on.  This one looks great without the bumpers and at the height its sitting which is a great achievement.  Is this the first lowline with the big rear window?  Did the originals have different rear windows?

If I'd have kept my car how far might I have gone with it...?

I'd have had those wheels on it for sure.  A triple carb setup likewise and I'm sure I could have been tempted by a Flamina engine and box for the availability and robustness and power. The tray for the carbs I don't like: I'd have had a period air filter or used rivets instead of welding.  There's a period spiral wound petrol hose I like, the "D" cars had it.  I love the original steering wheel, even more than the Nardis which of course are fabulous so regret their choice here.  I like the seats, the rear lights suit it.  The headlights are nice, not so sure about the fog lights or spots, the originals are SO special why change them?  A shame to loose the front sidelights which throw a gorgeous star pattern when on.  The bonnet latches are lovely, I once looked at that style for the boot. The cage is well done, fire bottle subtle, harnesses suit it.  Not so sure about the particular matting or quilted tunnel cover but like that its not carpet or over done - the spirit remains.  The dash is good.  I'd prefer alloy handles but good to see its Lancia bits.

Its been well done and I do like it.  Said it.

Would I have one?  Having let my "bad boy" go the one I hoped I'd be able to buy "later" was  a totally original first or second series car.  Would I put one of these in the "dream garage" next to it for "everyday use"?   I think I'd rather a totally original PF Flamina as a more usable and robust and longer legged car.  That would make quite a pair.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 06 October, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »

Seriously.......3 Lancias buried? I shudder to think whats left of them by now!

Would make for an interesting "forum" day out.

Don't worry, I keep a stash of single malt for such occasions if such a cache of Lancias was ever unearthed

Grin

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 06 October, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »

A rather more extreme chop:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/10/supra-powered-lancia-behind-build/

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/floored-by-a-fuorilegge-the-lowline-lancia/

And the B20 on the side bar.....must say, its rather...........fetching in menacing black and naked wheel hubs, as for whats under the bonnet........?!??!??!

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »

http://www.thornleykelham.com/gallery/1951-mille-miglia-lancia-aurelia-b20gt-series-1/#ad-image-7

So how closely do the "chopped' B20s by TK follow the Bracco/Lancia modifications/changes etc?

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd