Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:47:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Y10 front suspension assembly  (Read 4503 times)
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« on: 05 October, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »

Having dismantled my front suspension to replace some boots and bushes I now can't get it back together again. Neither the workshop manual or Haynes manual is specific about the order of reassembly but no matter how I approach it the last bit is nowhere near meeting up with the bolt holes.

Can anybody advise me on the order of reassembly and what the trick is to get everything aligned?
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:51:36 PM »

Which specifically are the bolts that won't line up Frank?
Ben
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:30:50 PM »

Ben

I have attached the strut top mounts, reaction bar at both ends and the bottom ball joint to the track control arm. The inner end of the track control bar can be persuaded into the chassis mounting but the hole in the bush is not in the same plane as the bolt holes in the chassis. I can't get a grip on the track control arm to force the holes into alignment. Jacking up under the lower ball joint forces the bottom of the strut out to the side of the body so the inner end of the track control arm can't be inserted into the chassis mounting bracket. Brian Hilton suggested removing the anti-roll bar but that hasn't allowed any flexibility in the track control arm to line up the bolt holes.

I could keep working through all the permutations of fitting things in different orders but I would rather follow a procedure that has worked for someone else. Then at least I know it should work and it is worth persisting with.

help!
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »

Hi Frank
I agree with Brian that it is best to remove the anti-roll bar completely.

Fit the strut to the top of its tunnel and have it dangling without the hub attatched at this initial stage.

With the track control arm loosely bolted to the tie rod fit the inner end into its location on the chassis (so that the bolt you are struggling with can be easily inserted) and insert the tie rod with its various washers and rubber "cushions" into its location at the front of the wheel arch at the same time. I am pretty sure that was how I did mine when I had the gear box off to replace the core-plug that is hiding behind the flywheel.

The hub unit can then be fitted on to the drive shaft and the bottom swivel taper joint connected.

Finally the hub is connected to the bottom of the strut with the two fore and aft bolts.

I am afraid this is all from what is these days a rather poor memory but hopefully it will help.

Ben
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »

Thanks Ben. I will give that a go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd