Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:02:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S3 Appia Solex carb  (Read 4847 times)
John B
Lapsed

« on: 22 September, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »

I needed to check the carburettor fuel/air mixture as the spark plugs were very black after just a few journeys so checked
my English Lancia manual (pdf format) for advice on how to set it up. It says to unscrew the volume screw until the engine "gallops" then wind it back in until it runs smooth. My engine didn't "gallop" it just coughed and spluttered a bit.
Wound it back to where it was and for the time being will leave it there.
The manual did not state if screwing the adjuster in weakens or enriches the mixture so needed to investigate further.

Found this Solex pdf doc  Solex manual   http://oacdp.org/pdfs/solex.pdf

which goes into all sorts of detail about their range of carburettors, interestingly it states that to adjust the fuel mixture unscrew the volume screw until the engine starts to "hunt" then wind it back in until it runs smoothly.

So now I am thinking that perhaps something has got lost in translation in the Lancia manual where they say "Gallop" instead of "Hunt"........ coughs and splutters sums it better than either of those terms anyway!
Incidentally the Solex manual did say that screwing the adjuster in weakens the mixture, a helpful piece of info that the Lancia manual omitted.

Maybe useful for previous thread-    Re: Solex C32 PAIA 8  Carburettor manual?

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »

What's the air filter like? I had a Fulvia coupe and when I changed the air filter the fuel consumption went from around 25mpg to 30+ mpg.
I might be wrong but that screw thing is only for tickover...

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »

Air filter is fairly new.....still very clean.
One other thought - when I bought the car the rubber pipe from the oil filler/breather cap to the underside of the air filter box was just directed down the back of the engine and the air filter was extremely dirty. After changing the filter I connected the pipe back to the air filter and it shows no sign of excessive fumes etc being drawn into the carb.
Recently the guy I bought the car from saw I had reconnected it and said he thought it was better if not connected but didn't give any reason. Huh? Huh?

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:30:18 PM »

John,

Thank you for the link to that Solex manual. Quite interesting - have downloaded it as a pdf.
Might be useful sometime for my Solex carb on the Aurelia B12.

I would also be interested in a web link for a similar manual for Weber carbs, especially the 40 DCZ/DCL.

Sebastien
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2015, 08:32:55 AM »

I've always used spark plug testers and Gunson Colour Tune (See Ebay). Works well on the Dilambda!

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »

Thanks for that - Gunson Colour tune looks promising........
However, one worry is with the spark plugs being so deeply set into the engine will this be a problem - anyone used it on an Appia?

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »

Adjusting the fuel mixture depends on the type of Solex. If I remember correctly, in the Fulvia undoing the idle screws will enrich the mixture. In the Appia undoing the single screw will weaken the mixture.
Having taken apart a few Appia Solex carbs I should say that finding wrongly sized jets was not uncommon. Moreover, the housing of the idle jet was often full of dirt and the jet itself in poor shape. It is very helpful to fit an inline fuel filter before the carb, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 23 September, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »

I haven't used a colourtune on a Fulvia but mine fits with a 22mm socket and on a Fulvia I suspect the plugs being buried deep in the head may make it even easier to see the colour of combustion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd