Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:07:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia race preparation  (Read 19010 times)
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 22 September, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »

A very smart March in the US, and a very scruffy special I think now in Germany that I think Robbie Coltrane raced for a while, and a Zagato.

Robbie Coltrane owned it, but I don't think he actually raced it. It was raced in VSCC events many years previously with a British Salmson engine. I went to see it when it was last in the U.K., but was not impressed.
I would like to know who owns the smart March. I particularly like the early style front wings it now has.
Regards, John
Mike reminded me that the owner who raced it in VSCC events was Roy Terry from Stratford upon Avon. I don't think he ever joined the LMC.
Regards, John
Tony Stephens

« Reply #16 on: 23 September, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »

Has anyone actually had a conrod break due to fatigue or ageing on an Aprilia? Is there a proper metallurgical explanation?
I'd be glad to know before getting around to my 1350cc engine. The rods look easily substantial enough for the task.
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 24 September, 2015, 07:03:38 AM »

Has anyone actually had a conrod break due to fatigue or ageing on an Aprilia? Is there a proper metallurgical explanation?
I'd be glad to know before getting around to my 1350cc engine. The rods look easily substantial enough for the task.
Years ago, someone from RAE Farnbrough suggested that all Aprilia conrods would fail one day due to metal fatigue. Luckily, it hasn't happened yet!
Regards, John
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 28 September, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »

How about this one? A rather tall looking single seater, it was in the paddock at the VSCC race meeting at Snetterton yesterday and it's for sale! The owner thinks it was made from a 1938 Aprilia - with some MG connections, but I think it's a bit later than that and based on a second series car. I have no idea what the MG connection is. It has a Shorrocks supercharger mounted in front of the engine, but of the type which doesn't get VSCC approval, as its inlet and outlets are side by side, instead of being at 180 degrees. It needs a bit of finishing and has rather nasty plastic pipes for the front suspension oilers, but they could easily be replaced - or just removed. The seat has some aircraft related history, but I forget what! Anyone interested should contact Stephen Cato or Duncan Sutton at www.historicsportscarcollection.com
Regards, John

* Apriliaracer1.jpg (1449.46 KB, 3600x4362 - viewed 524 times.)

* Apriliaracer2.jpg (1416.26 KB, 4672x3584 - viewed 499 times.)

* Apriliaracer1a.jpg (760.33 KB, 3600x4362 - viewed 507 times.)
« Last Edit: 28 September, 2015, 10:14:23 AM by JohnMillham » Logged
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 28 September, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »

Here is a write up from another site with much more detail.

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=61952

For sale by auction on Saturday 30 November 2013 with Historics at Brooklands. Brooklands Motor Racing Circuit. Weybridge. Surrey. Call 01753 639170
The Lancia/MG is an example of a 'new' vintage special. having
been built by Richard Thompson in the early 1980's from the
mechanical parts of a Lancia Aprilia. These have then been
assembled onto a 1934 MG PA boxed chassis. Needless to say. the
chassis had to undergo some surgery to allow the transplant to
work. It has been cut. inverted. reversed and plated to produce a
very un-Abingdon-like structure that matches up with the Lancia
independent suspension systems as well as giving it a wheelbase of
seven foot. six inches long.

The overhead camshaft (1352cc) Lancia engine has been totally
rebuilt. tuned and now sports a Shorrocks supercharger fed by a two
inch S. U. downdraught carburettor. With a modest six psi boost. br/>about 70bhp is produced. The drive train. all Lancia. incorporates
the original four speed gearbox and the MG cart springs have been
replaced by Lancia independent suspension at all four corners. At
the front end. this is by the well known coil springs and dampers. br/>whilst at the rear. a transverse semi-epileptic spring is coupled
to torsion bars with short trailing arms.

The brakes are hydraulically actuated with servo assistance from
a Lancia Flavia unit. Disc wheels use 165x400 tyres at the front
with 19x400 at the rear. As well as having a blower. the engine
also incorporates a couple more ingenious items; as it runs without
a cooling fan. or dynamo for that matter. a bigger radiator from an
Austin 12/4 has been bought in together with a larger pre-war Fiat
water pump. The plate-type oil cleaner has also been replaced by a
full-flow air-cooled unit.

The original body made of fabric-covered marine plywood with a
louvered bonnet has been superseded by a bespoke aluminium unit. br/>beautifully crafted to fit and taking its styling cues from such
icons as the Maserati 6C and 250F.

Originally completed in 1985. the Lancia/MG was entered in a
number of vintage events including Wiscombe. Shelsley Walsh and
Prescott; however. difficulties with the car's ageing driver
prevented it actually taking part. Stewardship was then passed to
Nick Savage for further works before selling to Trevor Pask in

This is a tribute to a pre-war design initiated by famous racing
driver. Reg Parnell when he rebuilt his car using the front axle
from a Lancia Augusta mated to his MG K3. The cockpit
includes a selection of modern Smiths instruments such as oil
pressure. oil temperature. water temperature and a period military
aviation boost gauge. There are also two AC period instruments. br/>Speedometer and rev. counter. A side exit exhaust. with no baffle. br/>leaves the engine further indicating its competition
credentials.

As the work on this exciting project is largely complete. there
appears to be relatively little to do. Included with the car are a
number of spares including templates. panels. rear axle and
differential unit. radiator as well as a number of other
items. It has been accepted to compete by the VSCC with the
accompanying letter in the history file as well as the buff
application booklet. It is also mentioned at length in John
Batemans book. 'The Enthusiasts Guide to Vintage Specials'. and
should prove a rewarding drive for future national and
international vintage racing.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 28 September, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »

Would be nice with mudguards and lights .......

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 28 September, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »

I remembered this car and the price it went for, I was at the sale and seriously looking at buying it. I wonder how much they want for it.   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 28 September, 2015, 03:31:24 PM »

Would be nice with mudguards and lights .......
Not much room for the shopping!
Regards, John
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 28 September, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »

I remembered this car and the price it went for, I was at the sale and seriously looking at buying it. I wonder how much they want for it.   
Rather more than a really good original Aprilia.
Regards, John
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 28 September, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »

I was also there - sorry to miss you John...

The water pump looked like an aluminium version of the Ford sidevalve pump, maybe branded "aquaplane".  I recognized it as I have one in a box to use myself.

The seat was in the first Comet to fly the Atlantic.

He seemed convincing that it has VSCC signoff, but from memory such things go with the owner-car combination and have to be reapplied for in new ownership.

I didn't dare take sufficient interest to get an indication of price having confessed to having looked to buy it from Mr Savage way back when.

Photos to follow.

David Laver, Lewisham.
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 29 September, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »

He seemed convincing that it has VSCC signoff, but from memory such things go with the owner-car combination and have to be reapplied for in new ownership.

Quite correct - and it will not get a buff form with the present blower. Shame really, as I have one of those and would like to be able to use it on the Augusta!
Regards, John
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 07 October, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »

Now sold, but here is another race prepared car with an Aurelia engine

* lanciabarchetta.jpg (88.54 KB, 640x480 - viewed 776 times.)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
welleyes

« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2015, 09:56:37 AM »

Regarding Tony Stephens' question in September asking if anyone has experienced a broken connecting rod on an Aprilia engine, the answer is 'Yes!' My brother Andrew was driving his 1937 Aprilia and had just pulled away gently from a junction when a rod exited through both sides of the block and the sump. Although there were offers of rods from other owners and a spare engine was found, he decided on new alloy rods. Casual conversation since has discovered owners of modest pre war side valve saloons who have had alloy rods break. Our little motoring world is divided into people who know alloy conrods do not break because theirs haven't and people who are sadder and wiser. Talking to motorcycle racers at the Revival, they don't even use new old stock 'rods as they believe they age on the shelf. BSA rods were particularly mentioned in that context. The probability is that none of your rods will break so do not fret about it, but if you intend to race, rally or drive like a young hooligan, then newly manufactured rods would be a sensible precaution. The fact that among the rods offered to Andy were incomplete sets suggests that rods have broken in the past.

Stuart Tallack
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #28 on: 20 November, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »

Apologies if I am repeating something here but aluminium and steel have quite different stress characteristics. In aluminium stress is cumulative, building up over the life of the component till the limit is reaches and it fails whereas steel retains its' resilience until a critical load is exceeded. Push steel too far and it will break but stay below that limit and you should be OK. Push aluminium for too long and the vulnerability accumulates over time and may let go under even quite light load.

Frank T
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #29 on: 21 November, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »

...which explains why Serdi insisted I have new rods made when they rebuilt my engine.    Unfortunately they are steel which throws the balance out and necessitated a trip to Vibration Free (see technical thread).  Engine is now smooth as silk and probably bomb proof.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd