Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 09:48:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We are on a road trip to Italy  (Read 7596 times)
Mr Dunamis
Lapsed

« on: 15 September, 2015, 07:48:26 PM »

Having had the Fulvia for all of 2 months and only done about 500k in her we, or rather me, elected to take the Fulvia as our transport to Verbania, Lago di Maggiore. My wife seemed quite cool with the decision as the Fulvia is quieter, more comfortable and more roomy (in the front) than the Alfa GT Junior, so the Lancia it is then.

Our route meant a drive from Manchester to Folkestone to pick up the Eurotunnel train and then on to Reims where we took in the nostalgic and atmospheric remains of the circuit de Reims and then via Freiburg and onto the high Alpine passes of Furka and Simplon. I have to admit I was a bit concerned about the size of the fuel tank in the Fulvia and it's potential lack of range. Well I need not have been worried on that score for she excelled herself in returning and epic 46.5 mpg on one leg which involved driving on arrow straight 'N' roads punctuated by infrequent bends and occasional villages which meant short 50kph sections. The Fulvia was happy bowling along between 90 to 100kph and munched up the kilometres with aplomb. The only time she was seen to be lacking was on the high mountain passes in Switzerland where the lack of torque began to tell but apart from that she went like a scalded Italian cat. Another unexpected benefit is that the price of fuel across Europe has dropped dramatically and what with the increase in the value of the £ against the Euro means that petrol is a little bit above £1 per litre.

We have now arrived at our hotel, which has covered parking, having covered just under 1600km in 3 days. No oil consumed the only issue being the size of the speed bumps trying to get on the train at Folkestone. And much to my wife's delight luggage wise we were able to take everything that she had packed and so she is very happy with life at the moment.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »

Bonne route and look forward to updates and photos

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »

As your good lady is enjoying the Fulvia you seem to have got it made. Hope the rest of your trip is as delightful.
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2015, 08:40:36 AM »

All sounds good. They are good on fuel on long 5th gear runs. In the old days had a couple night journeys through France and survived the heart in the mouth moments when the fuel light came on as dawn approached. French villages are hardly bustling at the height of the day, but it always got us to a supermarket somewhere. Now I don't need to, I always carry 5 litres in the boot. No logic at all.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »

All sounds good. They are good on fuel on long 5th gear runs. In the old days had a couple night journeys through France and survived the heart in the mouth moments when the fuel light came on as dawn approached. French villages are hardly bustling at the height of the day, but it always got us to a supermarket somewhere. Now I don't need to, I always carry 5 litres in the boot. No logic at all.
Hi Stan,
I don't know if you remember them but when on the Continent I carry 10 litres in a 'Paddy Hopkirk Explosafe?' can, I feel much safer as it's stuffed with mesh as they used to use in racing cars so it won't sustain fire, and I saw a demonstration once of someone dropping a lighted match into a full can, not something I'm, tempted to try myself Shocked but as the best consumption I've ever had out of "Fay" was 27.5 mpg (probably my right foot is to blame)I feel happier carrying it.
However I though you were not supposed to carry fuel cans in France?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »

Hi Stan,
I don't know if you remember them but when on the Continent I carry 10 litres in a 'Paddy Hopkirk Explosafe?' can, I feel much safer as it's stuffed with mesh as they used to use in racing cars so it won't sustain fire, and I saw a demonstration once of someone dropping a lighted match into a full can, not something I'm, tempted to try myself Shocked but as the best consumption I've ever had out of "Fay" was 27.5 mpg (probably my right foot is to blame)I feel happier carrying it.
However I though you were not supposed to carry fuel cans in France?

Brian
8227 Cool The best mpg figure I have ever had from my Lambda is also 27 point something, on the sliding pillar rally this year. Great for a Lambda, cruising at a genuine 60 mph whenever possible. Possibly due to the huge rear tyres I have on it at the moment. It's not so good at hill climbing though! The car used to do about 23 mpg on a good day.
Regards, John
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »

Think I used to get around 38-40 on long runs, around 27 driven hard. Brian - you could be right about fuel cans in France. I'd better look it up. Think I might have put it in there for the Knights Rally and never used it.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:14:01 PM »

Petrol cans not allowed on cross channel ferries, not sure about in France.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »

OK in France but I think that they should be empty !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »

Someone in the know recently told me that 5 litres is the maximum in the UK now. I don`t know if anyone can verify that. I know we always struggle when when we need to take 4 or 5 Jerry cans of fuel to a race meeting because filling stations don`t like you filling that much in cans. I agree ferries don`t allow full cans of fuel but it`s ok to fill the race cars up? Seems a bit contradictory.

1600 HF. S2.
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »

Always carry a full 5 litre can in the Dilambda even though it has a 23 gallon tank! 10 - 15 miles to the gallon from the 2 ton beast with a 4 litre V8 yer see!!! Shocked

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
Mr Dunamis
Lapsed

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

So yesterday, without an emergency 5 litre petrol for back up, we set off for the 100 mile or so journey to Torino. Unfortunately the weather was more Manchester than Italy, well at least for the first 50 miles or so. After a while the cloud began to lose it's grey uniformity and began to break up as the heavy rain gave way to light drizzle and by the time we reached Torino it was dry but overcast.

We reached the outskirts of Torino and took a deep breath and plunged straight in. Our first stop would be at the Museo dell automobile, the sat nav did it's job perfectly and I have to say that our car is a far calmer place than it used to be with various maps held upside down with Hilary (wife) giving directions just that little bit too late. Back to the museum, or 'museo' as those of us who holiday in Italy say these days. Firstly, the building is a fine example of, well a building, it's champion and looks fine and modern. Inside, on the ground floor there is space for a small race track! We needed a coffee to fortify us after the journey across Torino, more of that to come. I am usually somewhat reluctant to purchase drinks etc in a museum, sorry museo, due to the prices etc but we were pleasantly surprised to pay only 3 euros for a couple of coffees and a doughnut. Top marks awarded.

We duly paid our 12 euros each for entrance to the galleries and started to have a mooch around. I was a little concerned as I had heard a report that it had gone ''all modern'' with very few cars and loads of videos and social comment. Well I need not have worried there were loads of cars, ok they were mainly, Italian and then of course mainly Fiats, well no surprises . Yes it could have a better balance as it is looking at the development of the motor car and the social impact but we are in Italy and I like Italian cars so no problemo for me. I thought that they explained the economic and social aspects of the car really well and Hilary said she found that really interesting. The motor racing hall was really good with many racingcars across the history of F1 lined up in threes in grid formation along the room; it was a spectacular line up, if a bit red. I did tell you that it had it had an Italian ; it was spectacularly brilliant.

Yes there were a few Lancias and there was a Fulvia coupe that had been prepared for Paris-Peking long distance rally; now that did look wonderful. Well worth a visit if you are ever in Torino.

Now to part 2 of our visit to Torino. The plate that covers the radio has been well butchered and has no Fulvia script so looks a mess. I emailed Cavalitto's and they have one in stock so thought aha! When we visit Torino drop in there and pick one up, simples. Address in sat nav and off we go. It looked like we would be crossing right through the centre of Torino no matter we have driven through a Milanese rush hour we had been trained and was ready for anything.

I did learn a lot more about driving in Italy, red lights do not neccessarily mean 'stop', a solid white line in the centre of the road does not always mean you can't cross it to get to the front of the queue, bus and tram lanes are not for their exclusive use, and to top it all pavements are nor for the exclusive use of pedestrians, if your car is narrow enough and you can bump up and down the kerbs use them, make that fourth lane! Driving assertively we got to Cavalitto's where people were buying windscreens, seals, and all sorts of Lancia bits and bobs. After waiting 20 mins or so I got served and bought my radio cover. Good news is that it is cheaper than the email quote.

Had a wander around la centro doing some window shopping and then set the sat nav for home and negotiated the Turinese evening rushour traffic. Piece of cake don't know what all the fuss is about driving in Italy.  Wink

Sorry no photos yet, they will follow.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd