Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:16:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old photo - the folly of youth  (Read 6509 times)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« on: 03 September, 2015, 04:15:48 PM »

A friend sent me a couple of scanned (hence poor quality) photos today. This one was taken around 1988 in a service station car park where I was replacing a piston and rod !

Said friend arrived in his Prisma with all the bits .......

* Diamond062.jpg (128.32 KB, 421x272 - viewed 585 times.)

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2015, 06:46:16 AM »

Brilliant, where were you (motorway services?).

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »

Yes, motorway services somewhere in the NW of England - probably M6.

The car ran for a few more years without problems before the tin-worm got it ! (RLG 911H for those interested)

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »

I'm trying to remember if as many as two out of the six pistons in the Aurelia were the same size and shape when I got it from you Wink

Tim Burrett put in a matched set for me when I went all posh with it all the same colour all over and everything, but second hand and the ring gaps opened out for new and in one slot I think a new pair of rings.

Jason and Louise have new pistons in - but the time they've had it and the use its had I expect now distinctly second hand.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2015, 03:49:22 PM »

I'd struggle to replace a piston and rod if I was given free run of a clinical F1 workshop. Although I have noticed the title..........

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »

I've just noticed that the Lada Estate (??) opposite you had his bonnet up too. Was he after some advice as well?

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
RobD
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »

Changing a piston and rod in a car park is an impressive feat of bush-mechanicing. Grin  I certainly can't top it but I did once blow the head gasket on my Moggy Minor pick up during my early morning commute on a remote country road in Cheshire. The only tools I had were whatever rusty spanners, pliers and screwdrivers which happened to be rattling around the uncovered pick up-bed.
Somehow I managed to get the head off only to discover it was cracked. Undeterred I caught next bus to civilisation [ Sandbach ] where I knew there was a scrapyard. I bought a head for a fiver and caught the next bus back, fitted the head and made it into work before lunch.
 Tell that to the kids of today, and they won't believe you...

You're all entitled to my opinion.
'75 Fulvia 1.3S
'68 works Laverda 125cc ISDT
KTM 640 Adventure
Yamaha TDM 900
Numerous Gas Gas trail bikes...
www.adventureride.co.uk
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »

When I was 21 (a long time ago...) I was working up at Leeds during the summer and coming back to Hertfordshire at the weekends in my old Ford 100E. On one occasion on the Friday afternoon a rear axle bearing seized and locked the offside rear dragging the car and me across two lanes and towards the central reservation. With a lot of left lock the car drifted back to the hard shoulder leaving a nice black line. It was a testament to remould technology that the remould tyre did not delaminate or explode. Anyway I got the car dragged off the M1 to to the nearest garage where I parked it up. They were going to be shut at the weekend so I thought I could get back home (hitching) and persaude my dad to go to a breakers yard and find a replacement axle which we did and drove back up and being summertime the were long days so fitted the axle (reconnected brakes etc) and drove back home in convoy. I was worried that we had bought a duff axle as it went clonk clonk clonk down the round, but realised it was the flat spot of the tyre. Folly of youth not to change the tyre too....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »

I truly cringe at some of the antics that my friends and I got up to with cars all those years ago. Life was so much simpler then. That is not just the cars, hitching was a legitimate way of travel (unreliable but mainly fun) and there so many more buses .....

Andy   
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2015, 12:50:48 PM »

I truly cringe at some of the antics that my friends and I got up to with cars all those years ago. Life was so much simpler then. That is not just the cars, hitching was a legitimate way of travel (unreliable but mainly fun) and there so many more buses .....

Andy   

When I was at Uni (mid 70s), before having a car, I used hitching to get around, in fact our student house was in Coventry and the Uni is on the way to Kenilworth, so we all trooped out in a morning down to the main road and hitched into for lectures, never an issue and always on time.

I also had a memorable trip to visit girlfriend in Liverpool from Coventry, only required 2 lifts, one up the M6 at 80 mph and a great couple from the M6 who went out of their way to drop me at the girlfriends house... I probably would not have driven that journey as quick.

Happy days

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »

Getting and giving lifts had it's dangers, at one time I used to give lifts all the time especially to squaddies, or people with trade plates; that was until a friend of mine who I worked with disappeared one day, his car was found covered in blood and eventually his body was found, he'd been murdered by a soldier he gave a lift to, when it came to trial the soldier said he'd made sexual advances to him, but I know for a fact that wasn't true, and the real reason eventually came out that it was a robbery that went wrong, ever since then I only give a lift to someone I know.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »

I'm trying to remember if as many as two out of the six pistons in the Aurelia were the same size and shape when I got it from you

I think that may be a slight exaggeration, but not too far from the truth ..... running an Aurelia on a student grant (remember those ??) was difficult and it does remind me of another "folly" when I dropped a valve on the A1 near Hitchen

Another story involving bush-mechanics ..... fortunately my heads were on bolts, not studs , so you could remove one at the side of the road !

Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »

Bolts not studs. Good idea.

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd