Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:10:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dedra Turbo  (Read 19941 times)
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »

large moustaches and zimmer frames;

you'll run down the battery if you leave the hearing aid on during the day Colonel!

« Last Edit: 23 October, 2007, 05:34:56 PM by Scarpia » Logged
inthedark
« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2007, 06:04:52 PM »

a ?, what was that ?, speak up a bit, you've no respect for your elders
Harvey
« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »

So, does anyone want a car? I said "DOES ANYONE WANT A CAR?"  Smiley
inthedark
« Reply #18 on: 23 October, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »

The'res no need to shout
Oh and
NOthank you
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #19 on: 23 October, 2007, 11:16:15 PM »

I wouldn't shout if I were you Colonel, the new improved Harvey (as seen in his picture) looks like a cross between Dirty Harry and the Terminator. Is this what we may expect in the future? "Administrate and Terminate". Should sort out the hooligans anyway...
Rodders
« Reply #20 on: 24 October, 2007, 07:49:13 AM »

Hooligans?  What hooligans?

Rodders
inthedark
« Reply #21 on: 24 October, 2007, 04:14:34 PM »

1) I really don't think that's a picture of Harvey and

2) there's ONE of him and Bl**din thousands of us (Hooligans)

'the colonel' , Hooligan, Rebel, Renegade, Annoyer of all, and Gamma driver.......
Harvey
« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2007, 12:12:30 PM »

Thanks for the interest, folks. I have now agreed a price and the car is due to be delivered to the new owner on Sunday.

I expect to get sentimental on the day!  Cry
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

Well, Harvey, that solves my dilemma!

Next to the Dilambda on the LMC stand at the NEC was an immaculate Dedra Turbo and so impressed was I that I had it in mind to contact you with a view to purchasing yours as a replacement for our ageing Alfa 157. Hey ho!

Robin Lacey.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2007, 08:24:07 PM »

Sorry, I can't agree with this.
We've owned two Dedras, & they were both truly horrible cars. Built down to a price, thirsty, undergeared and talk about rust at the rear wheelarches/cills!
Perhaps the later ones with 16v engines that were available on the Continent were slightly better than the awful 8v but by then it was too late in the UK. Not too much of a surprise then that RHD production ceased shortly after.
Glad to get rid of them as Themas are far better cars.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 15 November, 2007, 12:32:02 AM »

Did you have them from new? if not when.
I wrote a comprehensive reply to this but as I finished it my broadband connection crashed so I shall do it all again tomorrow Sad

Brian Hilton
Dedra Adviser

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Harvey
« Reply #26 on: 15 November, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »

You must have had unlucky experiences. Mine has proved faultless over three years of ownership - always started first time (except when the battery was flat!)

I agree that the Turbo is under-geared overall, but since we're restricted to 70mph, the gearing is great for always being near the top of the power band at legal speeds. I loved getting to a stretch of dual-carriageway and watching all the Audis and BMWs behind me jump to the outside lane in the expectation of overtaking me, and then fade into the distance behind me. (Please note this says more about the typical Audi/BMW driver than it does about my driving style... Wink)

Thirsty? Yes, if you hoof it everywhere. I'm sure I saw 5 mpg on track days, but I averaged 30mpg to Turin at high-end motorway speeds all the way, and have achieved c. 35mpg from sedate driving.

As for rust, yes the Dedra's weak spot is the trailing edge of the rear wheel arch, but every car has a weak spot after all. I've got a bubble on one wheel arch, which isn't bad for a car built fifteen years ago. It's not been garaged for much of its life, either.

Finally, "built down to a price"? There are a lot of touches on the Dedra that are still missing from modern cars - illuminated stalks on the steering column, and a light around the ignition keyhole which stays lit after you've got in, as examples. The only concession to cost that I can see is the pseudo-climate control - all the advantages of full climate control but without a compressor to cool the air! I cried "Cheapskates!" when nearing Turin and the climate got a bit sticky.

I've had a fab three years with mine, and I'm sure the next owner will have a similarly rewarding experience.  Smiley

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 16 November, 2007, 01:39:24 AM »

Sorry, I can't agree with this.
We've owned two Dedras, & they were both truly horrible cars. Built down to a price, thirsty, undergeared and talk about rust at the rear wheelarches/cills!
Perhaps the later ones with 16v engines that were available on the Continent were slightly better than the awful 8v but by then it was too late in the UK. Not too much of a surprise then that RHD production ceased shortly after.
Glad to get rid of them as Themas are far better cars.

Sorry but as Dedra Adviser I can't let such scurrilous comments pass unaswered.

I've owned 5 x 2.oie's over the past 15 years & I certainly don't recognise your disparaging comments as being typical to the Dedra's I've owned, & known over that period of time.
2 of them were Auto's which as far as fuel consumption is concerned,was pretty dire, due mainly to the poor choice of ratios in the Volkswagen electronically controlled gearbox.
All my Dedras were purchased used, usually with 50,000+ miles on the clock, and in my hands covered on average an additional 60-70,000 miles each before being sold on, which then covered even more miles, mainly with very little problems.
The rust you write about on the cills is usually where the lip meets the underbody, (I've never seen a Dedra that has had to have new cills) this is caused by the gravel blasting back from the front wheels & literally blasting the protection away, this is easily cured with a once a year re-treatment using Waxoyl underseal, end of problem, however like all cars if you neglect them they rust, irrespective if they have Galvanised  body panels or otherwise; you could have course fitted the front mudflaps which would have stopped the gravel rash but as the mudflaps were a pain, & always catching on the road when cornering, I preferred the waxoyl treatment route.

Certainly the 2.0 non turbo cars were never undergeared, with nearly 90 being available in 3rd gear with the engine happy to rev to the red line at 6250 rpm.

Built "Down to a price"? Dedra's weren't exactly cheap and were classed as a middle executive car, which is where a lot of the UK cars went, in fact all my 5 were ex company/lease cars with excellent service records & were never a money pit.
The ones that I've come across with problems have invariably not been serviced or maintained correctly; one thing you certainly can't do with a Dedra is skimp on servicing, it will just come back and bite you.
Equipment & trim levels on Dedra are excellent & the Alcantara trim is exceedingly hard wearing if looked after.
I don't understand your comments about the "awful 8v Engine" the Lampridi designed 8v twin OHC Counter balancer shaft engine is an exceptional engine with great performance & a wonderful engine note when extended. However, once again servicing is all, the Lancia Recommended cambelt change interval of 60,000 miles is too high & I always recommend no more than 36,000 miles before changing, I've never broken a cambelt on a Dedra;  quite often when a cambelt has broken & wrecked the head & valves it's because the tensioner bearings haven't been changed, which have then collapsed leading to the counterbalancer belt coming off & taking the cambelt with it.

Having had 2 x3 series 3 Themas I would say that the 16v engine is more fragile than the Dedra 8v.
I loved my Thema's as well as the Dedra's, & have covered very many miles on the motorways of France Germany & Italy in the Themas at high average speeds & in great comfort, however, it the general cut & thrust of modern traffic & for cross country, I'll take the Dedra any day.

Rust has never been a great problem with Dedra, & the rust above the rear wheels is probably the weakest point, but even that didn't usually show in under the first ten years, & if the wheelarches were cleaned & the mud not allowed to collect there,it wasn't a problem.
Rust in the boot which is a killer is usually due to the drain hoses for the sunshine roof being displaced, & letting the water into the boot instead of draining out underneath. 
In fact to sum up, Dedra was probably the most reliable Lancia around
for many years with very few faults, & doesn't have the usual "Italian electrics".

Production of RHD ceased in the UK not because it was a bad car but because of poor support by Lancia & the Concessionaires & some Dealers, it was also marketed incorrectly being pitched at BMW 3 series, although the BMW was better built, it  wasn't as good as Dedra dynamically, the Dedra being a better drivers car than the BMW.
It was also a pity that we never got the 1994 facelift or the SW, if we had, things would have been different.
To sum up, it certainly wasn't as bad a car as you imply as it carried on until 1999 with 417,976 produced 1989- 1999, in comparison to a total Thema build of 357,276 1984- 1994. both ran for a ten year period. (Build figures with Thanks to "La Lancia")

Brian Hilton
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #28 on: 16 November, 2007, 07:57:49 AM »

We still see Dedras regularly on the roads here in Belgium although they are probably ex company cars on 3rd and 4th owners by now.Lets not forget my English friends that your living in a time warp and even the Dedra's successor, the Lybra that never warrants a mention on this forum has also come and gone in the meantime..

Basically Dedra's are now old cars and have mostly clocked up a fair mileage.Old cars go wrong and if you buy one at 3 years when the warranty had just run out (when most cars change owner) then there is always a chance you end up with some big bills during ownership.If you don't you have to consider yourself fortunate.

Incidentally,the Lybra was a reasonably popular model as lancias go, and was actually a common sight as company car here, although never in the big league such as Passats and the rest.A slightly different market means that just about everybody here drives a diesel and given the Lybra could be had with a 1.9 or even a 2.4 jtd it could be a respectable performer.Our kappa estate was a much bigger car with the same engine and went very well indeed. Are there many Lybra's made it over to the uk?

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »

Beam me up Scotty Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd