Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:23:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyres for Cromodora Wheels  (Read 19831 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 20 July, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »

I have a set of Cromodora wheels which I am considering having re-finished and then putting on my recently acquired Series 2 Fulvia Coupe.  The Cromodoras are 14" by 5.5". On my Fulvia I currently have the standard steel wheels with Michelin XAS tyres. The tyres are in excellent, almost as-new condition.  The sidewalls state 165 HR14 Radial.  My question is: can these Michelin XAS tyres be fitted to the Cromodoras?  I would appreciate any help and/or pointers from forum members.
Cheers, Norman Thomas

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »

Maybe Longstone tyres might be able to answer your query?

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/lancia-fulvia

P

Frank Gallagher
roddy

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2015, 09:15:51 AM »

Hello Norman.  These Flavia 2000 Cromodora wheels make an excellent fit on the Fulvia and accept the original 165/80x14 tyres.  The offset of the 5.5" wheel is very similar to that of the steel wheel, unlike the offset of the 6" HF Cromodora wheel, which widens the track considerably and spoils the steering geometry (unless used with the HF wishbones).  Remember, Series 1 cars were fitted with a 145 section tyre on the 4.5" steel wheel, whereas the Series 2 cars have a 165 tyre but still on the 4.5" wheel, so the sidewall can roll and flex a bit, and tyre pressures are quite critical.  Using the 5.5" Cromodora, reinstates the original concept of tyre size to rim width.  Sadly, tyre rubber can degrade and become hard with age, so the governing factor to using your existing tyres is, how old are they?   I happily use 165/80x14 H rating Vredestein Classic Sprint and am very pleased with them.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »

There are many tyre calculators on the internet, such as this one: http://www.alloywheels.com/tyre_calculator, you can check the size tyre is suitable for wider Cromadoras, this one states the 165/80x 14 tyre will fit up 6x14 wheel, 2000HF wheels are 5.5x 14, therefore they will fit without an issue, with inner tubes too.

I had fitted 185/70 Michelins on 5.5x14 Cromadoras and found then too wide and it ruined the handling of the S2 car, looked nice, this was the 1980s, 175/70 might be a compromise as the gearing is only slightly altered.  Roddy raises a good point regarding the age of tyres you might find some tyre fitter wont swap the tyres over if they are over 5 years old as the rubber does degrade and go hard which is not good for the handling.  I have fitted Falken Sinceras to my steel wheels at present which seem to give a good ride and good grip, they seem quieter than the old Michelin XZs of the past, (may be they had aged).

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2015, 11:43:21 PM »

Hello Norman.  These Flavia 2000 Cromodora wheels make an excellent fit on the Fulvia and accept the original 165/80x14 tyres.  The offset of the 5.5" wheel is very similar to that of the steel wheel, unlike the offset of the 6" HF Cromodora wheel, which widens the track considerably and spoils the steering geometry (unless used with the HF wishbones).  Remember, Series 1 cars were fitted with a 145 section tyre on the 4.5" steel wheel, whereas the Series 2 cars have a 165 tyre but still on the 4.5" wheel, so the sidewall can roll and flex a bit, and tyre pressures are quite critical.  Using the 5.5" Cromodora, reinstates the original concept of tyre size to rim width.  Sadly, tyre rubber can degrade and become hard with age, so the governing factor to using your existing tyres is, how old are they?   I happily use 165/80x14 H rating Vredestein Classic Sprint and am very pleased with them.

Regards - Roddy

I've just fitted new Dunlop Street Response 165 x 70 x 14's on "Fay" as they have a similar rolling diameter as the 155 x 80 x 14 originals, but I'm pretty sure the 80's are available, these replaced the Dunlop SP Sports that were fitted, but no longer available, at about £54 per corner fitted.
"Fay" handles beautifully on them so I have no complaints, while I would have like to fit the correct Michelin X's I was quoted something like £450 for a set of 4, sorry but no contest.

brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2015, 10:20:12 PM »

Thank you Frank, Roddy, Neil and Brian for your helpful pointers.   Fortunately, the Michelin XAS tyres that I have were fitted by the car's last owner and are quite new, so swapping them over should not be a problem.  As follow-on questions, will the wheel bolts fitted to the standard Fulvia steel wheels fit the 5.5" Cromodoras, and if not, can anybody provide a spec and suggest a source for appropriate bolts?  Also, do the standard centre caps fit the Cromodoras?
Cheers, Norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
roddy

« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:02:27 PM »

Hello Norm

The original bolts affixing the steel wheels are long enough (just) to fit the Cromodora wheels.  Put a little copper grease on the threads and curved seat of the bolts and torque up to 70ft/lbs.  Wheel centres are different and not interchangeable.  The steel wheel ones have a single nut centre fixing through the steel plate (with a large rubber 'washer').  This steel plate is an interference fit into the steel wheel - needs to be knocked out to allow a tyre fitter to remove/fit/balance steel wheels.  The Cromodora wheel centre cap has a two pin fixing with small nuts/washers. Re-manufactured centres are available.  Originals were made from mazak and will pit and corrode very badly.  Do not be tempted to use the wheels without a centre cap as it leave the wheel bearing exposed to the ingress of water, which is never a good thing.  Bearings are considerable greater cost than a wheel centre.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
RobD
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 29 July, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »

I've just fitted a set of Dunlop SP Sport 01 to my car [which has 5.5 inch Cromodoras ]. They're very quiet on the road, seem to give ample grip but most of all they've lightened up the steering considerably - to the point where I no longer wince at the stresses being put through the steering box when parking the car.   This is a major bonus because I can now let my missus drive the car [under strict supervision of course] which means she can now be a designated driver, a duty she has sneakily avoided when we've used the Fulvia for the purposes of libation.

You're all entitled to my opinion.
'75 Fulvia 1.3S
'68 works Laverda 125cc ISDT
KTM 640 Adventure
Yamaha TDM 900
Numerous Gas Gas trail bikes...
www.adventureride.co.uk
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »

That's exactly the same experience I had when I fitted Dunlops to mine. Felt like it had power steering lining it up and backing into the garage. Didn't have to have a minutes rest before I got out. I'm a Dunlop convert.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
RobD
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »

Hi Stanley,
Prior to fitting the Dunlops,the steering on my Fulvia was extremely heavy at parking speeds. Initially I put this down to years of driving cars with power steering had made me go soft. But the more I drove it the more I thought surely customers in the 1970s couldn't possibly have put up with this sort of thing.
Now I've got the Dunlops  my perceptions have been realised. The Fulvia simply doesn't need power steering, with suitable tyres the steering is absolutely perfect. At £55 each the Dunlops were also surprisingly cheap.
I've resolved a number of minor but irritating issues on the Fulvia recently but the steering improvement is an unexpected bonus. I only changed the tyres because the previous ones were 80 profile and occasionally fouled the wheel arch.

You're all entitled to my opinion.
'75 Fulvia 1.3S
'68 works Laverda 125cc ISDT
KTM 640 Adventure
Yamaha TDM 900
Numerous Gas Gas trail bikes...
www.adventureride.co.uk
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 29 July, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »

What exact size tyre did you fit?

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 29 July, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »

I have what Tim Heath calls 'hooligan' tyres. When I bought it years ago they were even wider and I 'reduced' them to 185's on HF alloys it already had fitted. You were probably asking Rob the size of his but it's interesting that I had the same experience even with 185's. I literally pulled out of the fitters and thought 'That felt light'. I put it down to imagination until I reached the next roundabout and it was transformed. Then when I parked it in the garage it was a revelation, so easy. I later found Tim has narrower Dunlops on his HF so will consider that next time.

John B
Lapsed

« Reply #12 on: 29 July, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »

Heavy steering seems to be a common problem doesn't it.......same problem with my Appia.
Initially put it down to the fact I had not driven a car without power steering for about 20 years - then I discovered I had
165's all round (Uniroyal) instead of the correct 155's, just changed to TOYO 155's.....amazing difference.
Don't know if it's down to having narrower tyres or just a different make.....probably the former.

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 29 July, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »

In my case it seemed to be the make. I had the same size fitted before but they were Yokohamas. The Dunlops transformed it. I'm sure narrower next time would help also.

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 29 July, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »

In my case it seemed to be the make. I had the same size fitted before but they were Yokohamas. The Dunlops transformed it. I'm sure narrower next time would help also.
hooligan!!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator