Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:45:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 'other' rhd UK registered Fulvia GTE is for sale again....with no reserve.  (Read 11133 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »

When there's a whole load of people with last minute devices they get beaten by the early bidder who bid like they really wanted it.  That's my theory anyway.

David Laver, Lewisham.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »

And then you get some of us who really want something, place a serious upper limit/bid and then the  seller is contacted by someone outside the auction and they then cancel your bid .....

Very frustrating !

eBay is good, but it is flawed

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »

Winning bid of £3100 by someone with very limited ebay activity.....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #18 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:57:50 AM »

So what happens when more than one bidder has a "last minute device"?

I use Auction Sniper and have done for quite a number of years, the beauty is because no one knows your interested the bidding doesn't get pushed up as you're only watching in the background, and only in the last few seconds does it enter your bid, up to your maximum set figure if necessary.
Who wins if there's more than one automatic bidder at the end? I suspect whoever's system reacts the quickest to place the bid.
As they say, 'Some you win-Some you lose'
It will be interesting to see what it sells for and if there are any late bidders.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:37:38 AM »

The winning bid came 2 mins before the end of the auction and looking at the final 5 bids, 4 of them were from the same person (who was the winner). I presume therefore that there was no 'ebay software' involved here as the winner was just trying manually to beat the 'other' bidders maximum bid.
However, in the light of the earlier posts  what has become obvious only now  is that ebay software can be useful as I realise that over the years I have missed a couple of desirable items at the very last minute.
I do hope this car ends up in the LMC.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #20 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »

The only way to win ebay items is to ‘snipe’, you set your upper limit and bid 3 seconds before the end. That way you can never pay more than you really wanted plus you keep the price low by not creating an early bidding war. Yes you can end up missing items and thinking if only I paid more, but you should be sensible with your predefine upper limit. 

I have been doing this for 17years or more, now days I tend to do it by hand as I don’t buy that much, plus most items I want tend to have a finishing time of Sunday evening.

Another tip for ebayers, if selling make sure the finishing time is mid-evening 8.00ish and not on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.   

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »

I still like my "bid once and bid seriously" method.  Those four bids from the same seller could have been ebay going back in response to other bids.

Just to be clear if its at £10 and I bid £250 (for example) ebay will take it to £11 and there it sits until someone else comes along. 

My risk is that someone else "has a go" and takes it up to £20 or £30 and I've "paid too much" when it might have been a £10 steal.  That's a risk I'm willing to take rather than my sniper being slower than your sniper and missing out on it at £185 when I'd have happily taken it higher.  In that situation Ebay always has the last bid and ebay would have done it on my behalf at £186.

The assumption is that serious bidding these days is all in the last few minutes...  It wasn't always so.  Once upon a time I'd use a sniper but I just don't think it worth the effort or risk anymore.  I also enjoy the discipline of thinking just the once, and really properly, "do I really want this item, if so at what price".  Its all too easy to become an addict and bid on "bargains" you don't really want or need, or to keep bidding a little more and a little more "in the heat of battle" and to have regrets.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #22 on: 11 March, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »

To answer Brian’s and David’s question regarding who’s sniper is the fastest. It not about speed it’s about maximum price, so the winner is the person who put the highest bid in. However if 3 people snipe with the same price during the last minute, then the first person will win as the other subsequence sniper bids will not be allowed as you have to bid higher.

Yes David if an item is at £10 and you bid £250 (for example) ebay will take it to £11 and there it sits until someone else comes along, and bids more. For example someone then bids £15, the item will go to £16 with you being the highest bidder.

The beauty of sniping is that is prevents bidding wars, thus keeps the final price low.

The last ebay tip of the day and you see this a lot, if you see something with no reserve you quite like but don’t really need. Just place a £1 to £5 starting bid and walk any, as sometimes items can fall through the bidding net, and no-one bids. Then you got yourself a bargain. A lot of professional Ebayers (yes they do exist) do this to buy stock to sell on later.

Anyone new to ebay always look at the postage costs as sellers tend to use this as a reserve price, as you have to pay extra for a reserve when placing adverts.

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »

To answer Brian’s and David’s question regarding who’s sniper is the fastest. It not about speed it’s about maximum price, so the winner is the person who put the highest bid in. However if 3 people snipe with the same price during the last minute, then the first person will win as the other subsequence sniper bids will not be allowed as you have to bid higher.

Yes David if an item is at £10 and you bid £250 (for example) ebay will take it to £11 and there it sits until someone else comes along, and bids more. For example someone then bids £15, the item will go to £16 with you being the highest bidder.

The beauty of sniping is that is prevents bidding wars, thus keeps the final price low.

The last ebay tip of the day and you see this a lot, if you see something with no reserve you quite like but don’t really need. Just place a £1 to £5 starting bid and walk any, as sometimes items can fall through the bidding net, and no-one bids. Then you got yourself a bargain. A lot of professional Ebayers (yes they do exist) do this to buy stock to sell on later.

Anyone new to ebay always look at the postage costs as sellers tend to use this as a reserve price, as you have to pay extra for a reserve when placing adverts.

I never put in my maximum bid as a whole multiples of a £, on an item that I think may go for £10, I'll put in a bid for say £10.11, which  will often make the difference between winning or losing an item.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 12 March, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »

That's a good last point from Brian.

However I have put many a silly bid on to see if anyone else is interested and have ended up with all sorts of junk that way! Late nights after a bit of beer are fatal.

If I win something I always go through with the purchase. I once did a 100 mile round trip for a "collect only" old computer. It was ancient, weighed a ton, had been stored in a leaking shed...but have I learned my lesson? I doubt it.

Frank
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 12 March, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »

I'm always gonna bid 12p from now on Wink

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 12 March, 2015, 04:25:30 PM »

Frank - I'm sure we've all been there...

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »

Frank - I'm sure we've all been there...
Some of us still are (there)!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator