Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
23 April, 2024, 08:27:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B21S flasher control box location? Help please.  (Read 2416 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« on: 30 September, 2022, 11:53:09 AM »

Slowly but surely I am getting round to bringing my B21S project car back to life.
At some stage in its life ( probably at the end of the 1950s when the laws changed in Italy) the indicators were modified to dispense with the complex Carello electro-magnetic crossover control box and the original oval red rear lights.
Taller more conventional Alfa SZ rear lights were fitted incorporated using separate rear orange indicator lights together with simplified wiring and a modern flasher.
I am not obsessed with originality but I happen to really like the original red rear lights as fitted to B10, B21 and B20 S1 & 2.......but to use these without external rear flashers means going back to using the original Carello box.
The wiring mods which had been done to my car in the engine bay, behind the dashboard and at the rear of the car used a lot of insulating tape but dont appear to have led to the total removal of any of the loom (which is a good thing) but along the way most of the identifying numbers have disappeared and a lot of the insulation is a mess. And the original indicator switch is missing.
Before I start any surgery on my loom I need to establish the original location of the Carello box hence this post.
On RHD cars it always seems to sit to the LH side of the fusebox up under the RH wing but on my LH drive car I cant find any locating holes which work. I 'think' the Carello box will still sit to the LH side of the fusebox adjacent to the coil because there is some old unused wiring there but there are no existing holes.
Can anyone possibly show the location of their Carello box on a LH drive car? LH drive early Aurelias were fairly uncommon then of course but any help will be greatly appreciated.
I am also missing the (non electro-magnetc) dashboard mounted lever switch if anyone has one?
Chris

* Fusebox.jpg (340.1 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 71 times.)

* Crossover control box.jpg (253.67 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 67 times.)

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »

All my engine pics are of RHD B12s. My car pics aren't of the right area, these are pics of an LHD engine bay, will send by email as phone doesn't want to cooperate!

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »

Sent by text, not same box! Will trawl pics again

P

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2022, 08:01:03 AM »

Thanks Frank,
I feel somewhat foolish at not being able to find the original mounting holes so I will have another look today.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2022, 08:37:54 AM »

Chris,
I shall send picture of Carello flasher box installation on my B12S on Monday.
Might help....although later car.
Sébastien
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2022, 04:55:18 PM »

Thank you Sebastien, I would be very interested to see your photo.
 However I believe I may now have solved my problem - one of the 4mm mounting holes was covered with mastic close to the coil whilst the other looks as if it has been opened up to about 20mm for the modified indicator wiring.
I am still looking for an indicator switch.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2022, 07:26:41 PM »

Chris,
After posting on Saturday I had a premonition I would not find a flasher box on my B12.....

...And the premonition was true, of course! With the later Italian regulations, and also the fitted separate (from stop lights) Carello flashers to go with them, there is no need for a flasher control box anymore!

But I presume you have now found the mounting points on your B21S for that marvelous contraption!

* Flasher box - 1.jpg (434.21 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 72 times.)
« Last Edit: 03 October, 2022, 07:28:47 PM by Sebastien » Logged
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2022, 07:41:46 AM »

Thank you Sebastien. Yes thank you, I have discovered the correct position for mounting the box.
The wiring for this Carello control box on my B21S is in a bit of a mess both in the engine bay and also under the dashboard although its all still there.
However in too many points the original wire insulation ( which is paper and a sort of brittle coating - all pre-PVC) has been bent and then it cracks so I have nearly decided to strip the wiring totally out of the car and rewire using a new 1st Series B20 loom I had made a few years ago. That of course was for a RHD car with a shorter floorpan but the lighting, engine bay (apart from the LHD/RHD dynamo & starter needing to be lengthened or shortened )  connections and dashboard instruments/switches  are all the same.
As an aside, there obviously arent very many LHD early Aurelia saloons in existence these days - I have been unable to think of any others that I am aware of.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2022, 04:58:35 AM »

There is half a LHD B21 still here in the basement...the pickup!  Another one I should make make my mind on....
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2022, 05:54:38 PM »

I should have said that  the new B20 S1 loom has cables in it for the front spotlights and switch but these can easily be removed before installation. Its a nice loom with black fabric covered cables so should not just be electrically safe but also attractive to the eye. The car itself seems to be coming out quite well being very sound and straight in the first place so this should help.
Funnily enough Robert Coucher writes enthusiastically about the increase in popularity of old saloons (as opposed to sports cars) in this months Octane
Chris

Chris Gawne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd