Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appi new year  (Read 6189 times)
John B
Lapsed

« on: 02 January, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »

Just removed my front seat and sub frame to get re-upholstered and took the opportunity to inspect the floor underneath.
The 2 centre cross members on the passenger side (LHD car) have rusted through where they were welded to the floor.
Looking underneath the car there is no sign of this because the original 1/4" thick underseal is still very much intact.......and extremely difficult to remove.
The front cross member has only rusted from the floor upwards so not a big problem. The rear one appears to have rusted
from the inside of the car spreading into and through the floor.

Not the ideal start to the new year.  Angry  Sad  Cry

* Appia floor centre members (1).JPG (425.24 KB, 1127x845 - viewed 419 times.)

* Appia floor centre members (1a).JPG (400.02 KB, 1101x826 - viewed 428 times.)

* Appia floor front centre (1b).JPG (393.45 KB, 1127x845 - viewed 430 times.)

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »

Not so dissimilar to my own or indeed others, didn't look too bad until underseal taken off, at least its an unmolested example!

P
« Last Edit: 02 January, 2015, 08:51:24 PM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »

To my mind its ALWAYS best to know the real state of it, then when fixed you'll have genuine peace of mind.

David Laver, Lewisham.
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »

To my mind its ALWAYS best to know the real state of it, then when fixed you'll have genuine peace of mind.

Very true......just a bit disappointed it didn't show up when I bought it, could have haggled a bit more!
Glad however that I've found it now, if the seat didn't need removing and repairing it could have gone un-noticed for years
by which time it would have been a lot worse.

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »

Very true......just a bit disappointed it didn't show up when I bought it, could have haggled a bit more!
Glad however that I've found it now, if the seat didn't need removing and repairing it could have gone un-noticed for years
by which time it would have been a lot worse.

Mine came seatless so I'd a good inkling!

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »

I had this with our MG Midget last Christmas.  Put it back on the road after a five year layoff.  A few minor bits on the MOT.  Went back for a handbrake cable, out came the seats with chunks of floor.  Looked A1 from under with clean and fresh looking underseal.  Was able to punch a slot infront of the driver's seat with my fingers from above.

The news to me was that MOTs are a lot more gentle than they used to be.  If it looks fine and is firm to the touch then that's as far as the inspection goes.  It needs to look bad for them to get the probe out and have a scratch and a prod.  The tester said some place got sued for doing damage to a car and the direction now is not to prod and bang.

It then had an "old skool" inspection which showed up another couple of small areas, and those and the two floors have been on my "when I get a chance" list for all of 2014.  Will it be another five years?

David Laver, Lewisham.
John B
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »

"The news to me was that MOTs are a lot more gentle than they used to be."

The Italian MOT (Revisione) is nothing more than a formality, if they fail the car they know you will just take it somewhere else and not go back to them again. It's only required every 2 years and every time I have taken my cars the ONLY check was to put it on a rolling road and test the brakes.....they don't have any facilities to raise the car and the emissions equipment and headlight alignment equipment remain unused.
A friend of mine, after her cars Revisione,  was told not to drive too fast because the back brakes were not very good and the rear shocks needed changing......but it passed anyway.

1961 Appia S3
1969 Fiat 850 Special
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »

I think I'd almost be disappointed if the Italian MOT was any other way. It's like when Ferrari became efficient under Brawn and Schumacher - didn't seem right without comedy pitstops..

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »

I was so relieved when they got the "next championship" after Jody Scheckter's.  1979 to 2000 was a long wait.  1975 and 1977 were the ones before with Lauda.  Was it really 1964 before that?   I was 8 in 1975 and got used to a Ferrari champion every other year.

1977 age 10 the Stratos won the championship.  I was 20 by the time it all came together again.

This was interesting.  I'd forgotten the 1983 win as a team and 1978 when Markku Alen did it in both a Stratos and 131.

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/wrc_statistics.html

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2015, 07:22:13 AM »

Much to the disappointment of our Appia friends, the Italian MOT will be a lot more stringent from April 2015, Happy New Year, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd