Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:06:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Augusta Story  (Read 85498 times)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #75 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »

I am sure that I have seen some of the serrated nuts/bushes on other Lancias - but I can't remember where  !!

Nice job getting the bushes cut like that !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #76 on: 10 April, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »

I have continued work on the Gussie despite there not being any recent updates.

In the course of the recent work I have found an unusual use for a Gussie .... caging a welder!!!!

More serious reports should be posted in the next couple of weeks!!!!

Andy

* Jim caged.jpg (337.16 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 393 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #77 on: 15 April, 2016, 07:59:47 AM »

Some progress to report at last ......

The shell is now completed and ready to go to the paint shop. The interior and underside have a brushed finish and are in black in the accompanying photograph. The areas to be sprayed are in red oxide primer, solely for protection and this will be removed prior to spraying. The wings, doors, bootlid and running boards are in a similar state, whilst the bonnet, alloy, is bare metal. So it is now just a matter of sending it on its way ...... oh, also finding the money!!!!!

Not many words to describe a huge amount of work and effort, but well worth it!!

Andy

* Gussie on rotisserie in primer, rear.jpg (330.8 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 418 times.)

* Gussie on rotisserie in primer, front.jpg (324.94 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 406 times.)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #78 on: 15 April, 2016, 01:25:18 PM »

An excellent milestone, and so correct - a few words to describe such a lot

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #79 on: 17 April, 2016, 06:21:21 AM »

Progress indeed Andy, well done! From my experience the return of a freshly painted body shell is a huge encouragement. But it ain't cheap these days.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #80 on: 20 April, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »

Jim and I have applied more paint to the non shell elements, doors, bootlid, wing and runningboards. We now hope that there is no area left untouched and not covered with a generous amount of protective paint!!!!

After all that has been done, well, what next??? Time to address all the numerous 'bits and pieces' that inevitably need derusting/degreasing/cleaning before they can be painted and installed back on the car.
Added to that is the need to get the shell back on its axles and off the rotisserie. Sounds easy, but there is the need to check and in this case, replace the rear wheel bearings and associated oil seals. Again, sounds easy, that is until the existing assemblies are stripped and checked!! I drew the half shafts and found one to be dirty and worn whilst the other appeared to be a relatively recent replacement. There is little to wear on the half shafts apart from the part where the oil seal bears. True to form, the 'new' half shaft showed no sign of wear, whereas the 'old' shaft displayed considerable wear to the oil seal collar. This interference fit collar appears to be an integral part of the shaft but may be removed and replaced where necessary.  So, the wear, greater than 1mm, is apparent in the attached photograph of the collar as removed. I will have a new collar turned up, probably without the oil spinner turnings as the presence of a modern lip seal will render them redundant. The new collar will be fixed in place with Loctite. I must acknowledge the previous work done by Dale Hicks in respect of this modification.

Andy

* Gussie brake and clutch pedal assemblies.jpg (302.19 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 355 times.)

* Gussie half shaft oil seal collar.jpg (308.55 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 373 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #81 on: 05 May, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »

'Bits and pieces' ........ well so far this has included the bootlid catch, a beautiful bit of over-engineering, the hand-brake cable pulley, a fusebox lid and, today, the trims on the inside faces of the A posts. There are photographs of first two of these.

Andy

* Handbrake cable pulley.jpg (332.99 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 360 times.)

* Gussie bootld catch (unclean!).jpg (388.76 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 377 times.)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #82 on: 11 May, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »

It is possible to get sleeves to fit over worn shafts to restore for lip oil seals.   Try your local bearings shop.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #83 on: 11 May, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »

Thank you David, that is something of which I was not aware ..... too late for the Gussie but that tip may well (read probably!) be useful in the future with one of my other efforts!!!!

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #84 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »

The bits and pieces keep coming .... now its the gear lever. The knob was SO tight and I did not want to damage it by putting it in the vice. I am pleased to say it eventually succumbed! Note the jubilee clip around the cowl that is situated at the base of the lever. This is necessary as the threads for the locating pins have been stripped.

I am advised that both the gear lever and handbrake  should be nickel plated .... mine have been painted, badly. Another task to be addressed soon.

Andy

* Gussie gear lever dismantled.jpg (622.65 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 381 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #85 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »

Time for the steering column and the steering box .....

I managed to break a piece off the steering box while dismantling it, I as not best pleased!!!! It will be re-attached, it's just that I am not yet sure quite how!!! Fortunately this has no impact on the function of the steering box, but it really does look awful!!! Anyway, out with angle grinder and electric drills with an assortment of wire brushes and everything is looking a lot better ... especially after a couple of coats of satin black!!! There seems to be no play in the mechanism so this is a clean and paint operation except for the oil seal on the output shaft. This has been weeping and I hope to find a modern lip seal to replace the original felt and tapered washer arrangement. It's all in the photographs!!

Andy

* Gussie steering column and steering box.jpg (432.93 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 367 times.)

* Gussie steering box output shaft showing oil seal and spring.jpg (435.74 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 380 times.)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #86 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:03:27 AM »

The gear lever locking system is similar to Aprilia

What is the pipe coming off the base of the steering box ?

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #87 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

Chromium plating came in about 1929 - my VIIth Lambda - 1928 is nickel but the VIIIth - 1930 is chromed.     I wonder what is under the paint?   Whatever, insist on a good layer of copper first as both nickel and chrome are porous and you are restoring for the next 80 years.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #88 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »

Augusta gear levers are normally chrome plated, as is the collar which hold it in place. The "pipe" coming out of the steering box is the electrical cable for the horn.
Regards, John
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #89 on: 11 June, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »

Chromium plating came in about 1929 - my VIIth Lambda - 1928 is nickel but the VIIIth - 1930 is chromed.     I wonder what is under the paint?   Whatever, insist on a good layer of copper first as both nickel and chrome are porous and you are restoring for the next 80 years.

'...... and you are restoring for the next 80 years.' No pressure here then David!!!!

I am of a mind that I will not be available to check the quality of the restoration in another 80 years!! If I am it will be a miracle and, to be honest, I am sure I won't give a damn. In fact, judging by the way things are going at the moment, I will not remember ever having done a restoration!!!!

Andy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd