Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:43:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Augusta Story  (Read 85466 times)
appiaman

« Reply #60 on: 19 August, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »

Hi Andy I stripped mine and had them sandblasted  but my ones are so worn I might get some new made let me now if interested . Maybe we can get a discount for a few sets
Christo

Lancia lambda 8th series, Fulvia 1600 sport (1972)Fulvia1.6hf (1972), Lancia Flaminia gtl, Porsche boxter, Mini Cooper
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #61 on: 21 August, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »

Hi Andy I stripped mine and had them sandblasted  but my ones are so worn I might get some new made let me now if interested . Maybe we can get a discount for a few sets
Christo

Thank you for getting all the photographs posted, some bits look familiar, the same problem areas. I am jealous to see that you have what appears to be a serviceable bootlid!! That will save you a tidy sum!!!
I have jut finished stripping my leaf springs and  they appear to be quite sound with what I consider to be insignificant wear, so I will pass on offer of new springs.

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #62 on: 23 August, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »

What I failed to mention in my previous post is that when I dismantled the second of the two springs I committed the cardinal sin ............ I was not concentrating and I failed to restrain the spring as I undid the central bolt!!! There was an almighty bang, orange dust everywhere and spring leaves leaping everywhere. I was lucky, I got my knuckles rapped, literally and metaphorically and no more.  Somewhat painful, but no real damage!!! I hope I have learnt my lesson.

Anyway, all the leaves are cleaned of paint, rust and crud and most are now in primer, so I'm getting on.

I have been thinking about the reassembly, particularly silentbloc bushes. The rear end of the springs pivot on a pair of double needle roller bearings that are no longer available, so I will use silentblocs ..... this is a common way out of the problem. Then we come to the front end. A standard size silentbloc is used, but and it's a big but, the way Lancia designed the bush housing it is not possible to clamp the ends of the inner steel sleeve, to prevent it from rotating, by tightening the through bolt. Thus it is possible that the rotation will occur about the through bolt rather than, as it is designed to do, through distortion in the rubber annulus. To get over this problem the inner steel sleeve of the silenbloc is serrated on one end and locks with a similarly serrated steel bush (part 31-5740 on TAV 16) which in turn locks onto the silentbloc housing. I am having 2 silentblocks modified with the serrations at a local machine shop. Price to be advised when the work is done. I will post the price and comment on the work when I get the bushes back in a week or two. It may be that other Gussie owners will want to consider this. In the attached photograph the serrated bushes should be, of course, reversed.

Andy

* IMG_3141Gussie spring front pivot bolt and serrated bush.JPG (404.38 KB, 1280x956 - viewed 399 times.)
appiaman

« Reply #63 on: 24 August, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »

Hi Andy,

All those bushes are available  from cavallito they are 25 euro each part number 34-5738 for the roller side ones and I don't now the part number for the other side.
I am having new spring made £110 each
Making new bolts too as mine badly rusted .
Christo

Lancia lambda 8th series, Fulvia 1600 sport (1972)Fulvia1.6hf (1972), Lancia Flaminia gtl, Porsche boxter, Mini Cooper
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #64 on: 24 August, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »

I will be onto that tomorrow!!! Thanks Christo.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #65 on: 24 August, 2015, 09:41:53 PM »

In cleaning the leaves of the rear springs I have found numbers stamped into the top leaf on both sides.
The top right hand spring is stamped              16391

The top left hand spring is stamped                 164?6      the fourth number is illegible!

Any thoughts on this? I am assuming that the upper number is a sequential production number, but what of the lower number?

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #66 on: 07 September, 2015, 08:07:44 AM »

Just a little more on the rear springs. They are now finished and ready to go back on the car. Unfortunately there is a lot more to do on the car before it is ready to receive them!!!

The photographs show the springs part re-assembled, fully assembled and the state of the underside at the close of play yesterday. The underside has been scraped free of crap, but has to be cleaned back to bare metal. The yellow has been completed and is in primer, there is still a lot to do!! Virtually the whole of the inside needs to be cleaned back to bare metal ..... so quite a lot of work there!!!

NB in the photograph the bolts through the spring clamps are temporary, the correct ones are now in place.

Andy

* Gussie rear springs part reassembled.JPG (461.41 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 385 times.)

* Gussie rear springs completed.JPG (480.97 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 377 times.)

* Gussie's bottom 6.09.15.JPG (259.06 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 384 times.)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #67 on: 07 September, 2015, 08:21:50 AM »

Its all progress Andy, every step leads you to the next area to restore and can be ticked off the list, at the end of next year(?), you'll have so much time on your hands you be spending a fortune on petrol touring the UK, Europe in one or other of your stable of Lancias!!!!!

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #68 on: 07 September, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »

Rear door check straps ......

I thought I had damage to both rear door hinge posts where the check check straps pass through them, not uncommon with suicide doors!!! However, having cleaned off the paint it was only the RH side that needed attention. The first task was to remove the check strap ... the cables are sweated in to the ends pieces and the blow lamp made short work of the end which attaches to the door. The end of the cable, which is spread, was then cut off with the angle grinder. A short length of copper pipes acts as a duct through the door pillar and this was removed to allow the necessary welding. Jim cut out the damaged lengths of the front and rear faces of the door pillar and welded in new pieces. A new duct was made from 15mm copper pipe and fitted ready to take the check strap which will not be refitted until after the shell has been sprayed.

The photograph shows the front of the new copper duct and it is possible to make out the repair patch which is approximately 40mm square.

Andy

* IGussie RH door pillar check strap duct.JPG (306.82 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 355 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #69 on: 07 September, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »

Its all progress Andy, every step leads you to the next area to restore and can be ticked off the list, at the end of next year(?), you'll have so much time on your hands you be spending a fortune on petrol touring the UK, Europe in one or other of your stable of Lancias!!!!!

P

I have quite a bit of Gussie bottom to clean before  I get to that stage!!!!

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #70 on: 08 September, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »

An omission on my part .... I should have posted photographs of the damaged door pillars, so here they are. The RH one has suffered badly and required a full repair, whereas with the LH one, the cracking is merely around the lead filler and only the copper duct has been replaced.

Andy

* Gussie RH rear door check strap damage.JPG (324.59 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 363 times.)

* Gussie LH rear door check strap.JPG (357.29 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 373 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #71 on: 12 October, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »

Further to my post of the 23rd August I have got the modified silentbloc bushes. I have yet to fit them but the serrated clamp bush fits snugly, although there has been some deterioration in them over the 80 year life of the car. However, I am confident that it will all go together. The machining costs were £25 and that is in addition to the cost of the silentblocs, so Cavalitto's 25 euro (plus postage?) would appear to be a better bet.

Anyway, here are the photographs.

Andy

* Gussie rear spring front bush 1.JPG (293.5 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 369 times.)

* Gussie rear spring front bush 2.JPG (361.46 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 360 times.)

* Gussie rear spring front bush 3.JPG (377.87 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 349 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #72 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »

That's interesting but shows total design over kill with those serrations?

Surely the accepted practice of bolting flat surfaces together with silent blocks (at the appropriate midway tension point) should suffice???

Unless originality is the aim....

Were the bushes sourced from Robush?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #73 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »

The way  I understand silentbloc operation is that the outer steel sleeve is an interference or clamped fit which stops it rotating. The inner sleeve is normally prevented from rotating by being clamped axially by tightening the central bolt. Thus all rotation occurs within the rubber annulus between the two restrained steel sleeve. The problem with these bushes at the front of the rear cart springs used on the Gussie is that the design layout of the bush support does not allow the bush inner sleeve to be clamped when the central bolt is tightened. Thus it is necessary to physically restrain the  central sleeve in another way. Thus the serrations!!!

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #74 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:38:51 PM »

Sorry, I skipped the last two points ....

originality .... not sacrosanct, but normally I only deviate from original when safety or engineering principles dictate

yes, the bushes came from Robush.

Andy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd