Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:27:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Augusta Story  (Read 85468 times)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #45 on: 29 March, 2015, 07:56:57 PM »

More work today ....

Jim is pressing on with cutting out the rusted parts of the middle and outer skins of the left hand sill. He thinks that at last he has cut out enough rust from the bottoms of the middle and outer skins to warrant putting in new!!! The top of the outer skin, where the wing abuts the sill has, inevitably, suffered. Let's call it lacy, so that will have to be cut out and replaced. At least that is 1mm and easy to work, unlike the inner and middle skins that are thicker and harder to work. We have had a good look at the detail where the front of the cruciform meets the sill. The inner skin butts up to and is welded to the middle of the vertical diaphragm at the end of the cruciform. The central skin flies past the end of the cruciform and is welded to the end of the vertical diaphragm. The flange at the bottom of the central skin widens at this point to pick up the inner skin. This is shown in the third photograph below. The first photograph shows the first new steel going in whilst the second shows the detail at the front of the cruciform.

While Jim has been doing this I am continuing with removal of the paint on the bulkhead and petrol tank area with the hot air gun and scraper. The final finish will be with polydisc and an assortment of different size wire brushes in a drill. Also, I have drawn up and started to cut steel to make an engine stand to aid the rebuild of both the Gussie and B20 engines.

More to follow, but a few days off first.

Andy

* Gussie, left sill, first new steelphoto.JPG (476.05 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 397 times.)

* Gussie LH sill and cruciform detailphoto.JPG (593.73 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 387 times.)

* Gussie, LH sill, central skin flange and underside of sill cruciform junctionphoto.JPG (390.77 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 378 times.)
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #46 on: 30 March, 2015, 12:37:05 PM »

Having had some training and considerably experience I have to take exception to the use of the term "bodge" to describe a job done to deliberately deceive.

A bodger is a craftsman who makes articles out of green wood as opposed to seasoned wood, often working in a woodland setting. The results are necessarily less refined than the products of a carpenter or cabinet maker but tend to have a certain rustic charm.

So, if anybody want's to repair their cills with green woodwork I would be happy to "bodge" them for you..............

Name and address withheld.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #47 on: 30 March, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »

Hi Frank, David Laver is the only one I know of to use wood in the sills of a Lancia. He cheated by using seasoned par timber, not timber in the green. So, I will keep your kind offer in mind in case Jim gets stroppy and refuses to come round to play!!

Andy

PS do you have a pole lathe? They have always fascinated me.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #48 on: 30 March, 2015, 11:48:15 PM »

Hi Frank, David Laver is the only one I know of to use wood in the sills of a Lancia. He cheated by using seasoned par timber, not timber in the green. So, I will keep your kind offer in mind in case Jim gets stroppy and refuses to come round to play!!

Andy

PS do you have a pole lathe? They have always fascinated me.

I had quite a converstion with a Fulvia 2c owner in Switzerland about 10 years ago,his 2c was in a far worse condition than "Fay" and he carried out a great restoration, but when he got to the padded dash cover and the other padded parts of the dash that turn in to dust, he couldn't find any replacements, so he promptly carved them in wood, beautiful workmanship but I'd have hated to have a crash in it!

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 01 April, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »

Andy, I have used a pole lathe and had a half share in one but the other half share was taken over by wood worm. I help out on a recreation of a Tudor / Stuart period farm and my efforts these days go into buildings and roof structures though I do have the delightful prospect of possibly building a cider press.

On Brian's wooden dash top, I have often thought balsa wood might serve well and provide some impact absorption if the worst were to happen.

Frank
Kari

« Reply #50 on: 02 April, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »

Hello Andy,

With great interest I follow your reports from the restoration of your Augusta. It stirs memories from not so long ago when I went through all this.

I have taken a lot of pictures from various stages of the repairs and I you wish I can supply many detail pictures and other information.

Karl
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #51 on: 29 April, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »

Hi Karl, thank you for your kind offer, we have moved on quite well since the beginning of the month although there is still a lot to do.

The left side is done apart from the outer sill and the right side is almost complete, again apart from the outer sill. Chugga is making a batch of Gussie/Belna outer sills and we have decided to wait for those rather than make our own as there are one or two other little tasks to complete in the meantime and our efforts are best directed at them!!!!

The first photograph show the underside of the RH sill as found and the second, a repair piece let in after the corroded metal has been removed. The horrors of both sills were covered by poorly made and even more poorly welded repairs pieces just bent crudely over the original rusted sills.

Jim is playing with Humbers at the moment but we will soon be back on the Gussie. In the meantime, I am about to start in earnest on the B20 engine.

Andy

* Gussie underside RH sill no.1photo.JPG (557.64 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 385 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #52 on: 29 April, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »

I lied .... no second photograph, I will try again!

* Gussie RH sill psrt repairedphoto.JPG (440.23 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 379 times.)
Kari

« Reply #53 on: 01 May, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »

Hello Andy,

On the Augusta, it's the sills who suffer corrosion the most. I have not seen so far an Augusta who has no repairs there including mine. However the damage was slightly less, but both sills were distorted by earlier accidents. Additionally, the front was twisted by about 3 degress from a crash I had 1963. Instead of mounting the body on a "grille", I had to put the car on a temporary stand with markings on the floor to get all lined up again.

Look at the metall I have cut away, not on the picture are the 2 running boards which were not of original shape.

regards

Karl

* 100_4140.jpg (676.16 KB, 1536x2304 - viewed 397 times.)

* 100_5334.JPG (1044.46 KB, 2304x1536 - viewed 376 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #54 on: 25 May, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »

The right hand sill is now ready for the outer sill to be collected soon from Chugga. In the meantime Jim has made and welded in the new floor on the right hand side, under the driver's feet. The main panel has been quite straightforward, the time consuming part has been making and welding in the two small repair patches, one on the transmission tunnel and the other on the seat support 'box'.

I have been getting filthy trying to clean off the paint and rust from the underside, it is a really evil job, but necessary!!!! Of course the body, inside and out, also has to be cleaned back to bare metal. I wonder who will be doing that? I am trying to push on with it in the hope that I will be able to get it sprayed this summer .... we will see whether or not I hit that target in due course!!

The photograph shows the floor as at present, a little more welding et voila ...

* IMG_3558.JPG (493.11 KB, 1280x1280 - viewed 370 times.)
brian
Megaposter

« Reply #55 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »

I know exactly what you are doing and do not envy you!! I had my body shell grit blasted inside and out to expose the pinhole rust etc and the whole was phosphated (I think that is what they called it) to prevent re-rusting. I then had to wire brush all surfaces inside and out and put primer on the outside. The inside had 2 layers of Hammerite all over. I can say I know every square cm of the car. Worth it? Yes indeed as 20+years on the steel is still solid and no obvious rusty areas. Untidy admittedly - but then I did all the welding, leading, painting myself so very amateurish. Good luck - Augustas are worth it.

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #56 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:55:08 PM »

Thank you Brian, very encouraging. I am really looking forward to finishing the Gussie and the first drive.

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #57 on: 26 July, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »

Nearly nine weeks since the last post!!! As I posted in my Aurelia thread, things have been moving on.

The outer sills were collected from James on 29th June on my way back to Essex after a three day visit to  N Wales. Jim came along to start the fitting two weeks ago. The apparent simplicity of the construction is misleading. There is a swage line in the bottom of the sill the line of which varies along its length. In addition there are the running board mount bolt holes to be determined and drilled plus, unusually, the forward rear spring hanger projects through the sill but is not attached to it. Today it was all finished and is looking very good. There remains some patching to the outer lefthand sill forward of the A post and then that should be the welding completed.

The front axle needs to be checked and rebuilt. I am tempted to hand it to James for the restoration as he has all the special tools and has just finished two others!!! He knows what he is doing whereas I would be going in blind ..... not that that has ever stopped me before!!!

Then I will lift the head off to check the bores as they are thought to be suspect. If there is work required, now is the time to do it!!! The brakes must be checked as it the car has stood for so long ...... the list goes on!!!!

However, we are moving forward, just too damn slowly.

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #58 on: 28 July, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »

Too slowly?  While the destination is fantastic so is the journey.

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #59 on: 16 August, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »

You are definitely right David, the journey is fantastic ...... it is just that some bits are more fantastic than others!!!!!

Today's bits fall into the not so fantastic category!!!!

Today was, let's take one of the rear springs to bits and clean off the rust, paint and other muck!!!! Not my idea of fun, but it needs to be done. I've done the four smallest leaves of the RH spring  and am fed up with it already!!!! Still, so much fun to look forward to!!!! ... the larger leaves of the RH and the whole of the LH spring.

Andy

*  Gussie RH rear spring.JPG (517.56 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 327 times.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd