Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:57:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Think Bike  (Read 8431 times)
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« on: 05 September, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »

I know that a number of us have motorbikes. This is a chastening video which is self-explanatory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2xStb0R-c

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »

I'd seen the edited version of this the other day, and while I no longer ride bikes it seems that so many bikers these days take unnecessary risks, and have an attitude that speed limits and the rules of the road don't apply to them, but as much as I feel sorry for his family, it wasn't a case of if this accident would happen, but when.
supposedly the accident happened at 90 mph, if so his riding was suicidal, at that speed I doubt the driver of the car saw him coming, but even that doesn't excuse his failure to ensure the road was completely clear before he moved.

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »

I didn't watch it all - couldn't bear seeing what might happen but as Brian said, saw enough to know it was going to happen one day. This isn't the way a serious bike rider gets around, leaving a gap of six inches between yourself and the car you're overtaking. I'm sure we all know bike enthusiasts who have ridden safely all their lives. They anticipate, like most good drivers, that another road user might do something completely unexpected.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »

I must admit that he took off rather rapidly from the start and certainly drove in a manner which I personally would not entertain. I am and remain scared of having an accident and try my best to ride in the safest manner possible. Defensive driving is a must on our roads. I would also add that in this incident it was a car turning right across his path but it could easily have been a car turning out left onto the road which would not have been able to see the motorcyclist as he would have been obscured by the car which he was overtaking. We all make mistakes whilst driving but those mistakes are amplified by increased speed and lack of awareness. I believe that it was a brave and correct decision by the family to release the video; it is a graphic illustration of what can go wrong.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »

I watched this through in freeze frame and would agree with those who say the victim was as much at fault as the car driver. From the car driver's point of view as he approached the junction he will have checked ahead and seen a big safe gap to the oncoming car and then turned his attention to the road he was turning into. The motorcyclist had no reason to be riding at that speed, unnecessarily squeezed past far too close to the car he was following despite having the entire width of two lanes to manoeuvre in and ignored the hatching on the road to warn him of the potential hazard ahead. There would have been signposts warning of the junction too. However the car driver drove into the accident in slow motion with the bike in clear view for about five seconds which is enough thinking and reaction time to stop. That last glance up the road before pulling across the carriageway is what would have made all the difference.

My brother and my eldest son are both bikers. It matters very much to me that we car drivers think bike. Sometimes they need saving from us and sometimes they need saving from themselves but it only takes a bit of awareness to save a life.
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:50:17 PM »

That is a chilling video.

I spent many years in the London Fire Brigade and saw the consequences of this sort of accident too many times. Additionally, I came across a similar accident 2 years ago out here in the lanes around Colchester, from which the young lad didn`t survive, despite my attempts to resuscitate him along with the paramedics when they arrived.

My wife who was with me at the time was horrified at the scene, and even now thinks of it every time she hears a bike being screamed along at high speed.

I ride bikes myself so I know both sides of the coin. It is true that some ride too fast, which sadly appears to be the case here, but car drivers don`t think about bikes as we riders do. Most car drivers don`t realise the speeds at which modern bikes accelerate, and so may think that they have time to cross a junction, when they don`t.

Perhaps it`s time that more specific motorcycle awareness is included in the driving test, as defensive riding regarding motorists IS included in the bike test.

Bob

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
Zagato

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »

The Police are trying to help reduce accidents ... by offering bikers an awareness course

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

People I know who have taken the course say it is well worth doing

The only other (safer) alternative for excessive speed is Track Days ....
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2014, 06:06:18 AM »

I was pretty shocked when I watched this the other day. The two questions that came to mind were; did he have his headlight on and just how fast was he going? Certainly so fast that the black Clio seems to come from nowhere. I presume he did see it, and that should have been a massive warning to hit the brakes. When I see cars poised like that on my pushbike I slow down. You can never be certain that they have seen you.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2014, 06:07:43 AM »

I was pretty shocked when I watched this the other day. The two questions that came to mind were; did he have his headlight on and just how fast was he going? Certainly so fast that the black Clio seems to come from nowhere. I presume he did see it, and that should have been a massive warning to hit the brakes and get right over to the left. When I see cars poised like that on my pushbike I slow down. You can never be certain that they have seen you.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2014, 08:20:26 AM »

Neil, the report I saw on TV re the accident stated that he was travelling at 97mph. The speed limit on that road would have been 60mph or possibly lower. This, in round figures, is the equivalent of doing 50 in a 30 limit or 115 on a motorway.

I think that no-one would find any of those speeds acceptable or justifiable.

I just feel very sorry for those he left behind.

Andy
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2014, 09:14:12 AM »

Motorbike headlights are always on. I agree with others that the 97 mph speed was the major contributing factor of this tragedy. I understand that the car driver admitted that not only had they not seen the bike but they also hadn't seen the following car - which is a bit worrying.
I attended a BikeSafe course some years ago and cannot praise them highly enough. They are run by serving Police motorcyclists. One of the many aspects covered was how a bike can become invisible if in front of another vehicle when the motorbike headlight merges with one the the other vehicles headlights (typically a bus or a truck). In fact, they discussed a local incident where a bike was killed when a car pulled out across him. The photos showed the usual scenario and fault seemed clearly to lie with the car driver until it was pointed out that the bike's speed at point of impact was 87mph.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »

Just had a look at the tachymetre on my watch. At that speed a mile is covered in 36 seconds. So although both are at fault, you have to bear in mind that just 9 seconds before the motorist turns he was still a quarter of a mile away.

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »

Motorbike headlights are always on. I agree with others that the 97 mph speed was the major contributing factor of this tragedy. I understand that the car driver admitted that not only had they not seen the bike but they also hadn't seen the following car - which is a bit worrying.
I attended a BikeSafe course some years ago and cannot praise them highly enough. They are run by serving Police motorcyclists. One of the many aspects covered was how a bike can become invisible if in front of another vehicle when the motorbike headlight merges with one the the other vehicles headlights (typically a bus or a truck). In fact, they discussed a local incident where a bike was killed when a car pulled out across him. The photos showed the usual scenario and fault seemed clearly to lie with the car driver until it was pointed out that the bike's speed at point of impact was 87mph.

This won't be helped by what appears to be the current attitude of the Police in ignoring vehicles with one headlamp working, I wrote to Bedfordshire's Chief Constable, the Transport Minister & my local MP 18 months ago about this, but  I received was a typical 'Sod Off letter in return from a minion of the Chief Constable, although not couched in those terms, a snotty reply from the Transport Ministry telling me it was nothing to do with them and that they were sure the Chief Constable of Bedfordshire was dealing with the matter.
And a great silence from my MP.
There hasn't been any improvement since then and the problem is getting much worse, as more drivers (Suicidal Morons?) seem to be indulging in the practice, knowing no doubt that they aren't liable to be prosecuted.
Often in a 6 mile journey on the A6 to Luton I see at least a dozen vehicles with a headlamp out and that's only the ones coming in the opposite direction, I hate to think what the scale of the problem is Countrywide; and don't even get me started on tail lamps and brake lights Angry

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »

... or car drivers with 100% tinted front side windows - a deliberate offence ignored by the police.Visibility and eye contact  are essential for bike riders - we need to see that drivers are aware of our presence and have seen us. Can never understand why the police appear to see this as a minor matter when it can have significant and fatal consequences.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:19:57 PM »

As long as they have their cameras slowing people down for 40 feet then all is right with the world.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd