Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 12:19:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unequal length trumpets  (Read 3221 times)
RobD
Lapsed

« on: 14 January, 2015, 06:42:19 PM »

Targa Florio Classics are flogging a significantly modified Fulvia on eBay. I was interested to see it sports unequal length inlet trumpets and wondered if anybody had any experience of these.
Presumably the staggered trumpets are supposed to compensate for the V4s unequal length inlet tracts but I would have thought the only way to do this properly would be to stagger the distance of the throttles rather than the length of the trumpets so that the mixture has the same distance to travel. This would of course require four individual carbs using bike carbs or similar and I must confess I'd recently considered the possibility of doing this using some single choke 36mm Dellortos I've got knocking about, hence my interest.
My first thought regarding the staggered trumpets is that it looks quite radical but probably does very little but I'm always open to persuasion.
 Does anybody know if there is any science or Fulvia experience to back it up?

You're all entitled to my opinion.
'75 Fulvia 1.3S
'68 works Laverda 125cc ISDT
KTM 640 Adventure
Yamaha TDM 900
Numerous Gas Gas trail bikes...
www.adventureride.co.uk
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:33:33 AM »

I've been meaning to ask about this for some time. It doesn't seem logical to me. As you say, they are staggered long, short, long, short. But if the inlet manifold is basically similar in design to say my standard 1300, then the outer inlets are longer than the inner two. I thought the idea is to equalise the length. So to me they should be short, long, long, short. Be interesting to hear the explanation.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »

Hi

Looking at the picture, I think the answer may be a simple, equal length ones would not fit as the inlet end flange on them would interfere with the next one, so they used unequal ones which just give the clearance, bit bonkers to my mind, but if that was his only choice....

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »

To be honest, I didn't look at the Targa Florio photos until afterwards. I was basing my comments on lots of others I've seen on the internet. The clashing of the trumpets seems the only answer, Surprised (especially with some of the Italian tuning places) that nobody has come up with a siamesed pair similar to the old Ferrari V12's. Shouldn't be beyond a competent engineer. Unless of course, as RobD said, the difference is so miniscule it's not worth it?

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »

From http://var1016.blogspot.co.uk/2007/02/fulvia-developments-part-vi.html?=1

* fuel%20injected%20fulvia%20engine.JPG (24.24 KB, 280x193 - viewed 458 times.)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd