Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:41:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-commissioning a car.  (Read 9301 times)
mikegamble

« on: 06 August, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

The car I've bought hasn't been on the road since 2002 when it went to Omicron for some work to and there is a bill for just over £4000 for this with the car, although I haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure what exactly was carried out.

The car still runs and drives but apart from the obvious things to do when putting a vehicle back onto the road after such a long lay up, is there anything that I should be aware of, or address that may be specific to these cars? All cars seem to have their unusual quirks!
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »

The car in question:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C524284

David Laver, Lewisham.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2014, 04:54:20 PM »

Wow! That is going to be gorgeous. The interior looks spot on and that is often the hardest bit to bring back up to a good standard. I think that's a good price too.
A 2000 HF is probably my dream Lancia.

Frank
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

obvious stuff like the brakes,brake fluid , exhaust, fuel lines,fuel filters, tyres, battery, anti freeze strength etc etc etc . my car has been off the road a bit longer but everything is fritzed, or has crumbled away such as the back light cluster. Your new car looks really good so it might be a case of some gentle test drives after you have done the safety stuff. I restored a 1967 Kugelfischer powered coupe a few years ago the main issue was the engine where one of the liners wasn't nipping the head gasket up enough requiring some replacement of the gasket at the crank end of the liner.
have fun
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »

You may have to remove the brake callipers and exercise the pistons . My Hf Coupe when I got it had the callipers re-built by the previous owner but was laid up . When I went to look at the car the water pump had a small leak and the brakes  were binding slightly. This did not deter me in the slightest I was buying it anyway Grin, On the trip home the brakes really got stuck on and the water leak turned into Niagra falls  Shocked.  so I reckon on changing the brake fluid , removing the callipers and exercising the brake pistons by getting someone to push the brake pedal while you watch the pistons and don't let them come out to far . Also check the condition of the fuel hoses going to the injectors they could be past their best, the last thing you want is an engine fire  Huh?. Also check the tank by draining it at the bung in the bottom if it. . there are a lot more bits to do but these would be my first jobs . The next thing is to enjoy the car , I love my one  Grin Thanks. David.
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2014, 10:29:36 PM by HF_Dave » Logged

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »

depending on the condition of the calipers I would always look to rebuild them - seal kits are cheap and if the dust covers are damaged at all then this can lead to further corrosion down stream. You can check the pistons thoroughly too.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
mikegamble

« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2014, 06:30:33 AM »

Well the car arrived yesterday evening and was dropped off at the local garage for them to put it through an MOT and see how bad things are.

When the car arrived the battery wasn't connected and the delivery chap said that the car was winched on, not driven. I little worrying as I was told it was a runner.

Also, the bodywork was a little worse than described. I was expecting some welding/metalwork obviously but not quite this much. There also appears to be damage on the drivers side where the sill has been damaged and pushed up.

Also, the bonnet is damaged as is the roof but, on a positive note, the interior is lovely!

I'm guessing the answer is 'no' but are any repair panels available for the car, and if so, where and who does them?
mikegamble

« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2014, 06:38:39 AM »

Also, what oil would you recommend, AGIP F1?

mikegamble

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »

Just popped down to the garage with £20 of fuel as I guessed it was bound to be on empty. They had just connected the (wrong sized) battery it started first turn of the switch, I was made up!

Any secret tips on how to get into the boot? The release lever isn't working properly and it's not quite disengaging.
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2014, 08:28:08 AM »

Mike, I use Castrol Classic 20W/50 oil. I need to repair/renew my bonnet (leading edge is getting crunchy underneath). I have just returned from holiday in Italy and found someone selling 2000 HF bits incl. Bonnet and boot lid. I am going to contact him and will let you know what he has and his costs etc.
I would also strongly recommend getting the CD of the HF manuals from http://www.viva-lancia.com/specials/cd/flavia-cd.php.

Best of luck - great that we have another HF coming back on the road.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
mikegamble

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »

Mike, I use Castrol Classic 20W/50 oil. I need to repair/renew my bonnet (leading edge is getting crunchy underneath). I have just returned from holiday in Italy and found someone selling 2000 HF bits incl. Bonnet and boot lid. I am going to contact him and will let you know what he has and his costs etc.
I would also strongly recommend getting the CD of the HF manuals from http://www.viva-lancia.com/specials/cd/flavia-cd.php.

Best of luck - great that we have another HF coming back on the road.

I would be very interested in the boot lid. Mine is probably past saving!
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »

Mike,

With regard to getting in to the boot, have you tried putting some pressure on the bootlid whilst someone operates the lever ?, that sometimes works.

Bob

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
mikegamble

« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

Mike,

With regard to getting in to the boot, have you tried putting some pressure on the bootlid whilst someone operates the lever ?, that sometimes works.

Bob

We tried it yesterday morning with no luck but I'll pop down again tomorrow and have another go.
I've also been advised that if required the boot can be accessed via the back of the rear seat.
It's been a while since I've tried such gymnastics!
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 14 August, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

Standard fix for a stuck boot lid lock used to be to remove the back seat and make a stack of every socket set extension you can get your hands on then spend happy hours playing the party game of trying to get a socket onto the boot lock retaining bolts.

I don't have a clue what the layout of the bolts is on a Flavia / 2000 but if it lends itself to this solution it is better than damaging the boot lid.

However the Gurus may have some sneakier tricks.

Frank
mikegamble

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »

I think if we don't manage to open my Monday, this will be the way forward. I just want to make sure I don't damage any of the interior.

Does the seat lift out fairly easily?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd