Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:32:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta 1.6 HF Turbo (Power Steering)  (Read 3395 times)
RogerW
Lapsed

« on: 19 July, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »

Hi All

Has anyone fitted power steering to these cars.  If so what are the implications.

thanks very much

Roger
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »

At the Crystal Palace sprint I was walking along with the family and remarked "I wonder how long until we see a Strada Abarth here..."  (I have one named Patch, needs a bit of welding and then some, came free and many have remarked that he got the better deal than me).  Ten seconds later this one comes past.

http://www.mlmotorsport.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ML-Motorsport/14546041155

It has electric power steering - the type with a motor strapped to the steering column and a ECU.  Maybe from a Polo but my memory isn't good enough to be sure. Are the Strada and Delta closely enough related for that to be relevant?  He'd made it LOOK easy...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »

Hi All

Has anyone fitted power steering to these cars.  If so what are the implications.

thanks very much

Roger

I looked at fitting power steering to my HF Turbo about 18 years ago as it was too heavy for my wife to drive, John Brain had suggested the power steering from a Fiat Regatta model, which would have fitted, but I was concerned about the effects  it would have as the HF's steering is quick and precise, whereas the Regatta's was lower geared, so I never went ahead with the project but sold the HF and bought A series 3 Thema Auto instead!

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
RogerW
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »

Thanks David and Brian.

This is obviouisly going to be complicated so doubt I will bother.  My wife also will not drive it after trying to get it down the drive and onto the road.  Has become to use to turning the steering wheel with 2 fingers.

It is heavy though at slow speeds.  Went wrong down a country lane recently and decided to stop and turn around instead of looking for a lay by or similar.  What a performance!!  That said once on the road its brilliant.

Many admiring glances at  Sherborne classic car show yesterday!   
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »

The Strada was a competition car so he wasn't bothered about cutting the dash about but it was neat and tidy.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:49:05 AM »

Hi Roger

How old are the tyres on the car? We had a 1600GTie a few years back and the steering was heavy on that too. When I changed the tyres the
steering was greatly improved, not to power assisted standards obviously but Margaret used it as her daily driver for a couple of years with no
problem.

Regards

Steve
RogerW
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »

Hi Steve.

I checked the tyres and they are the correct size for the car.  Also the tread is good.  I guess these cars are just heavy going at slow speed. 

Thanks

Roger
Andy D

« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »

I can confirm that they are indeed heavy going at low speed!

1990 Delta HF Turbo i.e.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd