Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:05:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurelia build details - including engine numbers  (Read 9064 times)
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« on: 26 March, 2014, 11:36:52 AM »

Some of you might remember my frustrations of a year or two ago, when I was trying to discover the original engine number for my B20-2959, which I bought without an engine or any history.

Although the Registro Aurelia (of which I was a member at the time) had the engine number, they would not provide me with it, apparently because of an 'anti - forgery' policy. The Registro were prepared to confirm an engine number as correct or not, if you provided that number.

I have now discovered that it is now possible to get access to these build records via Fiat. I emailed them them on Sunday evening, received a reply by 8.30 am on Monday morning, and have the car's full build details in my hands today, Wednesday. There is a fee of 45 Euros for this service.

Initial contact was to:
   centroarchiviostorico@fiatspa.com

I then received a reply from:
    Massimo Castagnola - massimo.castagnola@fgm-cc.com (Fiat Group Marketing and Corporate Communications).

Text as follows:
Here are the information available in the original register of production of Lancia Aurelia B20 Coupé with chassis B20*2959:
 - manufactured: 11/6/1954
 - body color blu
 - interior rag (panno) grey
 -  body (scocca) n. 002000
 - engine (motore) n.3640
 - differential gear (differenziale) n. 1083
 - suspension ant. ( sospensione ant.) n. 1991
 - drive box (guida) n. 2033.

So, I am now putting out feelers to everyone I know who might be able to help, to see if anyone knows the whereabouts of Engine B20-3640 or its remains.  Paul?

Although it is a very long shot, there's a chance that, were I able to track down the original engine, it might provide some clues as to my car's history, currently blank.
« Last Edit: 26 March, 2014, 12:33:51 PM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »

William, that was prompt service, despite the cost of 45 Euros, do you know the history of your current engine, did it come from another car, could they supply those details?

Neil

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »

Hi Neil,

Interesting question. The engine I have acquired for the car is a 4th Series engine (B20-4051; thanks to Chris Gawne), but I hadn't thought of tracking it back to 'its' original car. Why not?  It is part of the current 'matching number' insanity, to think that each car needs its original engine. Why not the other way around??

Somehow I doubt that Fiat is going to provide details based on engine number, but perhaps they're keen on the revenue. I certainly didn't have to provide any proof of ownership to get the details for B20-2959.

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »

William, I have the details of which car engine B20 4051 was originally fitted to. I will send you a personal message.

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »

I always used to use the Fiat archive to get details for our Aurelias in the 1990s but for some reason I thought they had either lost interest in Lancia or they didnt offer the service any more. And so I turned to the registro being a member anyway.
Glad you got it sorted William and I wonder what car engine 4051 came out of - I have no idea.
chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:40:56 PM »

Did you write in English or Italian ?

I wonder if they can work backwards and give the original registration number as well ? ie I have the engine/box/chassis details but need the original number plate number ......

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2014, 07:09:37 AM »

I believe I am correct in saying that if one has the original Italian Licence  number for a car which one owns, one can (could?) obtain the original pwners details from the Italian equivalent of the DVLA. And if the car is exported then subsequently re-imported into Italy, the original licence number can be applied for and obtained. Quite a good service.
Original licence numbers are hightly prized on old cars there.
I managed to  get the original registration details for our 1st series B20 (because the original Italian paperwork came with the car when I bought it in Switzerland) but our other Aurelias which were imported to the UK in the 50's and 60's have no record of their original Italian registration details on the buff logbooks or at the DVLA.
Such a shame that the wheelers and dealers who were importing Aurelias then into the UK such as David Piper and Dan Marguiles didnt keep records.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »

William,

That's a nice piece of information. Whilst I know the storys about the supposed fate of the Fulvia records its got to be worth a punt to see if they can provide anything for them. I've got all the original italian registration documents for my car as well; first registered to a Dr in Rome 31/1/70.

Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »

Did you write in English or Italian ?

I wonder if they can work backwards and give the original registration number as well ? ie I have the engine/box/chassis details but need the original number plate number ......

English. No need for the power of Google Translate this time!

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
Niels Jonassen

« Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2014, 08:08:13 PM »

I believe that the Touring Club Italiano may have all details of car registrations. At least they used to.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 27 March, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »

Thanks, "Google translate" and I will contact them

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »

I wrote directly to Massimo Castagnola (in English) and had the document in my hands within 5 days - excellent service ! Interesting to note that the 3rd ser Appia still has the original engine and the body matches the chassis plate ! But I haven't checked the rest yet. NB The documentation doesn't include gearbox details

Thanks for the tip, will hopefully help with registering here

simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »

Another letter arrived today, from Massimo, with details from another source - "Register of Manufacture", this time including the gearbox details.

The last letter referred to "Register of Production". It also give a slightly different production date !

stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »

William,

That's a nice piece of information. Whilst I know the storys about the supposed fate of the Fulvia records its got to be worth a punt to see if they can provide anything for them. I've got all the original italian registration documents for my car as well; first registered to a Dr in Rome 31/1/70.

Neil

What was the supposed fate of the Fulvia records? I had all the Italian paperwork on mine, first and second owners, registered in Treviso. When I registered it here in France they took everything away and gave me a whole new document with just first registration date etc. If I'd known I would have taken a copy of the Italian papers. I hope it's just filed away at the local prefecture, I might pop in one day and ask for a copy.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »

The story is that they were all lost in a flood! Might be hearsay but it seems to be the common story.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd