Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 10:58:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Book - "Lancia in the UK" - Thoughts and Reviews  (Read 48084 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 16 March, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »

That's a bit galling for those of us have yet to receive our copies.....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 16 March, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »

Very frustrating when others are still waiting for their copy, but there's always someone out to make a quick bob or two.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 16 March, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »

mine arrived last week, looks great just need time to read it now!!! I have to say I was so pleased that my dad made a mention in it and I'm proud that he did. good work on making the book and to all those involved in making it happen well done great job  Smiley

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #18 on: 16 March, 2014, 11:33:51 PM »

Maybe it's a copy that's gone astray in the post??? I can't believe it's been read already! I've skimmed through mine and know I'm going to enjoy it to the full.

I suspect that there might have to be an addendum or a sequel and the way James is going saving cars that most of us wouldn't consider viable he'll have a chapter to himself.....

Augusta, Aprilia, Fulvia and Lambda with a special B20 to come? Is there any model he won't touch?

Guy
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »

Very frustrating when others are still waiting for their copy, but there's always someone out to make a quick bob or two.
Brian
8227 Cool

What 'we' all tend to forget is that only 20% of members take any active part in the club (events, forum, articles for VL etc.) to the silent majority membership is pretty much just a subscription to VL and perhaps a vacarious feeling of belonging.

So frustrating (haven't got mine) but not entirely surprising.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »

That's a bit galling for those of us have yet to receive our copies.....

...should have had a binding clause when originally paid for, may not be resold for a 10 yr period after initial purchase and each book numbered and attached to each buyer......or is that too George Wellian??!!

Wink

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:28:12 AM »

[/quote]
What 'we' all tend to forget is that only 20% of members take any active part in the club (events, forum, articles for VL etc.) to the silent majority membership is pretty much just a subscription to VL and perhaps a vacarious feeling of belonging.

[/quote]

Pros and cons there ...if we didn't have the other 80% subscribing to the LMC, then for the active ( in whatever capacity) remainder the subs would be a couple of hundred quid a year or it would become a be non-viable entity!

The 20% I believe ( someone correct me) is quite a high percentage of active members compared to lots of clubs. The much more important aspect is the clubs long life and quality of its membership.

Ideally, each joining member should be automatically enrolled onto the forum to start with and as I keep harping on, equally highlighted in all club publications, not just a single reference in VL.

P

Frank Gallagher
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #22 on: 17 March, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »

From what I understood about the subsidising of the print run and hence the purchase price we paid both of the first, and to those who elected to buy it, the second copy, I do find this distasteful so soon after being received. I realise that controlling sales of them is not possible and multiple purchase helps the print run, but even so....

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #23 on: 17 March, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »

Brian
8227 Cool

The seller's profile states "currently reducing my collection of rare Lancia magazines from the 1960's onwards!" which is fair enough. However, re-selling a newly published book which has been subsidised by a very generous donation to the club is less so.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 17 March, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »

I may have bought a few items off this seller in the past, indeed it appears hes still a member?

P

Frank Gallagher
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 17 March, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »

Hi everyone,

Don't lose sight of the fact that this topic is about YOUR thoughts on the book and while interesting it's appeared on ebay, please start a separate topic if you'd like to discuss that - otherwise we'll be in danger of losing the reviews (and I'll really like to keep them together)

Steve (with admin hat on)

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »

Apols Steve, can you move the posts to a new thread...or maybe delete them, I don't mind

P

Frank Gallagher
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 17 March, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »

No worries P, I shall leave it in but can everyone please keep to the title Smiley

Anyway :  after having received it last Friday and working my way through it (not front to back but dipping in and out!) here are some thoughts :  

It's lovely, really well put together and would stand alongside La Lancia. It's not that technical (or as technical as you'd think) but does what it says - tells the story of Lancia in Britain and as such is going to be a unique book. There's lots of detail in there - far too much detail for a quick read! - and so I'm working my way through the chapters (I started with Rust - but then that that's what I first remember). There's lots of facts and figures and also lots of quotes from people I know making it something that I can easily relate to. There's also a lot of stuff that I didn't really know about - armoured Lancias and the reasons for the club forming.

Best wishes to all the team who put it together and the contributors ! Job well done!

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #28 on: 17 March, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »

I've got it! - my copy has just arrived, and it is most definitely worth waiting for. I am immediately  impressed by the research that has been done and delighted to see so many fascinating photographs - not just cars, but so many people and souvenirs of the time that the Lancia name really meant something very special in the UK. Well done to the Committee for putting Ted's legacy to such good effect - and of course enormous thanks to Jack for putting it together. Now I must get on with treading it. And - Lorna is delighted to see her photo with Ted!!
mrmarkyt
Lapsed

« Reply #29 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »

Hi All

I am the seller on ebay and just wanted to put the record straight...

I am a big Lancia fan and have been an LMC member off and on for some years.

I also have a massive collection of Lancia (and other makers) items built up since I was a kid, so 30+ years worth.

I have already sold many items to members on here and to others worldwide.

I am selling the book as I ordered it some while back for myself and my Dad to read.

In February of this year my Dad, who got me into Italian cars and collecting, sadly passed away.

I have read the bits I am interested in and as storage is an issue have decided to sell it.

No offence ever intended..

Thanks
Mark..

« Last Edit: 17 March, 2014, 09:30:39 PM by mrmarkyt » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd